Aug 26-27 Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - MORE Zen can solve ALL your problems! (REALLY!!)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Aug 26-27 Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - MORE Zen can solve ALL your problems! (REALLY!!)

Dear All,

Our little Talk this time will dance a Koan:

Book of Serenity, Case 94 - Tozan's Illness:

Tozan was ill. A monk asked, "Osho, you're sick. Is there someone not sick?”
    Tozan answered, ''Yes, there is."
    The monk asked, "Does the one who is not sick look after you?"
    Tozan replied, "This old monk is able to look after others!"
    The monk asked, "Osho, how about when you look after others?"
    Tozan said, "Then the having of sickness is not seen."

Please sit our Treeleaf Zazenkai for 90 minutes with Zazen, Heart Sutra and more:

10am Japan Saturday morning, NY 9pm, LA 6pm Friday night, London 2am and Paris 3am Saturday morning, or any time thereafter here:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS
    01:30 - 01:45(?) Informal Tea Time (All Welcome)

ATTENTION: Everyone, when rising for Kinhin or Ceremonies after Zazen, get up slowly, don't rush, hold something stable, you won't be "late," so TAKE YOUR TIME! Make sure you are careful getting up!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-26-2022, 01:23 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Bion
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Aug 2020

Ok, I’m ready to bring my problems to have them solved! Make some room in the zazendo, please! [emoji3526]

[emoji1374] Sat Today
    "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Tokan
      Treeleaf Unsui
      • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Bion
      Ok, I’m ready to bring my problems to have them solved! Make some room in the zazendo, please! [emoji3526]

[emoji1374] Sat Today
      Me too! Thank goodness we practice in 'boundless space'

Gassho, Tokan (satlah)
      平道 島看 Heidou Tokan (Balanced Way Island Nurse)
      I enjoy learning from everyone, I simply hope to be a friend along the way

Comment

• Anchi
        • Sep 2015

That was very lovely ! Thank you everyone!

Jewels and pearls of wisdom in every talk.
        Your words are inspiring and lovely. Thank you Jundo.

Sending all my sincere respect and gratitude for always bringing a smile and peace!

ln Peace with Nine Bows,
        Anchi
        Life itself is the only teacher.
        一 Joko Beck

STLah
        安知 Anchi

Comment

• Kiri
          • Apr 2019

Thank you everyone!
          Gassho, Kiri
          Sat/Lah
          希 rare
          理 principle
          (Nikolas)

Comment

• Tairin
            • Feb 2016

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning.

Nice talk Jundo.

Tairin
            Sat today and lah
            泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

All of life is our temple

Comment

• Koriki
              • Apr 2022

Nice sitting with you today. I'm reminded of when I was a little kid and I had a big ball of clay. I'd pinch off a few pieces and make a few little men. Then pinch off another and make a dog, etc. Did the creatures I made also think that they were separate or did they know that they were part of the same ball of clay?

Gassho,
              Mark
              s@ lah

Comment

• Jundo
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by MarkJ
                Nice sitting with you today. I'm reminded of when I was a little kid and I had a big ball of clay. I'd pinch off a few pieces and make a few little men. Then pinch off another and make a dog, etc. Did the creatures I made also think that they were separate or did they know that they were part of the same ball of clay?

Gassho,
                Mark
                s@ lah
                I am gonna steal that story.

I guess you were their god with clay feet.

Gassho, J

stlah

Comment

• Uran
                  • Jul 2022

Wonderful to sit with you all this evening.

And I apologize for bowing in all the wrong ways a couple of weeks ago. From my screen all I could see was the zendo and didn't have anyone to follow. I figured I wouldn't panic and would just do the best I could but I so appreciate the tutorial.

Gassho,
                  Aimee

sat today
                  Aimee B.

Comment

• Koushi
                    Treeleaf Unsui / Engineer
                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Aimeebeing
                    And I apologize for bowing in all the wrong ways a couple of weeks ago. From my screen all I could see was the zendo and didn't have anyone to follow. I figured I wouldn't panic and would just do the best I could but I so appreciate the tutorial.
                    No reason to apologize, Aimee! It's all a repetition and learning thing—and to be honest, if I don't hear a bell fully or I notice my knee twinging more than the words chanted, I still bow in the wrong place after these years

Gassho,
                    koushi
                    STLaH
                    理道弘志 | Ridō Koushi

Please take this novice priest-in-training's words with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Jundo
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Aimeebeing
                      Wonderful to sit with you all this evening.

Gassho,
                      Aimee

sat today
                      We have never kicked anyone out for over or under Bowing.

I flub too. This week, I lit the Incense BEFORE the Ceremony started, when I just was supposed to light the candle alone ... a premature incensing.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah

Comment

• JudyE
                        • Mar 2022

Thank you, everyone! Sat with you all via recording this evening. The talk gave me peace as I remember that the place of refuge is always there.

Gassho,
                        Judy
                        sat/lah

Comment

• Bokugan
                          • Dec 2019

Just finished sitting with you all [emoji1374]

Wonderful talk, Jundo. You mentioning how our experience of the world is a model we create made me think of Donald Hoffman's discussions on how our perceptions of reality are actually like a computer interface...

"For the perceptions of H. sapiens, space-time is the desktop and physical objects are the icons."

Thank you Nengyoku for your eno services and everyone for your practice

Gassho,

Bokugan
                          SatToday

Sorry to run a smidge long!
                          墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
                          Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Comment

• Chikyou
                            • May 2022

Originally posted by Jundo
                            We have never kicked anyone out for over or under Bowing.

I flub too. This week, I lit the Incense BEFORE the Ceremony started, when I just was supposed to light the candle alone ... a premature incensing.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah

The flubs were my favorite part, they served as a fantastic reminder that we're all perfectly imperfect humans and in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter!

I have a question that I've been meaning to ask: when we recite the four vows, what is the purpose of doing so with differing volume/inflection (first normal, then loud, then whisper?)

Gassho,
                            SatLah
                            Kelly
                            Chikyō 知鏡
                            (KellyLM)

Comment

• Jundo
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by KellyLM
                              I have a question that I've been meaning to ask: when we recite the four vows, what is the purpose of doing so with differing volume/inflection (first normal, then loud, then whisper?)
                              Kelly! You get the prize today for asking a question that, I believe, I have never been asked in 16 years here. I don't know! It is something that I inherited from my mentor, Rev. Doshin Cantor of the White Plum (who passed this year), as it was the way in his Sangha when I was sitting there.

It reminds me of a true story, when I once asked a priest at Eiheiji's branch temple in Tokyo about why they ring the bells with a certain pattern. (It turned out later that it is because it is timekeeping signals, like European churchbells). But he did not know, so called an older priest who ALSO did not know, but said to me: "We ring the bells that way because ... that is how we ring the bells!" Very Zen!

I note that the Upaya Zen Center, also connected to the White Plum, is similar in style, slightly more forceful on the second verse, a bit quieter on the third. I will write to Joan Halifax and see if she has some background:

Looking at the Japanese Soto style, it seems to be a fairly consistent monotone:

However, there is a Japanese Rinzai way of chanting the Four Vows (the Shigu Seigan Mon / 四弘誓願文) that is so beautiful. You must listen to this, perhaps one of the loveliest chanting styles I know. Perhaps, because the White Plum is a mixed Soto-Rinzai line, it was an attempt to have some feeling of the same musicality.

In the meantime, I will speak from my own heart what it means:

First, we chant with sincerity and equanimity; Second, we chant we more energy and determination to realize these Vows; Third, we allow the Vows to merge with quiet and stillness.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
                              Last edited by Jundo; 08-29-2022, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Working...