Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Koushu
    • May 2016

Personal Practice

Since joining Treeleaf Zendo many interesting thing have started to happen, for one the previous Zen Sangha I was attending has moved to a better place to accommodate our practice on a daily basis, I got fired from one job to get hired by another job in which I have come to find satisfying and teaches me a lot about my path in Zen in terms of seeking that fresh cool water under the unknown layer of Earth's strata. Over the last few week the Sangha I attend here in my town has asked me to join in their discussions on how to move the Sangha forward. It has caused some confusion as my first and only experience with Soto-Shu was in Japan and formal training, here it is more lose and the way for me to set forth on my hope to priesthood has harden my resolve but I see my practice somewhere between Traditional Japanese style and a little western style but the path I feel is block in the way that the Sangha I am connected with here is under the umbrella of the San Francisco Zen Center which means I would have to take time, at least the same as our's here at Treeleaf of three months to travel to the Center to take formal training in which case I would or have been told I would have to conform to their style. At least for my daily practice I commit to Zazen between my part-time job and my full-time job and after work, reciting of the precepts and Heart Sutra (in Japanese) and on my weekends I am committed transcribing the Heart Sutra (in Japanese) and at least one hour of what I call Yama Kihin (Mountain Walking Meditation) which includes both recitation and Zazen. I was told that this last practice is not cohesive with the San Francisco Zen Center for priest training. I had explained that it is my personal practice, but still felt it was not acceptable.

Jundo; what are your thoughts on my practice? For me it is something that empowers (gives me vitality) in my practice of Soto-shu, as I have experienced many times in Japan hiking in the lonely mountains and coming across small hidden meditation halls.

I would also like to thank Shingen for our talks when I first joined Treeleaf and helping have the courage to follow my path into Soto-shu.

I would accept any other comments.

Gassho
    Sugiyama Yuuki (James Kavajecz)
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Hi Sugiyama,

I always say that every Sangha and Teacher is what it is ... when in Rome, sit as the Romans sit. No place is perfect, let alone perfectly what we dream it should be ... and that is a GOOD thing in the Zen world, because this is a Practice beyond and dancing perfection and imperfections, person judgments and demands. Actually, our monthly Zazenkai talk was pretty much about that this month ... Please have a listen (it is in the middle here somewhere) ...

Today's Talk will bump into recent Koans from the Book of Serenity, POSTED BELOW. Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am (early Saturday

So, when in their house, you must sit that way.

Here at Treeleaf, so long as folks are sitting in the manner of Shikantaza once each day on the cushion ... beyond time and measure ... and are kind to each other, and our doing as they can to live gently ... and are trying to take Shikantaza and the Precepts out into life too ...

... then I am not too concerned about what other Practices folks engage in. We even have some Christien Zennies, some Amida Zennies, some this or that or the other thing Zennies, and the like around here too, as well as folks who combine their Zen Practice with everything from being a Parent to being a law enforcement officer or doctor to being a martial artist ...

That is just the flavor of this house.

And of course, I expect priest novices around here to master and embody and learn about many of our Traditions and Doctrines, History and Ways to keep the flame going. So, that is a bit special to people who want to be Priests, and I understand and support the San Francisco folks in trying to do that in their way too. I am glad that they are keeping many such Traditions and strict ways alive, for those traditions might be lost if all places were like Treeleaf. Part of being a Zen priest is learning to give up what "you want" and your likes and dislikes, and replacing that with the House Flavor and the greater good (as seen in that House). I spoke about that recently as well.

SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: Who Is a Priest ...
    Who is a Zen Priest ... and how to nurture their Training? And who perhaps is not? These are difficult questions, especially in our little Sangha. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qme6WWhROeI Listen Through our Treeleaf Audio Podcast HERE: http://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/july-2016-sit-a-long-with-jundo-who-is-a-priest/

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-15-2016, 04:45 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Kyonin
      Treeleaf Priest / Engineer
      • Oct 2010

Thank you for this reminder, Jundo.

Gassho,

Kyonin
      #SatToday
      Hondō Kyōnin
      奔道 協忍

Comment

• Ongen
        • Jan 2014

[emoji120]
        Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Comment

• Mp

Thank you Jundo and Sugiyama,

I can't for the life of me remember where I heard this (as I was scrambling through my notes) ... here goes, =)

"When in the ocean, be the ocean. When in the mountains, be the mountains."
          Gassho
          Shingen

s@today

Comment

• Koushu
            • May 2016

Thank you Jundo, I have found clarity through the confusion. I know it to be one of my faults to sometimes see things in a rigid fashion, non the less I hope to travel this path with a more understanding mind.

Gassho

Sent from my X9 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Myosha
              • Mar 2013

Hello,

Similar to, in a completely different way: Bruce Lee

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

Gassho
              Myosha
              sat today
              Last edited by Myosha; 08-17-2016, 12:20 PM.
              "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by Myosha

Hello,

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

Gassho
                Myosha
                sat today
                I like it, thank you! =)

Gassho
                Shingen

s@today

Comment

• Meian
                  • Apr 2015

I've been listening to the TL podcasts sometimes, really enjoying it. And while I come from a different faith tradition (as I've mentioned before), I've come to personally claim TreeLeaf as my Home in my own way. It "fits" me and not always comfortably, and that's good. It challenges me as well, very often.

Gassho,
                  Kim
                  Sat today

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
                  鏡道 |​ Kyodo (Meian) | "Mirror of the Way"
                  visiting Unsui
                  Nothing I say is a teaching, it's just my own opinion.

Comment

• Meian
                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Myosha

Hello,

Gassho
                    Myosha
                    sat today
                    Myosha, really like these quotes. Thank you.

Gassho
                    Kim
                    S/t

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
                    鏡道 |​ Kyodo (Meian) | "Mirror of the Way"
                    visiting Unsui
                    Nothing I say is a teaching, it's just my own opinion.

Comment

• Koushu
                      • May 2016

I too consider Treeleaf as my home, my other practice or sangha I attend is more of a support have. Thank you again Jundo.

Gassho

Sent from my X9 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...