• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Myosha
    • Mar 2013

"I hope that makes sense rather than sounding like jargon."

Hello,

Nothing wrong with esoteric language.

Still get a kick out of folks misusing "grain of salt".

"What's being said is ALWAYS the truth; you'd better season it with salt so it's digestible."

English-language, what a concept!

Gassho
    Myosha
    sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

Hi,

I believe that this week's Koan from the Book of Serenity (as do most of the Koans from the Book of Serenity) touches on this same matter. Not quite with Dogen's wild ways of expressing matters, but the same basic points: The entrance of principle and the entrance of practice in this messy, incomplete, complicated, often frustrating, ungraspable, mysterious, unpredictable world. ...

BOOK OF EQUANIMITY - Case 68
      Case 67 never ends, and so we slash to Case 68, Kassan's Slashing Sword ... A monks asks the same question twice: Does one need to sweep away the mental dust of thought and of the complexities of the world to see Buddha? I take the first teacher's admonition to "strraightaway, slash with a sword" to mean to

Gassho, J

SatToday
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Kokuu
        Treeleaf Priest
        • Nov 2012

Hello all

This podcast from Zen Mountain Monastery addresses this part of Genjokoan nicely. It refers to Yasutani Roshi's commentary on the fascicle - Flowers Fall.

Gassho
        Kokuu
        #sattoday

Comment

• Shugen
          Treeleaf Unsui
          • Nov 2007

Thank you for the link Kokuu

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday

Originally posted by Kokuu
          Hello all

This podcast from Zen Mountain Monastery addresses this part of Genjokoan nicely. It refers to Yasutani Roshi's commentary on the fascicle - Flowers Fall.

Gassho
          Kokuu
          #sattoday
          Meido Shugen
          明道 修眼

Comment

• Jakuden
            • Jun 2015

Hello all

Gassho
            Kokuu
            #sattoday
            Isn't this Genjokoan series of talks great? Shugen Sensei is really "finding his groove" and coming into his own as a giver of Dharma Discourse. The other recent series "To Be Enlightened By the World" is also excellent IMHO.

Gassho,
            Jakuden
            SatToday

Comment

• Hoko
              • Aug 2009

I like the analogy of the "board carrying man".
              When you carry the board on your right shoulder you can't see the right side of the street.
              When you carry the board on your left shoulder you can't see the left side of the street.
              When I do zazen, if I see my "original face" I can't see the other side of the street.
              When I am lost in delusion I can't see the other side of the street.
              Every day I move the board from shoulder to shoulder.
              My life goes on and on trying to maintain the understanding, to actualize the fact, to aim in the direction of "knowing" that I can set down the board at any time.
              Every day, just like this.
              Gassho,
              K2
              #SatToday

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
              法 Dharma
              口 Mouth

Comment

• Myosha
                • Mar 2013

Hello,

Apropos -

The master and disciple returning to temple after torrential rain. Come upon a maiden in distress: she is unable to cross a stream as the flood tore apart the bridge.

Without thought or comment master picked up the woman, and in his arms, crossed the swollen stream. Depositing her they proceeded in opposite directions.

Knowing their sect did not allow ANY contact with females the disciple was embarrassed, cross, and then upset with his master. After many miles the disciple could not contain himself and lambasted master for his action.

The master smiled and said, " i put her down on the ground hours ago; why are you still carrying her?"

Gassho
                Myosha
                sat today
                "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Comment

• Risho
                  • May 2010

Boom! I love that story - thank you Myosha; I actually really like your version

Gassho,

Risho
                  -sattoday
                  Email: risho.treeleaf@gmail.com

Comment

• Diarmuid1
                    • Oct 2014

I
                    “When dharma does not fill your whole body and mind, you may assume that it is already sufficient. When dharma fills your body and mind, you understand that something is missing.” (Kazuaki Tanahashi translation)

I must admit this confuses me a little (okay, more than a little).
                    Without MD here to answer our questions, we can never be entirely sure what he was getting at. Perhaps he'd look at it and say, "Geez, I'm not sure what I was on about there."

But our species always sniffs out meaning. Do words have to have meaning? Can they be employed to convey things that are beyond meaning? What does beyond meaning even...uhhh...mean?!

When you understand that all is perfect as it is, the all necessarily includes the concept that all-is-not-perfect-as-it-is. So you can see how something is missing from the complete whole...and it doesn't throw you.

I guess that the only way to get some idea of what Dogen was on about is to allow the dharma to fill your body and mind. Presumably, at that point, all becomes clear.

Diarmuid

#S2D

Comment

• Tai Shi
                      • Oct 2014

Well, Dharma may, or may not fill my whole body, and yes, sometimes I feel very stupid before you all who have read a myriad of the tales, and Zen lessons. Some of these lessons I have heard many times, and it does me well to hear them many ways in new and interesting ways. I am not a man of paradox or hidden meanings, and sometimes when someone directs an answer yes again, I know that no matter the number of degrees or ideas, or stories, I will always be a very simple man, a man who looks at the world in a very straightforward way. Zen for me, at my age, and those here later or before, well they are teachers of Zen, and I thank you all for your teachings. I came here to learn how to die gracefully,. and that remains my intent at Treeleaf, and every time I hear a wise idea, storie, precept interpretation, I ask myself if I am simple or just don't get it Thank you
                      Tai Shi
                      std
                      Gassho
                      Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

Working...