January 5-6th, 2024 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI - A Happy New Year Genjo!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

January 5-6th, 2024 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI - A Happy New Year Genjo!!

REMEMBER: Time has changed for Daylight Savings!

We welcome the NEW YEAR with something very fitting, a new section of

Genjo Koan

'Realizing the Truth Right Here.'

(text below)

Dear All,

Please sit our Monthly 4-Hour Treeleaf Zazenkai netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 6pm to 10pm, Los Angeles 3pm to 7pm (Friday night), London 11pm to 3am and Paris midnight to 4am (early Saturday morning)), and also sitable any time thereafter:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
    Hello, Sangha Our Treeleaf Zendo Podcast begins a new series of talks, this time on master Dogen´s Genjo Koan, based on the modernized translation of the fascicle by our very own Jundo, found in his book ¨The Zen Master's Dance (https://wisdomexperience.org/product/the-zen-masters-dance/)¨ The first episode in the series,

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN & HOKEY-POKEY RITUAL

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING
    ATTENTION: Everyone, when rising for Kinhin or Ceremonies after Zazen, get up slowly, don't rush, hold something stable, you won't be "late," so TAKE YOUR TIME! Make sure you are careful getting up!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

A little talk about small customs and rituals in the Zendo (such as straightening our slippers, not taking a short cut across the room, keeping our hands a certain way), and why those are elements of practice. It applies mostly when sitting in a formal group, like our weekly Treeleaf Zazenkai, but it is good to incorporate the

tsuku.jpg
    Last edited by Bion; 01-05-2024, 09:57 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Jundo
    • Apr 2006

This is the sixth (and last) in a monthly series based on my modernized translation of the Genjo Koan, from my book ...

THE ZEN MASTER’S DANCE
    A Guide to Understanding Dōgen and Who You Are in the Universe

https://wisdomexperience.org/product...masters-dance/

Other translations of the Genjo can be found here for comparison: (LINK)

Today a message very appropriate for a good life in this New Year and every day ...

... when we find our place where we are here and now, practice
    occurs that actualizes the universe. When we find our way in
    this moment, practice occurs that actualizes the universe.

In truth, the place and the way are neither large nor small,
    are not just the self nor others. The place and the way are
    neither things that have come from the past,
    nor are they only arising now.

Right here is the pivot point of our life and practice. The happy places and sad places, the birth places and death places, the high places and low places are each and all right here. Further, your place and actions may seem small and finite, but they are also the whole universe and all the other things in it acting boundlessly in each small step and gesture. It is big things and small things and things beyond measure. It is you and others and neither you nor others. It comes from the past and heads into the future, yet each instant is timeless and it’s only right now.

I like to remind people that, when they smile or cry, it is the whole universe smiling and crying. So take care of what is before you. This is where practice begins and where enlightenment is made real and brought to life. Each small act that you do, if appreciated as sacred and complete, is thoroughly undertaken as the whole universe. Equally, in the practice-enlightenment of the Buddha Way, truly meeting one thing is realizing one thing thoroughly; doing one practice is practicing one thing completely. Right here is the place, right here the way is realized. The place and way of realization are not distinct and apart, for their realization manifests as one with the thorough mastery of the Buddhist teachings right here, right now. ...

... Whether you act with greed, anger, and division right here, or generosity, peace, and wholeness right here, is just up to what you choose to do in this moment.

Do not assume that what you realize becomes something
    you know or is perceived consciously as some state of
    “enlightenment.” Although brought to realization immediately
    here and now, the mysterious state may not be
    apparent to the mind. Its realization may be beyond ordinary
    discriminating knowledge.

It is up to you to breathe life into wisdom, to make the unified whole show its face in this world of separation, to bring a touch of beauty to a planet of frequent ugliness, to manifest peace for a human race that swings between peace and war. We can always do something, big or small, to make things better. Wholeness, beauty, and peace are always present, like the moon hidden beyond the horizon. But it is up to you, me, and each of us to uncover them and manifest them in this life.

Here is a story that Dōgen tells:

Zen Master Baoche of Mt. Mayu was fanning himself. A
    young monk came before him and asked, “Master, the
    nature of air is always present and there is no place where it
    does not reach. Why then do you fan yourself?”

“Although you may know that the nature of the air is
    always present,” Master Baoche replied, “you have not understood
    the meaning of its reaching everywhere.”

The monk asked further, “Then what is the meaning of
    its reaching everywhere, Master?”

The master just carried on fanning himself.

The monk bowed deeply.

... Dōgen closes his letter with these words:

The verification of the Buddhist teachings, the vivid
    means of their correct transmission, is just like this. We
    need to work to make it appear in life. If you believe that
    you can do without fanning because the air is always
    present, you will understand neither “always present”
    nor the nature of air. The nature of air is present always,
    thus the wind of the Buddha’s house is a treasure like
    gold from the earth, turning its long rivers into sweet cream.

Enlightenment, like gold in the earth, is always present but in need of your digging hands to be revealed. It is like cream that is ever plentiful but needs our churning and skimming effort to let it rise and make it sweet. Then, the treasure is ours and we are nourished. Only then might we realize the truth right here.

Dōgen then dates his letter:

Written in mid-autumn, the first year of Tempuku (1233),
    and given to my lay student Koshu Yō of Kyushu Island.
    Revised in the fourth year of Kenchō (1252).

~ ~ ~
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-05-2024, 04:15 AM.

Comment

• Jundo
      • Apr 2006

For this new Year of the Dragon 2024 ...

Last edited by Jundo; 01-05-2024, 04:46 AM.

Comment

• afellownoself
        • Dec 2023

Originally posted by Jundo
        dance
        https://app.suno.ai/song/47a89b9c-d2...8-d565baec627c

(I have been playing around with these new AI song generators )

Right here is the pivot point of our life and practice. The happy places and sad places, the birth places and death places, the high places and low places are each and all right here. Further, your place and actions may seem small and finite, but they are also the whole universe and all the other things in it acting boundlessly in each small step and gesture. It is big things and small things and things beyond measure. It is you and others and neither you nor others. It comes from the past and heads into the future, yet each instant is timeless and it’s only right now.
        gassho, Aaron
        satlah

Comment

• Tai Do
          • Jan 2019

Thank you, Jundo and everyone, for this beautiful New Year Zazenkai.
          Happy New Year to all!
          Gassho,
          Tai Do
          Satlah
          怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
          (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Comment

• Kotei
            Treeleaf Unsui
            • Mar 2015

Thank you everyone,
            Shonin's creativity and Keith's dragon made me laugh even more than my own dragon impersonation "dance" :-D
            Gassho,
            Kotei sat/lah today.
            義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Comment

• Bion
              Treeleaf Unsui
              • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Kotei
              Thank you everyone,
              Shonin's creativity and Keith's dragon made me laugh even more than my own dragon impersonation "dance" :-D
              Gassho,
              Kotei sat/lah today.
              I would like to formally request a recording of your dragon dance! [emoji1]

Gassho
              Sat and lah
              "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• afellownoself
                • Dec 2023

Thank you for a lovely Zazenkai.

Before Treeleaf, Genjo Koan really shook me. It had much to do with undoing past ideologies I grew up with, that I did not believe in, but wanted to because they made me "feel good" about death.

Jundo interpreting with dance pulled my mind back from being too esoteric about it. This morning I realize how much ego needs to fall off, and feeling the "beginner every day" mindset.

It feels like the imposter syndrome battle I refused to dance with. Time to learn some Salsa!

gassho, Aaron
                satlah

Comment

• Shinshi
                  Treeleaf Unsui
                  • Jul 2010

Sorry, I just saw this earlier today and the talk inspired me.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
                  空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
                  There are those who, attracted by grass, flowers, mountains, and waters, flow into the Buddha way.
                  -Dogen
                  E84I - JAJ

Comment

• Houzan
                    • Dec 2022

Sat this one today.
                    Thank you all[emoji120]

Gassho, Hōzan (Michael)
                    Satlah

Comment

Working...