Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zenmei
    • Jul 2016

Funeral delivery

Jundo, maybe you should be talking to Sotoshu about a new business model...

Gassho, Dudley
    #sat
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Yes. That is one reason I have so much difficulty to get Japanese folks to come to Zazen. Buddhism is almost totally in most folks minds about funerals for grandpa and memorial ceremonies for the ancestors.

I might as well place an add that says, "Come to the Funeral Home and Have Some Fun!"

I seriously would do better here to detach the Zazen completely from Buddhism and call it "Happy Relax Cosmic Yoga" or something. People would come.

I have written more about "funeral Buddhism" in Japan here.

An interesting article in The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/06/zen-no-more-japan-shuns-its-buddhist-traditions-as-temples-close) about the dwindling number of monasteries in Japan: 'Zen no more: Japan shuns its Buddhist traditions as temples close'. But it seems to be hopeful about a movement to go beyond

Gassho, Jundo

Sat "Happy Relax Cosmic Yoga" Today
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Myogan
      • Aug 2015

How about "We put the "fun" in Funeral"?

Nothing beats an Irish wake though.

Gassho, Marc
      sat
      Marc Connery
      明岩
      Myo̅ Gan - Bright Cliff

I put the Monkey in Monkeymind

Comment

• Myosha
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Marc42968
        How about "We put the "fun" in Funeral"?

Nothing beats an Irish wake though.

Gassho, Marc
        sat
        A sobbing Mrs. Murphy approaches Father O’Grady after mass.

He says: “So what’s bothering you?”

She replies: “Oh, Father, I’ve terrible news. My husband passed away last night.”

The priest says: “Oh, Mary, that’s terrible. Did he have any last requests?”

"Certainly father," she replied. “He said: “Please Mary, put down that damn gun.”

Gassho
        Myosha
        sat today
        "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Comment

• Heigan
          • Mar 2014

Happy Relaxing Cosmic Yoga sounds like the new place opening down the street from my house in yet another mixed-use development in Atlanta.

To make zazen Big in Japan, I think we need some kind of weird game show where people meditate and if they move they get hit with fish by a guy dressed as some kaiju monster...there...I think there are enough stereotypes included in that statement

Gassho,

Heigan
          #sattoday

Comment

• Makkusu
            • Sep 2016

Yes. That is one reason I have so much difficulty to get Japanese folks to come to Zazen. Buddhism is almost totally in most folks minds about funerals for grandpa and memorial ceremonies for the ancestors.

I might as well place an add that says, "Come to the Funeral Home and Have Some Fun!"

I seriously would do better here to detach the Zazen completely from Buddhism and call it "Happy Relax Cosmic Yoga" or something. People would come.
            Abbot Muho wrote something like that in his newest book. The Japanese tend to mix up their religions so they have different shrines at home, one for Shintoism, one for Buddhism,... That was very interesting to hear, sadly they don't care much about Zen.

Comment

• pinoybuddhist
              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Heigan
              Happy Relaxing Cosmic Yoga sounds like the new place opening down the street from my house in yet another mixed-use development in Atlanta.

To make zazen Big in Japan, I think we need some kind of weird game show where people meditate and if they move they get hit with fish by a guy dressed as some kaiju monster...there...I think there are enough stereotypes included in that statement

Gassho,

Heigan
              #sattoday
              Don't forget the kawaii idols dressed in skimpy versions of the typical Japanese schoolgirl uniform and the loud comedians/hosts commentating the nonaction. Jundo can join them as the resident gaijin talent. [emoji1]

[emoji1431]Raf
              Sat some happy relaxed cosmic yoga today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• FaithMoon
                • Jul 2015

Jundo, It must be disappointing that there is so little interest in zazen where you are. It is important to me that my local sangha conducts memorial ceremonies. I can imagine that having this service available in Japan is a relief for some who have moved away from their home temple. I am speaking as a sangha member who had a family member die recently.

FaithMoon
                st
                sat today!

Comment

• Jundo
                  • Apr 2006

Hi Faith,

Funerals and memorial services are important, and Buddhist temples provide an important glue that helps bring Japanese families together.

It is just that Buddhism in Japan has become little else. That is unfortunate. A Buddhist temple or priest is about the last place that any spiritually inclined young person in Japan would turn these days. So called "new religious" have become the more likely outlet for such folks.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

Comment

• Kaishin
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jundo
                    So called "new religious" have become the more likely outlet for such folks.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
                    Are any of these peripherally related to Buddhism (like SGI), or are they just new-agey concoctions? How big is Christianity in Japan?

-satToday
                    Thanks,
                    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
                    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Jundo
                      • Apr 2006

Hi Kaishin,

Christianity has been historically very small in Japan, although there are small groups of Christians. I believe that they are less than 1% of the population. There are various reasons for that.

My local supermarket plays Christmas music. Yours probably does too. My neighbors have Christmas trees. So do yours, no doubt. At this time of year, in the major cities if not nationwide, you might almost think you were in a Christian country.

Yes, SGI is one of the more established and very very large "New Religions," an offshoot of Nichiren Buddhism. But there are many hundreds of groups, mostly small, with all variety of beliefs combining Shinto, Buddhism, Christianity, Judaism, New Agey beliefs, Divination and you name it ...

This discusses some of the larger ones (and a couple very notorious) ...

The 19th and 20th centuries saw an explosion of new religious movements across the world, and in Japan, these movements helped shape the way many Japanese perceived "religiousness." Above is a...

The Wiki listing is actually pretty detailed and interesting ...

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
                      Last edited by Jundo; 09-29-2016, 02:36 AM.

Comment

• Jakuden
                        • Jun 2015

Thanks for asking Kaishin, I was curious about that too. Obviously people everywhere are searching for something spiritual... it is kind of like a koan in itself how we pick, choose or even create a religion based on what we want out of it.
                        Which brings me to a question of my own: when I had my "sesshin interview " before attending sesshin at ZMM, the monastic who interviewed me wanted to know my goal/reason for wanting to do sesshin. I felt like my answers were not what he was looking for, although I was allowed to go. The same guy emphasized the importance of having a goal or a reason to sit later at an introductory talk at the monastery.
                        I guess I still wonder about what is a "good reason to sit." I probably look for relief from suffering, like anyone else, but is that attainable if I set it out that way as a desire? Isn't that grasping/wanting? [emoji848] If there is a goal, it would seem to be "just being awake" without searching for anything, which is the non-attainable Buddha Way.
                        Gassho
                        Jakuden
                        SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• FaithMoon
                          • Jul 2015

Jakuden, Try these keywords in your search engine: buddhism desire paradox

My reason to sit: to save all beings. Might as well have big desires

Faith-Moon
                          st
                          sat today!

Comment

• Jakuden
                            • Jun 2015

Originally posted by FaithMoon
                            Jakuden, Try these keywords in your search engine: buddhism desire paradox

My reason to sit: to save all beings. Might as well have big desires

Faith-Moon
                            st
                            Thanks! I actually came across an interesting thread here along with some other general info.

Gassho,
                            Jakuden
                            SatToday

Comment

Working...