Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Koushu
    • May 2016

Expanding at the same moment absorbing

It has been a few weeks, mostly due to the fact that I have been stuck decommissioning mining wells in an area of Montana where smoke signals don't even work.

Through my zazen practice over the last couple of weeks I have come to maybe an understanding of the meaning of our Jukai, so please bear with me as I was also sick during this time.

I came to an understanding of Jukai during zazen in the mountains around my last job site.

What is faith? What is religion? What is lifestyle, or rather way of life? How do we know that our lineage is unbroken or the our teacher really hold the lineage of our spiritual ancestors?

Faith is where we take comfort in our belief that some like our lineage or teacher is true in teaching. (Heart)

Religion is when we follow another's beliefs as our own and question little about that belief. It is where we go through the motions of prayer or meditation or ceremony with no sense of its worth of underlining meaning, but only logical comfort. (Mind)

Lifestyle is a full combination of the Heart and Mind with the physical of allowing discipline of the desires of mind and body, to question and explore one's master's teaching; testing them on one's personal merit and expanding thereonto. Where Zazen, Dharma, Sangha, Sutra; does not become just a hollow exercise, but rather apart of our very breathe, blood, chi. One with our true heart-mind consciousness. Our Jukai is not a testament to our faith or religion but should be a testament to our way of life, like the air we breathe or water we drink.

With this is I must also say we each have our own path to buddhahood, mine for the most part is by doing zazen on a stone in the middle of a river or on a mountain top overlooking a snow covered valley. For others it may in a zendo or a Temple or on the subway. This is just the way of life.

Gassho
    James (Yuuki Sugiyama) Kavajecz

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk
  • Jakuden
    • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Yuukisugiyama
    It has been a few weeks, mostly due to the fact that I have been stuck decommissioning mining wells in an area of Montana where smoke signals don't even work.

Through my zazen practice over the last couple of weeks I have come to maybe an understanding of the meaning of our Jukai, so please bear with me as I was also sick during this time.

I came to an understanding of Jukai during zazen in the mountains around my last job site.

What is faith? What is religion? What is lifestyle, or rather way of life? How do we know that our lineage is unbroken or the our teacher really hold the lineage of our spiritual ancestors?

Faith is where we take comfort in our belief that some like our lineage or teacher is true in teaching. (Heart)

Religion is when we follow another's beliefs as our own and question little about that belief. It is where we go through the motions of prayer or meditation or ceremony with no sense of its worth of underlining meaning, but only logical comfort. (Mind)

Lifestyle is a full combination of the Heart and Mind with the physical of allowing discipline of the desires of mind and body, to question and explore one's master's teaching; testing them on one's personal merit and expanding thereonto. Where Zazen, Dharma, Sangha, Sutra; does not become just a hollow exercise, but rather apart of our very breathe, blood, chi. One with our true heart-mind consciousness. Our Jukai is not a testament to our faith or religion but should be a testament to our way of life, like the air we breathe or water we drink.

With this is I must also say we each have our own path to buddhahood, mine for the most part is by doing zazen on a stone in the middle of a river or on a mountain top overlooking a snow covered valley. For others it may in a zendo or a Temple or on the subway. This is just the way of life.

Gassho
    James (Yuuki Sugiyama) Kavajecz

Deep bows, James. Thank you for your practice.
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Koushu
      • May 2016

It is like tying our shoes, it is natural and yet we bear no attachments to the act of tying. Our Sangha, Dharma and Practice is for all sentient beings as Buddha and the Bodhisattvas and ancestors have taught.

With the comment I made on lineage and masters can only be answered through practice and our lifestyle, for it is in us the potential to become Buddhas and Bodhisattvas.

Comment

• Koushu
        • May 2016

Wanted to give you an example of the place I was at for work and where my practice took place.

Comment

• Mp

With the comment I made on lineage and masters can only be answered through practice and our lifestyle
          Since the time of the Buddha many flavours of Buddhism have grown, I feel the reason for this is what calls to our own hearts. Even though we all walk the same mountain, each path is unique to each of us, even if we are walking the same path. Practice should be about saving/helping all sentient beings including ourselves ... how we do that may differ, just as long as we have a kind, generous, and open heart. =)

Also ... got to throw the zenny question in here ....

for it is in us the potential to become Buddhas and Bodhisattvas.
          But are you not already a Buddha?

Gassho
          Shingen

s@today

Comment

• Koushu
            • May 2016

Originally posted by Shingen
            Since the time of the Buddha many flavours of Buddhism have grown, I feel the reason for this is what calls to our own hearts. Even though we all walk the same mountain, each path is unique to each of us, even if we are walking the same path. Practice should be about saving/helping all sentient beings including ourselves ... how we do that may differ, just as long as we have a kind, generous, and open heart. =)

Also ... got to throw the zenny question in here ....

But are you not already a Buddha?

Gassho
            Shingen

s@today
            Gassho Shingen.

Comment

• Kyonin
              Treeleaf Priest / Engineer
              • Oct 2010

Hi James,

Religion comes from Latin religare and means to unite, union.

So yes, to be mindful and present, be one with the Universe it could religion.

Thank you for your post.

Gassho,

Kyonin
              #SatToday
              Hondō Kyōnin
              奔道 協忍

Comment

• Nindo

Depending on your culture/ family background, you'll have to find your own definitions of faith and religion, as you are doing.
                Personally, I don't have a problem with using the word "religion" for my zen faith and practice, and understand it in a similar way as you describe way of life.
                It's all just words. Living the practice is what counts, and what you seem to be doing, too.

Gassho
                Nindo
                s.t.

Comment

Working...