Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Koushu
    • May 2016

Drilling of the Mind Water

Since the start of our Ango and Jukai season I have expanded a part of my practice by sitting in simple zazen on my drill sites during lunch. Luckily I can achieve this practice with the support of my co-workers and bosses.

Last Friday I experienced something similar but greater than the feeling that I, the drill, all of its components, the soil, my co-worker, and water were not just interconnected but one.

The drill is like our teachings. My partner is like the sangha. The drill bits are like the practice of zazen. The strata of soil is like our minds. The water is our realization of no thingness.

Sometimes we achieve a gush of pure clean water as in that moment of understanding and connectedness with all Buddhas and Bodhisattvas and ancestors. Most times we hit the little or murky waters that may show us a little light or point us further into the depths.

In our practice as in drilling for water over time we learn to read the strata, the soil and water content. Should it be silt, clay or sand our water will be murky and we must put further casing down to fortify the well so it doesn't collapse on us and keep going further down. The casing is represented of our patients, for each length must be carefully placed and wielded upon the original piece. Finally we hit gravel, shale, limestone or bedrock and the better or pure water. But each site is like Zazen in that the process begins anew, with many uncertainties.

This is a train or understanding that is still growing in me and that I wished to share with my brothers and sisters here.

I may well expand more later.

Gassho

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk
  • Ongen
    • Jan 2014

Drilling of the Mind Water

Hi,

What a nice analogy I can picture you sitting there

What is the difference between the surface that you're drilling into and the water coming up?

Gassho
    Ongen

Sat today
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Comment

• Tai Shi
      • Oct 2014

It is our approach, Daizan and I, in exploring each other's views that we would be more methodical and less personal than the gush of water. So let it be said that a slow and non-personal approach for us is perhaps, only speaking for each other, just fine.

Gassho
      about std
      Tai Shi
      Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

• Kyonin
        Treeleaf Priest / Engineer
        • Oct 2010

Hi!

Thank you for this analogy. Yes, after you drill all the dirt and mud you can find still and clear waters beneath. The thing is, sometimes the mud will cover it all again so we have to start drilling again.

It's a beginning-less circle, undivisible and perfect.

Gassho,

Kyonin
        #SatToday
        Hondō Kyōnin
        奔道 協忍

Comment

• Mp

Wonderful expression, thank you. =)

Gassho
          Shingen

s@today

Comment

• Jundo
            Treeleaf Founder and Priest
            • Apr 2006

Hi,

That tower looks like what Dogen meant by Shikantaza as "sitting upright in the mountain state".

A lovely description ...

Last Friday I experienced something similar but greater than the feeling that I, the drill, all of its components, the soil, my co-worker, and water were not just interconnected but one.

The drill is like our teachings. My partner is like the sangha. The drill bits are like the practice of zazen. The strata of soil is like our minds. The water is our realization of no thingness.

Sometimes we achieve a gush of pure clean water as in that moment of understanding and connectedness with all Buddhas and Bodhisattvas and ancestors. Most times we hit the little or murky waters that may show us a little light or point us further into the depths.
            I would simply add that, in this Shikantaza well, there is no depth to achieve ... and yet we keep digging on. The bottom of the well flows into the top, the top is precisely the bottom, "all is well" every inch of the way, wet or dry. The moon shines on all the broken bits.

The waters are present whether tapped or untapped, the pure water flows in both stones and mud. Sometimes the waters flow crystal clear, but the wise eye can see the clarity even in the darkest stream much as a Lotus thriving in the mud.

In our practice as in drilling for water over time we learn to read the strata, the soil and water content. Should it be silt, clay or sand our water will be murky and we must put further casing down to fortify the well so it doesn't collapse on us and keep going further down. The casing is represented of our patients, for each length must be carefully placed and wielded upon the original piece. Finally we hit gravel, shale, limestone or bedrock and the better or pure water. But each site is like Zazen in that the process begins anew, with many uncertainties.
            Yes, this is Practice-Enlightenment, as the well is never finished (nor begins for that matter) ... not during this human life anyway. Step by step, each choice is a new case to be weld.

Do you know what Dogen said about waters?

Water is neither strong nor weak, neither wet nor dry, neither moving nor still, neither cold nor hot, neither being nor nonbeing, neither delusion nor enlightenment. Frozen, it harder than diamond; who could break it? Melted, it is softer than milk; who could break it?

In general, then, the way of seeing mountains and waters differs according to the type of being [that sees them]. In seeing water, there are beings who see it as a jeweled necklace. This does not mean, however, that they see a jeweled necklace as water. How, then, do we see what they consider water? Their jeweled necklace is what we see as water. Some see water as miraculous flowers, though it does not follow that they use flowers as water. Hungry ghosts see water as raging flames or as pus and blood. Dragons and fish see it as a palace or a tower, or as the seven treasures or the mani gem. [Others] see it as woods and walls, or as the dharma nature of immaculate liberation, or as the true human body, or as the physical form and mental nature. Humans see these as water. And these [different ways of seeing] are the conditions under which [water] is killed or given life. [NOTE: These various ways of seeing are based on the Vijñânavâda teaching known as "the four views of water": gods see water as jewels; humans see it as water; hungry ghosts, as blood; and fish, as a dwelling. ]

... Is it that there are various ways of seeing one object? Or is it that we have mistaken various images for one object? At the peak of our concentrated effort on this, we should concentrate still more. Therefore, our practice and verification, our pursuit of the way, must also be not merely of one or two kinds, and the ultimate realm must also have a thousand types and ten thousand kinds.

If we reflect further on the real import of this [question], although we say there is water of the various types, it would seem there is no original water, no water of various types. Nevertheless, the various waters in accordance with the types [of beings] do not depend on the mind, do not depend on the body [of these beings]; they do not arise from [different types of] karma; they are not dependent on self; they are not dependent on other. They are liberated dependent on water. Therefore, water is not [the water of] earth, water, fire, wind, space or consciousness; it is not blue, yellow, red, white or black; it is not form, sound, smell, taste, touch or idea. Nevertheless, the waters of earth, water, fire, wind, space, and the rest have been spontaneously appearing [as such].

... However, when humans look at water, they have the one way that sees it only as flowing without rest. This "flow" takes many forms, of which the human view is but one. [Water] flows over the earth; it flows across the sky; it flows up; it flows down. [Water] flows around bends and into deep abysses. It mounts up to form clouds; it descends to form pools.

... To say that there are places to which water does not reach is the teaching of the Hinayana shravaka or the false teaching of the non-Buddhist. Water extends into flames; it extends into thought, reasoning and discrimination; it extends into awareness and the buddha nature.

"Descending to earth, it becomes rivers and streams." We should realize that, when water descends to earth, it becomes rivers and streams, and that the essence of rivers and streams becomes sages. The foolish common folk think that water is always in rivers, streams, and seas, but this is not so: [water] makes rivers and seas within water. Therefore, water is in places that are not rivers and seas; it is just that, when water descends to earth, it works as rivers and seas.

Moreover, we should not study that, when water has become rivers and seas, there is then no world and no buddha land [within water]: incalculable buddha lands are realized even within a single drop of water. Consequently, it is not that water exists within the buddha land, nor that the buddha land exists within water: the existence of water has nothing whatever to do with the three times or the dharma realm. Nevertheless, though it is like this, it is the koan of the actualization of water.

Wherever the buddhas and ancestors are, water is always there; wherever water is, there the buddhas and ancestors always appear. Therefore, the buddhas and ancestors have always taken up water as their own body and mind, their own thinking.

http://web.stanford.edu/group/scbs/s...anslation.html
            That old dowser Dogen, his words could really flow ... although sometimes he was just all wet.

Gassho, J

PS - (Would you mind signing a name to your posts, unless you are Yuuki )
            ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Koushu
              • May 2016

The name is a funny thing, my birth-certificate say James, my baptismal records says Yuri. My family was Siberian immigrants to America so at home I was Yuri and outside of home I was James. Then my wife renamed Yuuki Sugiyama because I guess I know a great deal about Japanese history and traditional culture as well as have studied various forms of traditional Japanese martial arts. So I am comfortable with any of the three names James, Yuri or Yuuki.

Thanks a great much Jundo for that bit of Dogen engineering.

Gassho

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

Comment

• Jishin
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Jundo

That old dowser Dogen, his words could really flow ... although sometimes he was just all wet.
                Thank you for Dogen's words. He is always such a fun read. [emoji1]

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Comment

• Byokan
                  Treeleaf Unsui
                  • Apr 2014

Hi Yuuki,

thanks for sharing this. The truth is all around, right in front of us if we look. All things are expressions of emptiness. So great that your co-workers and bosses support your practice. Happy sitting / drilling!

Gassho
                  Byōkan
                  sat today
                  展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
                  Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Comment

• Washin
                    Treeleaf Unsui
                    • Dec 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience, Yuri. Great expression.

Gassho
                    Washin
                    sat today, drilling my wall..
                    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
                    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
                    ----
                    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
                    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Comment

Working...