• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kokuu
    Treeleaf Priest
    • Nov 2012

The Historical Buddha

Dear sangha

I am currently reading The Historical Buddha by Hans Schumann which is, as far as it can be, a historical rather than hagiographical account of the life of Prince Siddhartha and his transformation into the Buddha and the political and cultural environment of that time.

It has a similarity of approach to Stephen Batchelor's more recent work, in making the Buddha very much feel like a human being dealing with human problems albeit from a new perspective. Although the Mahayana image of Shakyamuni teaching to hundreds of buddhas and bodhisattvas with light streaming from his third eye points to a different truth, the historical Buddha is, to me, more accessable as a person living in a constantly changing world that he has little control over.

This passage about the early days of Prince Siddhartha after his homeleaving tells of the hardship and fears of living alone in the forest. How many of us would have been tempted to return to the safety and luxury of the palace?

"The loneliness of the forest is hard to bear, it is hard to take pleasure in being alone... When at night I stayed in such frightening and fearful places, and an animal passed by, or a peacock broke a twig, or the wind rustled among the leaves, I was filled with terror and panic."

-- Majjhima Nikāya 4 (Pāli Text Society translation)

That said, we cannot know for sure that those are the words of the Buddha, or a reasonable paraphrase, either, but it does give an idea of what he must have faced during that initial period of hermitage.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Nobody can know. Most of these stories are later additions and embellishments.

However, whenever written, if there is a worthwhile and timeless lesson there ... then it is the Life of the Buddha.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• MyoHo
      • Feb 2013

Sounds interesting bro. I'll see if I can find it. Thanks.

Gassho

Myoho
      Mu

Comment

• Jakuden
        • Jun 2015

Thank you Kokuu!
        Gassho
        Jakuden
        SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Doshin
          • May 2015

Buddha, Jesus or all the others that tried to explain the apparent mystery of being.....were they each but one, many or...?? But what I think I know is that they were human..just human. Wisdom comes from many, over time, ages, paradigms, and through many individual journeys. i have trouble remembering yesterday, how are tens of thousands of yesterdays so clearly understood by some? I envy them. I think my doubts are many, my assurances few. As strange as this may sound, I take comfort in not knowing but also knowing all before me were human, no more or less than me. I give thanks to them for trying to explain the unexplainable...but that is me.

Doshin
          sattoday

Comment

Working...