Practising when walking, driving or on the train

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tairin
    • Feb 2016

I think the distinction between mindful action and Zazen is important although I am still trying to get my head around it too. Mindfulness during an action means being aware and being present in that action. I can be mindful as I drive, as I walk, as I eat, as I talk with my son, etc. Zazen is an activity too and I need to approach it in the same regard. Zazen is just sitting so I need to mindfully just sit while i am just sitting.

Or I could be wrong.

Gassho
    Warren
    Mindfully Sat today
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Comment

• Enjaku
      • Jul 2016

Originally posted by awarren
      Zazen is just sitting so I need to mindfully just sit while i am just sitting.
      Hi Warren,
      This seems to me a nice way of putting it. I feel we need to remember that zazen is literally, "seated meditation", and try to give this our full attention when we do it, as with other activities, including driving, eating etc.
      This is my current understanding at least.
      Gassho,
      Alex
      Sat
      援若

Comment

• Jakuden
        • Jun 2015

I was reading some passages in "Zen Heart" by Ezra Bayda that were relevant to this...He describes mindfulness as like a snapshot of a moment that can be examined as if by an observer; concentration as the use of a telephoto lens; and "open awareness" as a 360 degree view with surround sound, where you are both part and observer, aware of the body and its connection to the universe and all its elements.

Gassho
        Jakuden
        SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Kyosei
          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Jakuden
          I was reading some passages in "Zen Heart" by Ezra Bayda that were relevant to this...He describes mindfulness as like a snapshot of a moment that can be examined as if by an observer; concentration as the use of a telephoto lens; and "open awareness" as a 360 degree view with surround sound, where you are both part and observer, aware of the body and its connection to the universe and all its elements.

Gassho
          Jakuden
          SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Thank you Jakuden. Very interesting analogy.

Gassho

Marcos

#SatToday
          _/|\_

Kyōsei

強 Kyō
          声 Sei

Namu kie Butsu, Namu kie Ho, Namu kie So.

Comment

• Tai Shi
            • Oct 2014

For me, I no longer drive, and my skeletal diseases allows for limited mobility. Thu at age 65, it could happen to any of us. And I sit mindfully, I try to eat mindfully, and, of course, I try to do most things mindfully. Still, I get angry with my wife sometimes, I doubt the love of my daughter sometimes (She is 27-years-old), and when I stub my toe, I cuss. So what else; I walk mindfully when I walk sometimes short distances, and when I go to the warm-water-pool, I water walk slowly. AND I forget, and I have pain in my body. So only sometimes am I mindful, and I notice it isn't as often as I would like, and some days not at all, and I must be reminded by reading this forum, and I sit. Thank you.

Tai Shi
            sat today
            Gassho
            Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

• Tai Shi
              • Oct 2014

I have come back here, and as a new-comer, I must have skipped over this part, and I have learned from others to sit instant Zazen, so I try to remember. It is very good to receive some formal words from Jundo, and think tha I too can learn to be patient and practice in the grocery-line. Thank you,

Tai Shi
              sat today
              Gassho
              Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

Working...