Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kenshou
    • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Beakon
    Anger is like this feeling that gets stuck in my neck and back area. It gets very painful sometimes so I need to walk away from situations I can't handle. Martial Arts is a way for me to release my anger, to vent, and express my frustrations. I was trained in a hard martial art that focuses on agility and striking. The exercises in the martial art empower me. As a practicing Buddhist I am worried that, I will memorize these emotions that arise during training, and they will turn against me. Like if I am exercising my anger through martial arts it will become stronger.
    Hi Beakon,
    I have found in many cases this is true.
    Training as a means of venting ager, ends up being more a means of rehearsing anger.
    I find it is best to not train while you're angry. Try to find something that calms you down before you train; by either taking your mind off of what is angering you, or helps you see more clearly that it is really nothing to be so angry about. Sitting, or weaving thread, or vegetable gardening or drawing are some of my favourites, but everyone is different.
    Also purely from the view point of whatever your chosen art, training whilst angry will increase the chances of incorrect form, which can inturn lead to injury. (And the only silver lining if this happens is that it does drive home the point that being angry hurts nobody more than yourself.) Focus on your breath and posture, the timing and co-ordination of your arms and legs/ hands and feet.

Thich Nhat Hanh speaks about the flaws in venting your anger in this way. I will try and find the link and post it.

Gassho

Patrick
    Sat today
    Last edited by Kenshou; 03-29-2017, 01:42 AM.

Comment

• Kenshou
      • Oct 2016

Questions and Answers session with Thich Nhat Hanh (May 2014). ~~~Help us caption & translate this video!http://amara.org/v/FUS2/

I find this entire talk amazing, but at about 6minutes 35 seconds he speaks of venting anger and why it does not work, and provides really helpful alternatives to venting anger.

Gassho
      Patrick

sat today

Comment

• Beakon
        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Paddy
        Hi Beakon,
        I have found in many cases this is true.
        Training as a means of venting ager, ends up being more a means of rehearsing anger.
        I find it is best to not train while you're angry. Try to find something that calms you down before you train; by either taking your mind off of what is angering you, or helps you see more clearly that it is really nothing to be so angry about. Sitting, or weaving thread, or vegetable gardening or drawing are some of my favourites, but everyone is different.
        Also purely from the view point of whatever your chosen art, training whilst angry will increase the chances of incorrect form, which can inturn lead to injury. (And the only silver lining if this happens is that it does drive home the point that being angry hurts nobody more than yourself.) Focus on your breath and posture, the timing and co-ordination of your arms and legs/ hands and feet.

Thich Nhat Hanh speaks about the flaws in venting your anger in this way. I will try and find the link and post it.

Gassho

Patrick
        Sat today
        Thank you, Patrick. Yes, when I train in martial arts it arouses this feeling of rage. It feels fun coming from a belief that exercising will release stress. I noticed that my temperment can grow when exercising these negative mindstates in training. That's why these das I'm leaning more towards training in softer martial arts.
        "May I be a flashlight to all beings living in life's dreary and despicable basement" - Sean C.T.

Comment

• Michael Joseph
          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Jakuden
          Yep those are them. Them's the ones. They are those? (Just trying to annoy all the English degrees on here) Thanks!

Gassho
          Jakuden
          SatToday
          Emptiness

One has (not) to earn
          a Ph.D. to learn that
          language has no rules.
          Still, we are heard.

Gassho,
          Michael
          Assc. Prof of Anglish

SatToday

Comment

• Jundo
            Treeleaf Founder and Priest
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Beakon
            Thank you, Patrick. Yes, when I train in martial arts it arouses this feeling of rage. It feels fun coming from a belief that exercising will release stress. I noticed that my temperment can grow when exercising these negative mindstates in training. That's why these das I'm leaning more towards training in softer martial arts.
            This Practice should help make one gentle. Being gentle aids this Practice.

Gassho, J

SatToday
            ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Tai Shi
              • Oct 2014

There is for me a great sorrow at my anger as my feelings regrets, my true and deep remorse, deep caring, I am the victim of my own anger, and I cannot always come to my family who I wish to love. I cannot be mindful of the true love of my family. The time of my family is gone, and more of the Sangha and I want the love of my little family. My daughter is gone and as my good friend Tom has said, she will always be here, part of me turning to my wife who I love and the wrong practice of correcting my daughter, and now the time is gone to be corrected. Mindfully, without anger, ignorance, and greed, to be correcting, fatherhood, partner as husband, it is never too late, so to write to my daughter mindfully, and be her dad even at 65. After this entry writing to my daughter in Iowa City where we visited this last weekend. As we went to Iowa City, visiting my 81-year-old aunt, now making connections with daughter,

Tai Shi
              std
              Gassho
              Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

• Beakon
                • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Tai Shi
                There is for me a great sorrow at my anger as my feelings regrets, my true and deep remorse, deep caring, I am the victim of my own anger, and I cannot always come to my family who I wish to love. I cannot be mindful of the true love of my family. The time of my family is gone, and more of the Sangha and I want the love of my little family. My daughter is gone and as my good friend Tom has said, she will always be here, part of me turning to my wife who I love and the wrong practice of correcting my daughter, and now the time is gone to be corrected. Mindfully, without anger, ignorance, and greed, to be correcting, fatherhood, partner as husband, it is never too late, so to write to my daughter mindfully, and be her dad even at 65. After this entry writing to my daughter in Iowa City where we visited this last weekend. As we went to Iowa City, visiting my 81-year-old aunt, now making connections with daughter,

Tai Shi
                std
                Gassho

I feel there is an inkling for a poem coming on. What you said has helped me reflect on my relationship with my father.
                "May I be a flashlight to all beings living in life's dreary and despicable basement" - Sean C.T.

Comment

• Tom
                  • Jan 2013

Aren't we all Associate Professors of Anguish.
                  thanks,
                  Gassho,
                  Tom
                  Sattoday

Comment

• Rich
                    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Jundo

Gassho, J

SatToday
                    Yes, open to receiving. So it's a letting go of aggression and trying to get it. Even in martial arts when you absorb a strike you gain an advantage to neutralize an opponent.

SAT today

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                    _/_
                    Rich
                    MUHYO
                    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by Jundo
                      Simple and beautiful expression! =)

Gassho
                      Shingen

s@today

Comment

Working...