Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • derek12261984
    • May 2016

into the void

I just had the strangest experience during one of my meditation sessions. So strange in fact that I'm not sure words can express the experience. I was in a deep state and had been meditating for around an hour. I was feeling a profound sense of peace when all of a sudden it was like the curtain of my mind fell away and exposed this huge expanse. Like opening up into an eternal void. It startled me so bad that I couldn't hold it. It was both scary and wonderfull at the same time. It felt like my mind was going to break. It only lasted for the briefest of moments and I wasn't able to get back there when I tried it again. I just wanted to share my experience and ask if anyone else had gone through something similar. If so maybe you could shed some light on what I whitnessed.

Gassho

Derek

Sat today
    Last edited by derek12261984; 07-13-2016, 09:19 PM.
    "Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."

Gassho

Derek
  • Kyonin
    Treeleaf Priest / Engineer
    • Oct 2010

Hi Derek,

Sometimes this happens to some of us in this practice. We get this wonderful and profound sensations that there is nothing but at the same time we know that this void is what unifies it all.

It's a sacred and rare experience. Enjoy it.

It's nothing special. It's very special.

Now forget about it and go about your daily life.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

Lovely.

As Kyonin teaches so eloquently, we tend to cherish these insights, learn from them ... yet move on, certainly not clinging or chasing after such in our Way. Even when encountering a powerful life changing vision, insight or other spiritual experience, we generally Bow to that, Appreciate such, learn from such and move on. Why?

I sometime say this at such moments ...

These experiences can be light and deep and beyond light or deep. This can be much more profound and enveloping than a sensation of "I" feeling oneness or awe. HOWEVER, that does not matter because, generally in Soto, we consider all such experiences as passing scenery ... just a visit to the wonders of the Grand Canyon. One cannot stay there, as lovely as it is. Nice and educational place to visit ... would not, should not, could not truly live there. One can even live perfectly well never having visited the vast Canyon at all. The most important thing is to get on the bus, get on with the trip, get on with life from there. In our Soto Way, the WHOLE TRIP is Enlightenment when realized as such (that is the True "Kensho"!) ... not some momentary stop or passing scene or some final destination. ...

For Soto Folks, when we realize such ... every moment of the Buddha-Bus trip, the scenery out the windows (both what we encounter as beautiful and what appears ugly), the moments of good health and moments of passing illness, the highway, the seats and windows, all the other passengers on the Bus who appear to be riding with us, when we board and someday when we are let off ... the whole Trip ... is all the Buddha-Bus, all Enlightenment and Kensho, all the "destination" beyond "coming" or "going" or "getting there", when realized as such (Kensho). This ride is what we make it.

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...l=1#post134787
      Nonetheless, cherish and treasure such momentless moments, a priceless gift.

Gassho, J

SatToday
      Last edited by Jundo; 07-14-2016, 01:20 AM.
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by Kyonin
        Hi Derek,

Sometimes this happens to some of us in this practice. We get this wonderful and profound sensations that there is nothing but at the same time we know that this void is what unifies it all.

It's a sacred and rare experience. Enjoy it.

It's nothing special. It's very special.

Now forget about it and go about your daily life.

Gassho,

Kyonin
        #SatToday
        Yes, Kyonin speaks my words as well ... enjoy it, let it go, and continue on with life. =)

Gassho
        Shingen

s@today

Comment

• derek12261984
          • May 2016

Thank you for all the advice. It was indeed quite a profound moment, and your advice is much appreciated. I've found myself wanting to move back into that experience but as you suggested I will let it go and move on. Thank you again Kyonin, Jundo, and Shingen for your wise words.

Gassho
          Derek

Sat today
          "Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."

Gassho

Derek

Comment

• Tairin
            • Feb 2016

Hi Derek

I believe I've had a similar experience a few times, although not with the same intensity it sounds like you had. What I can add to the conversation is that the moment felt truly profound and I found myself wanting to replicate the experience. That led to a few days of perceived "bad Zazen" as I felt not getting back there was a failure of some kind.

I guess my point of writing here is to empathize with your experience and your attempts to better understand what happened.

Gassho
            Warren
            Sat today
            泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Comment

• Jishin
              • Oct 2012

Hi Derek,

I have had very deep experiences like you have described but I was stoned or high on something. Same but different.

Gassho, Jishin, ST

Comment

• John Mac
                • Apr 2016

Many paths lead from
                The foot of the mountain
                but at the peak
                We all gaze at the
                Same bright moon

Comment

• Jundo
                  Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by John Mac
                  Many paths lead from
                  The foot of the mountain
                  but at the peak
                  We all gaze at the
                  Same bright moon
                  Do you know that the moon shines at the foot of the mountain, lighting each step up and down, and is the mountain too?

Gassho, J

SatToday
                  ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Washin
                    Treeleaf Unsui
                    • Dec 2014

Do you know that the moon shines at the foot of the mountain, lighting each step up and down, and is the mountain too?

Washin
                    ST
                    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
                    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
                    ----
                    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
                    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Comment

Working...