X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shokai
    Treeleaf Priest
    • Mar 2009

8 Down, 100 to go

The way the story is told Shakyamuni Buddha, while residing as Gomyo Bodhisatva (The One Who is Guardian of Wisdom's Light) in Tusita Heaven, took upon himself to instruct the other Bodhisatvas before re-entering human life. The Skillful Means used in this case was to talk on the 108 Gates of Dharma Illumination. Why 108 you say? Well, you'll notice many of the teachings are in numbered groups; i.e. Four Noble Truths, Eight-fold Path, 12 states of Dependent Origination, The Ten Paramitas, etc. and the list goes on. This of course was a way to aid memorization. Now if he had chosen to speak of 10,000 Gates that would have meant there were too many to contemplate. Where in fact that could very well be the case, 108 is a fairly large number but, not unmanageable; it actually represents a bit of a worthwhile mental Challenge. if one googles the number 108 you can view further insight into the traditional use of this mystical/magical entity.

The 108 Gates of Dharma Illumination consists of a list of traits, practices and manners taken mostly from the various numbered lists mentioned above and includes considerable repetition for emphases. The purpose is to illustrate the demeanor required for an individual to be recognized as one who is conversant with the Dharma. For example, if you were to conduct yourself in the manner of something I'll call the 3 W-Gs. Imagine yourself for a moment Walking about Wallowing in Woe and Growling, Grousing and Gripping at and to everyone you meet or manage to have listen. Would that not be a sure fire formula for spreading Wrong Good? Is it not better to contemplate the 108 Gates and at least attempt to emulate that behavior? I believe the term is 'Fake it til you Make it'.

Remember, life is impermanence. So, if you haven't been following so far, you've already missed at least eight opportunities to use the Gates each Day. Greet your fellow beings with a smile and listen to them, it makes a world of difference. i hope you'll find time to travel with my blog from now until Vesak.

Gassho and nine bows,
    Shokai
    saToday
    Last edited by Shokai; 12-28-2016, 02:32 AM.
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/
  • Konsetsu
    • May 2016

Thank you for this!

Gassho
    Tim
    SatToday

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by Shokai
      Remember, life is impermanence.

Greet your fellow beings with a smile and listen to them, it makes a world of difference.
      Lovely Shokai, thank you. =)

Gassho
      Shingen

s@today

Comment

• Jyukatsu
        • Nov 2015

Thank you, Shokai

Gassho,
        Marina
        sat today
        柔 Jyū flexible
        活 Katsu energetic

Comment

• Jakuden
          • Jun 2015

Thank you Shokai!
          Gassho
          Jakuden
          SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Getchi
            • May 2015

Thankyou,

I contemplated the fifth Gate over the course of kids combined birthday, christmas BBQ with the extended family and a car that wouldnt start.

Being able to trust myself in this stress by relying on right bodily action was a HUGE help - thankyou Shokai

Thankyou
            Geoff

SatToday.
            Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Comment

• Shokai
              Treeleaf Priest
              • Mar 2009

Wonderful
              Thank you for sharing that !!

gassho,

saToday
              合掌,生開
              gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Doshin
                • May 2015

Good words, to action I hope I put them each day.

Doshin
                sattoday

Comment

Working...