Clear All
  • RichardH
    • Nov 2011

Rohatsu make up talk

Please forgive the informality.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-15-2016, 03:56 AM.
  • Sekishi
    Treeleaf Priest
    • Apr 2013

Thank you Daizan.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi

#sattoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Comment

• Mp

Thank you Daizan ... you seem sad brother, I hope you are well.

Gassho
      Shingen

Comment

• Geika
        Treeleaf Unsui
        • Jan 2010

Thank you, Daizan. Gassho

Sat today
        求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
        I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• RichardH
          • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Shingen
          Thank you Daizan ... you seem sad brother, I hope you are well.

Gassho
          Shingen
          Thank you Shingen. I am well. Just new to "giving a talk". It is also an intimate topic.

Gassho
          Daizan

sat today

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by Daizan
            Thank you Shingen. I am well. Just new to "giving a talk". It is also an intimate topic.

Gassho
            Daizan

sat today
            Good to hear brother. =)

Gassho
            Shingen

s@today

Comment

• Kokuu
              Treeleaf Priest
              • Nov 2012

Thank you very much, Daizan.

Kokuu
              -sattoday-

Comment

• Jundo
                Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                • Apr 2006

I am glad you made this Daizan.

For folks who attended our Rohatsu Retreat, Daizan was unable to present his talk last minute due to some technical what-not. I suggested he share it with us this way, and I am glad he did.

Here is the portion of Master Hongzhi's Guidepost of Silent Illumination that Daizan dances ...

When wonder exists in serenity, all achievement is forgotten in illumination.
                What is this wonder? Alertly seeing through confusion
                Is the way of silent illumination and the origin of subtle radiance.
                Vision penetrating into subtle radiance is weaving gold on a jade loom.
                Upright and inclined yield to each other; light and dark are interdependent.
                Not depending on sense faculty and object, at the right time they interact.
                Drink the medicine of good views. Beat the poison-smeared drum.
                When they interact, killing and giving life are up to you.

Gassho, J

SatToday
                Last edited by Jundo; 12-15-2016, 04:00 AM.
                ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Jundo
                  Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                  • Apr 2006

A lovely talk, D.

I might make one nitpick on a word, although the point of your talk is so right on. I believe that "suffering" in a Buddhist sense (Dukkha) is not the same as grief, sadness, ordinary disappointment, sickness and the like. For example, one may feel tremendous grief at the loss of someone beloved but, so long as one accepts the feeling of grief, than that is not "suffering." One experiences the broken heart and, if one is able through this practice, simultaneously a certain Heart that cannot be broken. One may feel moderately disappointed when life does not turn out as one wishes, such as in the face of a business failure (or just when the video goes kabloom during Rohatsu! ), but so long as someone just experiences the disappointment as the mind's passing state, and infuses it with an underlying equanimity, I do not think it is Dukkha.

The subtle radiance free of all suffering holds both the days of happiness and the days of sadness, loss and gain, terrible sickness and health, birth and death etc.

So, I exactly agree with the things you said, though I might use the word "suffering" a bit differently.

Gassho, J

SatToday but back to bed
                  Last edited by Jundo; 12-15-2016, 04:21 AM.
                  ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• RichardH
                    • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Jundo
                    A lovely talk, D.

I might make one nitpick on a word, although the point of your talk is so right on. I believe that "suffering" in a Buddhist sense (Dukkha) is not the same as grief, sadness, ordinary disappointment, sickness and the like. For example, one may feel tremendous grief at the loss of someone beloved but, so long as one accepts the feeling of grief, than that is not "suffering." One experiences the broken heart and, if one is able through this practice, simultaneously a certain Heart that cannot be broken. One may feel moderately disappointed when life does not turn out as one wishes, such as in the face of a business failure (or just when the video goes kabloom during Rohatsu! ), but so long as someone just experiences the disappointment as the mind's passing state, and infuses it with an underlying equanimity, I do not think it is Dukkha.

The subtle radiance free of all suffering holds both the days of happiness and the days of sadness, loss and gain, terrible sickness and health, birth and death etc.

So, I exactly agree with the things you said, though I might use the word "suffering" a bit differently.

Gassho, J

SatToday but back to bed
                    Hi Jundo . I hope we can talk about when a student and teacher can sincerely have a different understanding and experience, and how that can be ok.

There is a different perspective and experience around the idea of (for example) grief that is not "Buddhist suffering" and where there is inner freedom from suffering in the midst of grief, and where there is slight of hand or mind. I think it is very very easy to miscommunicate.

Anyway.. I don"t want to keep you out of bed. I Hope you are feeling better soon.

Deep bows
                    Daizan

Sat today

Comment

• Washin
                      Treeleaf Unsui
                      • Dec 2014

Thank you for the talk, Daizan.

Washin
                      sattoday
                      Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
                      Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
                      ----
                      I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
                      and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Comment

• Eishuu

Great talk Daizan. Thank you! Sorry you are ill Jundo. Hope you feel better soon.

Gassho
                        Lucy
                        Sat today

Comment

• Jakuden
                          • Jun 2015

Beautiful talk Daizan, I wondered what happened to you the other day! Thank you for this teaching [emoji120]
                          Gassho
                          Jakuden
                          SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Zenmei
                            • Jul 2016

Originally posted by Daizan
                            Hi Jundo . I hope we can talk about when a student and teacher can sincerely have a different understanding and experience, and how that can be ok.

There is a different perspective and experience around the idea of (for example) grief that is not "Buddhist suffering" and where there is inner freedom from suffering in the midst of grief, and where there is slight of hand or mind. I think it is very very easy to miscommunicate.

Anyway.. I don"t want to keep you out of bed. I Hope you are feeling better soon.

Deep bows
                            Daizan

Sat today
                            I've found it useful to myself to make a distinction between "pain" and "suffering". Pain being an unavoidable consequence of life, and suffering being the result of identifying with or attaching to our pain. Suffering takes our pain and holds on to it in case we need it later.
                            We have no choice but to feel pain. The world does that to us. We make our own suffering.

Gassho, dudley
                            #sat

Comment

• Jyukatsu
                              • Nov 2015

I like your interpretation, Dudley, thank you for that....and many thanks to Daizan for a wonderful talk.
                              Gassho,
                              Marina
                              sat today
                              柔 Jyū flexible
                              活 Katsu energetic

Comment

Working...