July 5-6th 2024 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI - Zazen-Yojinki V

YOJINKI SERIES.jpg

We continue our series on

Master Keizan's 'Zazen-Yōjinki'

坐禅用心記

'Notes to Keep in Heart for Zazen'
    (text below)

Dear All,

Please sit our Monthly 4-Hour Treeleaf Zazenkai LIVE with Zazen, Heart Sutra and more. We meet virtually in our Zoom Scheduled Sitting Room here:
    JOIN ZOOM >>.
    The password (if needed): << dogen >>

For local times, please check the Practice Calendar here: TREELEAF NOW >> (8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning, New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm, Friday night, London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am on early Saturday morning) and also sittable any time thereafter:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off.
    Audio recordings of the Talks in this series are available here:
    Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...408#post339408

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN & HOKEY-POKEY RITUAL

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING
    ATTENTION: Everyone, when rising for Kinhin or Ceremonies after Zazen, get up slowly, don't rush, hold something stable, you won't be "late," so TAKE YOUR TIME! Make sure you are careful getting up!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:
    Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    Some basic decorum and procedures for entering and sitting in your Zendo at home. Also, some instructions on Kinhin &quot;Walking Zazen&quot;. Yuriko the cat stops by to help us too. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ3LvIzX0I0 Remember: recording ends soon after the beginning bells; a sitting time of 15 minutes to 35

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:
    SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo
    A little talk about small customs and rituals in the Zendo (such as straightening our slippers, not taking a short cut across the room, keeping our hands a certain way), and why those are elements of practice. It applies mostly when sitting in a formal group, like our weekly Treeleaf Zazenkai, but it is good to incorporate the
    Last edited by Bion; 07-05-2024, 07:20 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

This is Part V of our series on Keizan Jokin Zenji's 13th Century ...
    ... 'Zazen-Yōjinki'
    (坐禅用心記; 'Notes to Keep in Heart for Zazen')

This week, Master Keizan again tells us what Zazen is, all by highlighting what Zazen is not ...

~ ~ ~

Zazen is also not based upon discipline, practice, or wisdom. These three are all contained within it.

Discipline is usually understood as ceasing wrong action and eliminating evil. In zazen the whole thing is known to be non-dual. Cast off the numberless concerns and rest free from entangling yourself in the “Buddhist way” or the “worldly way.” Leave behind feelings about the path as well as your usual sentiments. When you leave behind all opposites, what can obstruct you? This is the formless discipline of the ground of mind. [ALTERNATE: In zazen we see the whole substance as non dual, cast aside myriad concerns and lay to rest all entanglements. Not concerned with the buddhist way or the worldly way, forgetting feelings about the path as well as mundane feelings, no affirmation or denial, no good or bad - what is there to prevent or stop? This is the formless discipline of the mind ground."]

Practice usually means unbroken concentration. Zazen is dropping the bodymind, leaving behind confusion and understanding. Unshakeable, without activity, it is not deluded but still like an idiot, a fool. Like a mountain, like the ocean. Without any trace of motion or stillness. This practice is no-practice because it has no object to practice and so is called great practice.

Wisdom is usually understood to be clear discernment. In zazen, all knowledge vanishes of itself. Mind and discrimination are forgotten forever. The wisdom-eye of this body has no discrimination but is clear seeing of the essence of awakening. From the beginning it is free of confusion, cuts off concept, and open and clear luminosity pervades everywhere. This wisdom is no-wisdom; because it is traceless wisdom, it is called great wisdom.

The teaching that the buddhas have presented all throughout their lifetimes are just this discipline, practice, and wisdom. In zazen there is no discipline that is not maintained, no practice that is uncultivated, no wisdom that is unrealized. Conquering the demons of confusion, attaining the way, turning the wheel of the Dharma and returning to tracelessness all arise from the power of this. Supernormal powers and inconceivable activities, emanating light and expounding the teaching- all of these are present in this zazen. Penetrating Zen is zazen.

Last edited by Jundo; 07-05-2024, 04:07 AM.

Comment

• Jundo
      • Apr 2006

In this time's ancient Hokey-Pokey Ritual, dancing on the ground, we are reminded that the 'mind ground' manifests as all the changing emotions ...

Last edited by Jundo; 07-05-2024, 04:13 AM.

Comment

I am not able to be live at zazenkai tonight. Family here for 4th of July and will not be available. I am sorry to miss. I will sit with you on demand.

Gassho
        Daiman
        St/LAH

Comment

• Kotei
          Treeleaf Unsui
          • Mar 2015

Thank you everyone!

Gassho,
          Kotei sat/danced/lah today.
          義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Comment

• Bion
            Treeleaf Unsui
            • Aug 2020

Thank you all for another great Zazenkai. Thank you Shinshi for chanting us through!

Gassho
            sat and lah
            "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• PaulH
              • Apr 2023

Thank you, I sat with you although I chose to split it into two parts for two days. 4 hours at once still sounds to me like walking to the moon
              Question - during the Dharma talk and meta verses, is one expected to sit in the lotus/half-lotus/burmese position or it should be a more relaxed one whatever it is?

Gassho
              Paul
              Sat today & Lent a hand

Comment

• Jundo
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by PaulH
                Thank you, I sat with you although I chose to split it into two parts for two days. 4 hours at once still sounds to me like walking to the moon
                Question - during the Dharma talk and meta verses, is one expected to sit in the lotus/half-lotus/burmese position or it should be a more relaxed one whatever it is?

Gassho
                Paul
                Sat today & Lent a hand
                One can sit in Zazen, listening while sitting Zazen, or one can relax and drink tea in some relaxed way ... but just try not to be checking facebook or falling asleep!

Gassho, Jundo

Comment

• Tairin
                  • Feb 2016

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning.

Tairin
                  Sat today and lah
                  泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

All of life is our temple

Comment

• Stacy
                    • Mar 2013

Sat with you today, for what I was able. Thank you.

Gassho,
                    Stacy

ST/LAH

Comment

• Bion
                      Treeleaf Unsui
                      • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Stacy
                      Sat with you today, for what I was able. Thank you.

Gassho,
                      Stacy

ST/LAH
                      Stacy, thank you so much for making the time to sit with us!

Gassho
                      sat and lah
                      "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Jundo
                        • Apr 2006

For translation nerds like me ...

I mentioned during the talk my wondering why, last month, Master Keizan said, "Zazen is not based upon teaching, practice or realization," but this month, " Zazen is also not based upon discipline, practice, or wisdom." Why mention "practice" twice?

Well, he really did not: Looking at the Kanji, the first "practice" really is "practice" (行), but this month's practice is actually not a good translation, not really practice, but is "定" which is better as "Samadhi" or "concentration." That fits in better too with the theme of the paragraph, "unbroken concentration" that really is not.

Gassho, J

stlah
                        Last edited by Jundo; 07-09-2024, 01:38 AM.

Comment

• Houzan
                          • Dec 2022

Sat with you all just now.
                          Thank you, Treeleaf

Gassho, Hōzan
                          Satlah

Comment

• Jundo
                            • Apr 2006

My compliments to Bion who, somehow (it must be one of the "supernormal powers" Keizan was discussing) spliced and threaded all the broken discussion from the Dharma Talk, where we kept loosing and getting back the Zoom connection, into a totally smooth and coherent whole, especially in the audio version for the Podcast. Wow. You worked hard, Bion. The video version here is pretty good too.

Hello, all A new episode of our Treeleaf Podcast is available for streaming on all platforms. We begin a new series of talks, focusing on master Keizan's 'Zazen-Yojinki'. Find the Treeleaf Podcast wherever you usually stream podcasts, or listen to it directly HERE (https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/march-2024-zazenkai-talk

Gassho, J

stlah

Comment

• Kaitan
                              • Mar 2023

Thank you, everyone! Lovely talk, Jundo
                              I didn't know zazen could grant wishes

Gassho

stlah, Kaitan
                              Kaitan - 界探 - Realm searcher
                              Formerly known as "Bernal"