Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meian
    • Apr 2015

Sunday Sit (Zazen for Peace) - Sunday, July 30th, 2023

Please Join Us as we continue to sit, offering our sincere efforts to peace, children, and the injured in Ukraine and around the world.

We will gather for the Sunday Sit on Sunday, July 30th, 2023, beginning at 6 am Los Angeles time, 9 am New York time, 2 pm in London, 3 pm in Paris, 4 pm Kyiv time, and 4 pm Moscow time.

You can check the Treeleaf Calendar for your local time here: https://www.treeleaf.org/now/#calendar

We meet in the Treeleaf Now Scheduled Sitting Room here: https://www.treeleaf.org/now/go.php?l=ssr

Livestream and "any-time" recording can be found here: https://youtube.com/live/XsWOGxNop_8

The format of the sitting will be:

- Heart Sutra
    - Zazen 40 minutes
    - Verse of Atonement and the Four Vows

ALL are welcome! Please, join us! No prior experience is required -- just come sit with us.

Washin and "Zazen for Peace" team
    鏡道 |​ Kyodo (Meian) | "Mirror of the Way"
    visiting Unsui
    Nothing I say is a teaching, it's just my own opinion.
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

This headline just now ...

Russia launches deadly attack on port of Odesa

Russia attacks port infrastructure in Odesa, killing one civilian employee

Russia launched a missile attack overnight into Thursday on the port infrastructure of the southern region of Odesa, killing one person, Ukraine's Operational Command South said on Facebook.

"Kalibr missiles were launched from a submarine in the waters of the Black Sea at a critically low altitude, which made detection difficult," the statement said.

"A civilian employee was killed when one of the administrative buildings of the port was hit," it said.

Production equipment in one of the cargo terminals was damaged, it added.

Oleh Kiper, the head of the region's military administration, said on Thursday the employee who died was a security guard born in 1979. The guard building and two vehicles were also destroyed, he said.

Ukraine appears to be ramping up its counteroffensive after a slow start, pummeling a key Russian logistics hub and claiming to capture a village near the southern front.

ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

I am sorry to say that things are not good in Odessa ... A reporter reflects:

But as much as I keep telling myself I can weather this out — having worked and lived in many conflict zones over the years — I am beginning to recognize the gathering dark clouds that signal it’s time to leave. The daily rollercoaster of emotions, fighting back tears when describing the situation around me on live television, how even the smallest sounds seem to trigger the instinctive flight-or-fight response.

I’m not the only one. Sadly, after several nights of violent strikes, it feels as if the war is finally closing in on us in Odesa, Ukraine’s jewel on the Black Sea and my beloved temporary home over the past year. ... I doubt Russian forces intend to lay waste to Odesa the way they did to the Ukrainian city of Mariupol early on in the war. But then again, we seem to have reached a tipping point in human cruelty in this war.

Late last week, Russian cruise missiles blasted the port and an overlooking bluff where the imposing Chinese consulate is located. That’s a 10-minute walk from my flat and an area which I’d previously considered off limits to Russian aggression (isn’t Beijing one of the few buddies Moscow has left?).

And early Sunday, another strike ripped into Odesa’s historic district, with its architectural gems, museums, restaurants and famed music school. The impact sent shards of glass tumbling onto the sidewalk of my favorite hangout, Dizyngoff Restaurant, and onto the square where the statue of Odesa’s founder, Russian Empress Catherine II, once stood.

‘We are losing hope’

Lika Bezchastnova, a dear friend and owner of Dizyngoff, told me after the strike: “I’ve never felt this way before but we are losing hope in the war ending in our favor. We are feeling helpless. It’s come to the point where we feel neither protected nor supported by the West. And I don’t want to feel that way.”

Oleksandra Kovalchuk, Deputy Director of the Odesa National Fine Arts Museum (so far spared by the Russian missiles) told me: “Even though we’ve seen how dangerous it became in other parts of Ukraine in the past year and a half, including targeted hits on cultural heritage, we were totally unprepared for something of this scale in Odesa — five cultural institutions impacted by blast waves.”

“It’s intense, heartbreaking and very painful for everyone,” she added. “These institutions are very core to us: we’ve been visiting them since we’ve been little children. Seeing them hit was a very, very painful thing. It was hard to imagine that the Russians are that barbarian to target central Odesa. But they are.”

... Odesa has borne the brunt of Russia’s fury over the Crimean bridge attack this month. The attacks also coincide with Russia pulling out of the Black Sea grain deal that was keeping Ukrainian grain flowing to the world.

It’s becoming clearer that part of the Kremlin’s military strategy to defeat Ukraine has expanded to the Black Sea, from where the deadly Kh-23 and Oniks anti-ship cruise missiles are launched.

They fly unbelievably fast, are capable of traveling extremely high and low altitudes and are pretty much immune to interception by conventional means (which is why the leadership here in Ukraine is calling for Patriot missile defense systems).

The twisted Kremlin’s end game this time, it seems to me, is to rip apart Ukrainian agricultural export infrastructure to the point that desperate markets have no choice but to source from Russia. Consider that East Africa, where the World Food Program says millions of people are experiencing unprecedented levels of food insecurity, is hugely dependent on Ukrainian grain.

As much as words of condemnation from austere bodies such as UNESCO have become a customary response to Russian aggression, words don’t repel missiles the way the Patriots.

The Ukrainian port city of Odesa is baring the brunt of Russian aggression. In this harrowing and heartwarming personal essay, Michael Bociurkiw describes the nightly attacks – and the gathering dark clouds signaling “it’s time to leave.”

ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Washin
        Treeleaf Unsui
        • Dec 2014

Thank you for sharing all the above information, Jundo.

I noticed the level of people's stress and anxiety has increased lately.
        I feel and see it daily. Moving around the city and suburbs. Drivers get nervous
        and faster. So is the folk in public places. The good thing is no panic.

I also see it at my work. More and more people come seeking help to somehow balance
        their lives with the practices we offer.

Thus, today I will be streaming the sit from the workplace after the schedule is done here.

Gassho
        Washin
        stlah
        Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
        Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
        ----
        I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
        and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Comment

• Meian
          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Washin
          Thank you for sharing all the above information, Jundo.

I noticed the level of people's stress and anxiety has increased lately.
          I feel and see it daily. Moving around the city and suburbs. Drivers get nervous
          and faster. So is the folk in public places. The good thing is no panic.

I also see it at my work. More and more people come seeking help to somehow balance
          their lives with the practices we offer.

Thus, today I will be streaming the sit from the workplace after the schedule is done here.

Gassho
          Washin
          stlah
          Gassho2

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
          鏡道 |​ Kyodo (Meian) | "Mirror of the Way"
          visiting Unsui
          Nothing I say is a teaching, it's just my own opinion.

Comment

Working...