March 1-2nd, 2024 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI - Keizan's Zazen-Yojinki

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

March 1-2nd, 2024 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI - Keizan's Zazen-Yojinki

We begin a new series on

Master Keizan's 'Zazen-Yōjinki'

坐禅用心記

'Notes to Keep in Heart for Zazen'

(text below)

Dear All,

Please sit our Monthly 4-Hour Treeleaf Zazenkai netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 6pm to 10pm, Los Angeles 3pm to 7pm (Friday night), London 11pm to 3am and Paris midnight to 4am (early Saturday morning)), and also sitable any time thereafter:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
    Hello, all A new episode of our Treeleaf Podcast is available for streaming on all platforms. We begin a new series of talks, focusing on master Keizan's 'Zazen-Yojinki'. Find the Treeleaf Podcast wherever you usually stream podcasts, or listen to it directly HERE (https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/march-2024-zazenkai-talk

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN & HOKEY-POKEY RITUAL

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING
    ATTENTION: Everyone, when rising for Kinhin or Ceremonies after Zazen, get up slowly, don't rush, hold something stable, you won't be "late," so TAKE YOUR TIME! Make sure you are careful getting up!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

A little talk about small customs and rituals in the Zendo (such as straightening our slippers, not taking a short cut across the room, keeping our hands a certain way), and why those are elements of practice. It applies mostly when sitting in a formal group, like our weekly Treeleaf Zazenkai, but it is good to incorporate the

Last edited by Jundo; 03-06-2024, 02:31 AM. Reason: Changed month from February to March!
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Jundo
    • Apr 2006

We begin this month a new series of Talks on Keizan Jokin Zenji's 13th Century ...

w1032096356.2.jpg

... 'Zazen-Yōjinki'

(坐禅用心記; 'Notes to Keep in Heart for Zazen')

Master Keizan, considered with Master Dogen one of the two "Founders" of Soto Zen in Japan, lived from 1264 to 1325. His essay “Zazen-Yōjinki” might be considered an expansion and further exploration of Dogen's explanation of Zazen, the 'Fukanzazengi.' The advice is often very practical, covering such topics as how to sit, breathe, what to wear, eat beforehand and what to do on those days when the mind just won't settle down, while other parts of the essay (such as today's portion) are wild, willy and mind wowing as only Zen writings can be!

I will be drawing from a few different translations, including by Anzan Hoshin-Yasuda and by Okumura Roshi, as modified at Antaiji. Also, translations by Masunaga and Cleary.

It begins ...

~ ~ ~

Zazen means to clarify the mind-ground and dwell comfortably in your actual nature. This is called "the display of the Original Face" and "manifesting the original-ground."

In zazen both body and mind drop off, and you will be far beyond such forms as sitting or lying down. Free from considerations of good and bad, zazen transcends distinctions between ordinary people and sages, it goes far beyond judgements of deluded or enlightened. Zazen includes no boundary between sentient beings and buddha. Therefore put aside all affairs, and let go of all associations [attachments]. Do nothing at all. The six senses produce nothing [Don't fabricate any things with the six senses.].

What is this? Its name is unknown. It cannot be called “body”, it cannot be called “mind”. Trying to think of it, the thought vanishes. Trying to speak of it, words die. It is like a fool, an idiot [but also like the sage]. It is as high as a mountain, deep as the ocean. Without peak or depths, its brilliance is unthinkable, it shows itself silently. Between sky and earth, only this whole body is seen.

This one is without comparison – he has completely died. Eyes clear, he stands nowhere. Where is there any dust? What can obstruct such a one?

Clear water has no back or front, space has no inside or outside. Completely clear, its own luminosity shines before form and emptiness were fabricated. Objects of mind and mind itself have no place to exist.

This has always already been so but it is still without a name. The third patriarch Sengcan, great teacher, temporarily called it “mind”, and the venerable Nagarjuna once called it “body.” Enlightened essence and form, giving rise to the bodies of all the Buddhas, it has no “more” or “less” about it [has neither lack nor excess].

This is symbolized by the full moon but it is this mind which is enlightenment itself. The luminosity of this mind shines throughout the past and brightens as the present. Nagarjuna used this subtle symbol for the samadhi of all the Buddhas but this mind is signless, non-dual, and differences between forms are only apparent.

Just mind, just body. Difference and sameness miss the point. Body arises in mind and, when the body arises, they appear to be distinguished. [Only mind, only body - their difference and sameness are not the issue; mind changes into body, and when the body
    appears they are distinguished.] When one wave arises, a thousand waves follow; the moment a single mental fabrication arises, numberless things appear. So the four elements and five aggregates mesh, four limbs and five senses appear and on and on until the thirty-six body parts and the twelve-fold chain of interdependant emergence. Once fabrication arises, it develops continuity but it still only exists through the piling up of myriad dharmas.

The mind is like the ocean waters, the body like the waves. There are no waves without water and no water without waves; water and waves are not separate, motion and stillness are not different. So it is said, "A person comes and goes, lives and dies, as the imperishable body of the four elements and five aggregates."

Zazen is going right into the Ocean of Awareness, manifesting the body of all Buddhas. The natural luminosity of mind suddenly reveals itself and the original light is everywhere. There is no increase or decrease in the ocean and the waves never turn back.

Last edited by Jundo; 03-01-2024, 04:39 AM.

Comment

• Jundo
      • Apr 2006

The Yōjin (用心) of Yōjinki' means "keep in mind," but also "CAUTION!" ...

... so we will dance the Yojin Odori, in this case the "Caution for Fire Safety Dance!"

It says, "Fire is wonderful, but don't get burned!"

After all, most old temples, like Keizan's, were wooden building, so always important!

By the way, every evening in Fall and Winter, in my neighborhood in Japan and many places, the local older fellows with the volunteer fire brigade walk around beating the wooden sticks, or drive around the old fire truck with lights flashing, reminding everyone to be careful with flames and heaters this time of year! It is very nice. They pass my house almost every evening just at 9pm.

Gassho, J

Stlah
      Last edited by Jundo; 03-01-2024, 12:59 AM.

Comment

• Bion
        Treeleaf Unsui
        • Aug 2020

Oh! Fantastic! Been studying this now for some months. This’ll be great to revisit!

Gassho
        Sat and lah
        "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Myosho
          • May 2020

Myosho
          Sat

Comment

• Kotei
            Treeleaf Unsui
            • Mar 2015

Thank you everyone!

Gassho,
            Kotei sat/lah today.
            義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Comment

• Jundo
              • Apr 2006

As promised, the Elvis Roshi blue moon teachings ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUDghR7Hr98

Blue Moon Of Kentucky (Bill Monroe), CD audio source, recorded July 5, 1954, with Scotty Moore (guitar) & Bill Black (bass), released on Sun single 209 on Ju...

Song from the album "Elvis" which was released in 1956.Enjoy!*******I DO NOT OWN ANY COPYRIGHTS*******

Gassho, J

stlah
              Last edited by Jundo; 03-02-2024, 12:59 PM.

Comment

• Shade
                • Aug 2020

Thanks to everyone who made this possible!

Gassho,

Chukyo

ST/LAH

Comment

• Myojin
                  • Feb 2023

I caught your talk this morning, it makes me want to dig into Kaizan more.

I have a brother who is interested in meditation but allergic to 'zen', and yesterday we were talking about it. Explaining according to my understanding, the point of shikan-taza without resorting to anything too abstract is quite a challenge, so these kinds of talks are really useful.

Love Onsho's dancing dog....

Gassho

Sattlah

Myojin

Comment

• Bion
                    Treeleaf Unsui
                    • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Myojin
                    I caught your talk this morning, it makes me want to dig into Kaizan more.

I have a brother who is interested in meditation but allergic to 'zen', and yesterday we were talking about it. Explaining according to my understanding, the point of shikan-taza without resorting to anything too abstract is quite a challenge, so these kinds of talks are really useful.

Love Onsho's dancing dog....

Gassho

Sattlah

Myojin
                    Thank you for joining us! I am happy our timelines collided.
                    I do hope you danced!

Gassho
                    Sat and lah
                    "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Myojin
                      • Feb 2023

Originally posted by Bion
                      Thank you for joining us! I am happy our timelines collided.
                      I do hope you danced!

Gassho
                      Sat and lah
                      I was only able to catch the talk on YouTube unfortunately. Having 4 hours to myself is an unheard of luxury, having a nearly 1-year old in the house, I do however get a lot of milk bottle zazen!

Gassho
                      Myojin

Comment

• Bion
                        Treeleaf Unsui
                        • Aug 2020

I was only able to catch the talk on YouTube unfortunately. Having 4 hours to myself is an unheard of luxury, having a nearly 1-year old in the house, I do however get a lot of milk bottle zazen!

Gassho
                        Myojin
                        Ah, yeah.. The Hunger Games! Well, just as a side note, remember you don’t have to sit with it all at once. The recordings are time stamped so it’s easy to break it into sections. The talks all become podcast episodes so there’s that option too

Gassho
                        Sat and lah

Comment

• Myojin
                          • Feb 2023

Originally posted by Bion
                          Ah, yeah.. The Hunger Games! Well, just as a side note, remember you don’t have to sit with it all at once. The recordings are time stamped so it’s easy to break it into sections. The talks all become podcast episodes so there’s that option too

Gassho
                          Sat and lah
                          Well, I didn’t know about the podcast, I’ll look into that. I quite often like to listen to talks in the mornings with coffee after sitting, it sets the time for the day.

Gassho
                          Myojin

Comment

• Bion
                            Treeleaf Unsui
                            • Aug 2020

Well, I didn’t know about the podcast, I’ll look into that. I quite often like to listen to talks in the mornings with coffee after sitting, it sets the time for the day.

Gassho
                            Myojin
                            Here you go:

Links to episodes of Kirk & Jundo's "ZEN of EVERYTHING" Podcast, a zen take on life, love, laughter, and everything else (www.zen-of-everything.com) and our Treeleaf Podcast featuring Dharma Talks by Jundo

It’s the Treeleaf Podcast. I hope today to post the new one, and begin the Yojinki series.

Gassho
                            Sat and lah

Comment

• Houzan
                              • Dec 2022

Sat this one with you just now.
                              Thank you all[emoji120]

Gassho, Michael
                              Satlah

Comment

Working...