• Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Fugen to Retire from Priest Training

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Dear All,

It is a good time for transitions and changes for Fugen, with his upcoming wedding and new son. Fugen will be retiring from Priest Training because of personal reasons and circumstances that have made it impossible, over a long period of time, for him to meet the needs of Training that I mentioned in my recent video talk. Ultimately, it is my decision.

SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: Who Is a Priest ...
    Who is a Zen Priest ... and how to nurture their Training? And who perhaps is not? These are difficult questions, especially in our little Sangha. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qme6WWhROeI Listen Through our Treeleaf Audio Podcast HERE: http://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/july-2016-sit-a-long-with-jundo-who-is-a-priest/

There are certain things that have to be embodied and mastered in Priest Training, and it is not always possible for everyone for many reasons. However, I want to find a way for Fugen to remain a treasured and honored member of this Sangha, active participant and friend to all of us. I hope that he will serve in other ways. Perhaps in the West there is too much emphasis on priests training to be "Teachers" who deliver talks about the Dharma, hold ceremonies, lead Zen groups and have their own students. Fugen will not be an authorized Teacher. will not deliver Dharma Talks, will not be authorized to bestow the Precepts on others, lead rituals, guide a group as a priest or have his own formal students in or outside this Sangha. He will not be authorized to Ordain others nor authorize anyone else as a Buddhist Teacher. It is not even clear that Fugen will remain a "Zen Priest" in the traditional sense, and I leave that an open question for now. In any event, the hard borders between "priest and lay, male and female" are rather transparent in this Sangha. I know that he will remain a beloved and friendly face around here, and we will see what the future holds. He says that he is happy to continue being "Just Fugen". I believe that and do too.

I have had Fugen take time away from Treeleaf to let the changes settle and to come to terms with it all. That also is my decision and expectation. I know he will focus on his wedding and new family for now, and I hope to have him around here again soon.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-31-2016, 06:03 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Myosha
    • Mar 2013

Metta to all.

Gassho
    Myosha
    sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Comment

• Byokan
      Treeleaf Unsui
      • Apr 2014

Bit of a shock, this, and yet I trust that all has been decided for the best. Fugen, you are so loved and treasured here. I really hope you will continue to practice with us.

Today is a new day and a fresh beginning, and my wish is that all these changes will flower into happiness and well-being for you and your family.

A deep bow to you Fugen, for all that came before and all that is to come. Thank you for your practice.

Gassho
      Byōkan
      sat today
      展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
      Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Comment

• Sekishi
        Treeleaf Priest
        • Apr 2013

Fugen, you have been and will no doubt continue to be both a mentor and friend to this foolish person.

Thank you for all that you do to shape Treeleaf.

Mtfbwy,
        Sekishi

#sattoday
        Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Comment

• Mp

Thank you Fugen for all that you have given to Treeleaf. Sometimes the path we walk can change right beneath our feet, I know in time that path will become clear for you. Be well, enjoy the wedding and the new member of the family, practice comes in many ways.

Gassho
          Shingen

s@today

Comment

• Jakuden
            • Jun 2015

Deep bows, Fugen, and I hope you will still be here with us in the Sangha. Thank you for everything you have done for Treeleaf. Mtfbwy [emoji868] ❤️
            Gassho,
            Jakuden
            SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• lorax
              • Jun 2008

Furgen, you have been and I am sure will continue to be one of the elements that makes Treeleaf a true Sangha. I hold all of our unusi is high esteem....and you were special among them. Take care, life makes many strange turns and we just have to follow them the best we can.

SAT TODAY
              Shozan

Comment

• Kotei
                Treeleaf Unsui
                • Mar 2015

Fugen,
                thank you!

A wise guy, around here, uses to say: "It's all good practice." ;-)

Mtfbwy,
                Kotei sattoday.
                義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Comment

• Jika
                  • Jun 2014

I'm shocked.

Too many thoughts.

Fugen, please don't be a stranger.

Thank you for your time and dedication, your kindness, and for doing the dishes.

Gassho,
                  Jika
                  #sattoday
                  治 Ji
                  花 Ka

Comment

• Jinyo
                    • Jan 2012

All the best for the future Fugen,

Gassho,

Willow/Jinyo

ST

Comment

• Washin
                      Treeleaf Unsui
                      • Dec 2014

Bit of a shock
                      Yes, indeed.

Fugen, thank you for everything you've done for this great Community!
                      I'm hopeful we will continue our Tue Fukudenkai's as well as Wed Sits together.
                      Wish you and yours be well. Bows

Washin
                      sat today
                      Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
                      Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
                      ----
                      I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
                      and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Comment

• Josan
                        • Aug 2013

Quite a shock indeed. Thank you Fugen for all you have done for the sangha and all that you -hopefully -will continue to do. Gassho. Josan
                        If you miss the moment, you miss your life - John Daido Loori

Comment

• Kyotai

Thank you Fugen for the time you have put in, for me and this Sagnha.

Gassho, Kyotai
                          ST

Comment

• Shugen
                            Treeleaf Unsui
                            • Nov 2007

Thank you Fugen. Enjoy the changes and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Gassho,

Shugen
                            Meido Shugen
                            明道 修眼

Comment

• Joyo

Metta to all.

I wish you all the best, Fugen, wherever life takes you.

Gassho,
                              Joyo
                              sat today

Comment

Working...