November 15-16th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai: Lion's Pose with the Differently Abled

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kyōsen
    • Aug 2019

I loved reclining with all of you. I found it interesting that reclining is more challenging for me than sitting up, I thought it'd be the other way around!

Gassho
    Sen
    Sat|LAH
    橋川
    kyō (bridge) | sen (river)

Comment

• Kotei
      Treeleaf Unsui
      • Mar 2015

Thank you everyone!
      Found it more difficult not to drift away.

Gassho,
      Kotei sat/lah today.
      義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Comment

• Meian
        • Apr 2015

Reading comments, I learned about myself that sleeping is not about my comfort but my exhaustion level and my pain level.

I also realized that I usually say "sit" for recline even though i usually recline instead of sit. Not sure if i should change my wording, but I'm in the habit of correcting my speech for clarity.

However, I join others here in that this Zazenkai was very "normal" for me, and I'm looking forward to Rohatsu with some reclining segments, and more reclining zazen with you all.

Gassho
        Kim
        Rt. Lh

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
        鏡道 |​ Kyodo (Meian) | "Mirror of the Way"
        visiting Unsui
        Nothing I say is a teaching, it's just my own opinion.

Comment

• Daitetsu
          • Oct 2012

Forgot to report here - reclined this one Monday last week.
          There were a few moments when I struggled with sleep, but all in all it was OK.

Gassho,

Daitetsu

#sat2day
          no thing needs to be added

Comment

• Tai Shi
            • Oct 2014

Let me tell you a story about a small boy named Chuckie. Chuckie's real name was Charles. His mother had given him that name from her father's first name, Chuckie's second name was Elgwyn, this to continue the linage of his grandfather. As Chuckie grew to age 6 the family called him Chuck, so everybody called him Chuck. Charles means Strong Man this name coming from a great French king. All Chucks teachers called him very bright; in fact, as very high in intelligence. Then one day Chuck's father, whose second name was also Elgwyn, or friend of the elves, left the little family for good. Chuck wept to see his father go, so Chuck's mom called him mom's little man, the man of the house. At age 7 Chuck, his brother Dougie, and their mom left California for the far away state of Iowa. In Iowa the kids all called the boy, Chuckie chub, or Chubby Chuck, or ignoramus, or numskull. Then one day when Chuck was in the 5th grade a kind teacher encouraged the boy to show pictures of the dangerous job his father had done in California, working atop high oil rigs. All the children were impressed. Then in the 6th grade Chuck's intelligence was recognized by a stern teacher with a kind heart. Mr Nash kept Chuck after school everyday teaching him difficult subjects, even algebra, and Miss Hansen the 5th grade teacher, taught him history, but the Mean old Miss Anderson taught Chuck no English Literature, and he was so excellent in grammar, but he could not spell, so again the other kids called him numskull. Yet, Mr Nash made sure that in the 7th grade, middle school, that Chuck was promoted to Advanced track learning, one step above the other students. What nobody knew was that Chuck was reading very difficult adult novels when he was 11-years-old. In high school the advanced track continued. When Charles graduated, at the graduation assembly, the principle announced before the entire high school of over 2000 students the four prestigious scholarships Charles had earned one of the difficult colleges, Grinnell College. Charles went on to earn the BA English lit with average grades except in literature, MA English, EDS higher ed, and finally at age 38, the prestigious Master of Fine Arts degree in creative writing. Charles Elgwyn had become a poet. Perhaps the highest compliment, after they were reunited, was when Charles's father asked, "MFA, that's like a PhD isn't it?" "Yes father, it is," but in watching my 30-year-old daughter, it was easier, except no one ever called Charles chubby Chuck, or numskull again. As an adult, Charles at one time weighed 270 lb (ca. 122 kg) and now he weighs 191 lb (ca. 87 kilogram). No one, not even Chuck's brother Doug, ever again called him fat again. After Charles sat Zazen, he recognized there are many types of intelligence, many types of difficulties, and he could not speak or write to these when he asked Robert Douglas if he could tell he loved him. And, his brother answered, "Well, it's okay, it's alright." I must say that Charles enjoys listening to music the height of the Western World, Bach's Violin Concertos. So maybe there are many heights, and Everest is far away. More than is asked, less than exists.

Taishi
            sat/lah
            The Deepest bows to all.
            Gassho
            Last edited by Tai Shi; 12-29-2019, 10:25 PM. Reason: spelling, corrections
            Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

• Tai Shi
              • Oct 2014

I am 68, will I make 69 this next year? Probably, and I believe I am or not the oldest member, knowing that one of our priests is older than me, that there may be one or just a few, the number lower than ten or five? Am I the oldest one looking onto this screen of those visible on this screen? I sit, back into my easy chair recliner, as I have for hundreds of Zazenkai, so even then, lower back dull ache, face prickly with nerves raw, lips dry and protruding from chin rolled with skin, and arms covered with soft cotton, wondering about those lucky enough to be present, their poses all look uncomfortable, typing in quiet meditation having listened to Jakuden sing the Heart Sutra, there is beautiful presence of all my Sangha sisters and brothers, they are fully aware of living beings with minds, and at peace reclining in Lion's pose, meditation as Shikantaza is liberation Shakimundi with quiet for me. Oh, thank you dear Sangha-- please feel free to lighten load of body tissue, and please do as I do every Saturday I participate, will participate weekend of Dec. 5th and Dec. 6th and Dec. 7th (I was born in 1951, the Presidency of Eisenhower.). Tomorrow at 1:00 p.m.
              Tai Shi
              sat
              Gassho
              am I reclining in easy chair? Meditation?
              You're welcome Rich, I did say five or ten, perhaps you are older too, or where do you get such incredible liberating wisdom?
              Taishi
              sat
              Calm Poetry
              Gassho
              Last edited by Tai Shi; 12-29-2019, 10:10 PM. Reason: Thank you.
              Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

• Rich
                • Apr 2009

Aging is such a precious gift. Congratulations young man.

Sat/lah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                _/_
                Rich
                MUHYO
                無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Comment

Working...