Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Martin
    • Jun 2007

Re: Sit-a-Long with Jundo in Vietnam

Enjoy your trip, Jundo, and a safe (and immigration hassle free) return.

Gassho

Martin

Comment

• Aswini
      • Apr 2008

have a safe and enjoyable journey.

this might sound stupid, but my friend (who is not asian and thus sticks out like a sore thumb when travelling in vietnam) said that she would never wear a bagt or sunglasses in vietnam again. Both items were stolen and she went psycho trrying to chase the guys on a scooter who did. Thinking back she reckoned her actions were not wise and it is better to let them steal it rather than get in trouble.

So.....be cautious.

Mettha.

Aswini.

Comment

• Yugen

Jundo,
        Safe travels and I hope your immigration issues are successfully resolved upon your return. I appreciate the "school trip" and travelogue perspective, but I would also like to recognize the uncertainty (and potential anxiety) as a husband and parent you face (and have mentioned - in as positive a context as possible - this is the real acid test to view these events and uncertainties as "scenery" in one's life) as you interact with the immigration authorities and embark upon a separation from your dear ones. You'll be in our thoughts. The immigration process is difficult and frustrating at best around the world.

You mentioned that the immigration authorities treat people variously according to nationality and education. How were you treated based upon several variables - American national, professionally educated (attorney), translator, Zen student and teacher, married to a Japanese national? Are there some variables that are more "credible" (do you leave out the "Zen" part and emphasize your professional qualifications or vice versa) than others in the immigration / residency visa process?

Safe travels and Gassho,
        Alex

Comment

• Jundo
          Treeleaf Founder and Priest
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by alex

You mentioned that the immigration authorities treat people variously according to nationality and education. How were you treated based upon several variables - American national, professionally educated (attorney), translator, Zen student and teacher, married to a Japanese national? Are there some variables that are more "credible" (do you leave out the "Zen" part and emphasize your professional qualifications or vice versa) than others in the immigration / residency visa process?

Safe travels and Gassho,
          Alex
          Oh, I get the red carpet treatment compared to, for example, the average unskilled or semi-skilled worker from Brazil or China. In fact, I have to leave this time for a procedural technicality, and could fly to somewhere, turn around the same day and come right back in. Please don't think I am suffering in any of this ... it has turned into an excuse for a vacation in Vietnam.

Gassho, Jundo
          ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Undo
            • Jun 2007

I would also like to say that if you ever need to sort out paperwork again, feel free to pop over to Sunny Southern Spain I am sure we can make room and there is the lovely tapas

Comment

• Charles
              • Feb 2008

Jundo,

Safe travels!

--Charles

Comment

• phillybuddha

Jundo,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Still, every day is a new opportunity so please enjoy your trip and let us know how it goes.

Mike
                PhillyBuddha

Comment

Working...