Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FlamingDollar
    • Jun 2015

Question on "object of concentration"

Hi folks and friends, I hope you all are well.

Just a quick question. I've seen some discussion here before on the matter but it didn't entirely clear this up for me.

When doing zazen, I do try to put the spaciousness as recommended by Jundo as my object of concentration, but I admit I don't entirely understand how to do that. Usually, it just ends up with me focusing on my cranium for some odd reason. I have better luck with the traditional top of my left palm.

How can I fix this?

Thanks!

Gassho,
    Will

Sat today
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Hi Will,

Let me just mention what I usually say about the object of attention during Zazen:

Every form of Shikantaza has to place the attention somewhere. There are many small variations in Shikantaza, teacher to teacher. One has to place and focus (and simultaneously not place/focus) the mind somewhere!

So, for example, Uchiyama Roshi was a "bring your attention back to the posture" guy. Nishijima Roshi was a "focus on keeping the spine straight" fellow, and there are others who emphasize focusing on the breath or the Hara (also called the "Tanden", the traditional "center of gravity" of the body, and a center of Qi energy in traditional Chinese medicine) ...

Dogen once advised to place the mind in the left palm. Some merely emphasize the wall or floor one may be facing. All are forms of Shikantaza ... so long as the objectless nature of sitting is maintained even if focused on an object.

In fact, all forms of Shikantaza have an "object of meditation", a place to focus or place the mind to build a degree of concentration and quiet the thoughts (hopefully to soften the border and pass through "object" and "subject"), while dropping all effort to attain and releasing all judgments. At Treeleaf, ... as our central "objectless" object of meditation, I recommend open, spacious sitting centered on everything and nothing at all ... sitting with open, spacious awareness ... sitting with the whole world but without being lost in trains of thought (which I also sometimes describe as having the mind focused on "no place and everyplace at once"). That open stillness is our "object of concentration" (I emphasize such because it makes it clearer that Zazen is not a tool, and makes it easier to take our Practice off the cushion and into the rest of the world, than simply following the breath or focusing on a part of the body).
    I sometimes also feel that emphasizing the feelings of posture too much might mislead some people into concluding that Zazen is about attaining some particular physical sensation of balance of body. I think Uchiyama makes it clear that it is really not about that, even though he was a "return to the posture, again and again" fellow.

I want to mention that I am currently somewhat reworking our video series for "Beginners, We are All Always Beginners". In that I will be emphasizing somewhat more that folks new to Zazen should follow the breath, and stay with that for weeks or months, gradually transitioning into "choiceless, open spacious awareness". Why don't you try that? Follow the breath at the tip of the nose, as it enters and exits. Do not say audibly inside your head "inhaling" or "exhaling" or the like, but just be silently aware. Also, have some subtle feeling in heart that "inside" and "outside" are not two, and that the border we create between is rather an arbitrary construct. Just breathe, feeling that "inside is outside, outside just in".

See how that works.

Perhaps, once or twice a sitting, move off into "open spacious awareness" in which the "object of attention" is any one thing or everything in your surroundings, but without giving particular thought or pondering particularly any of it. Here too, maybe have some sense of "inside" and "outside" as not two. Move back to the breath again if difficult to rest there.

Report back to us here on how that works out ... and works in.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-10-2016, 01:15 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• FlamingDollar
      • Jun 2015

Thank you, Jundo. Admittedly, most of my experience with meditation is Thanissaro Bhikkhu's method (which I practiced for some time), which actually focuses on a sort-of-visualization and, in a way, control of the breath. Shifting off like this to an awareness and into open awareness may be for the best here.

Thank you. I'm very grateful and will be following your advice on that one.

Gassho
      Will

Sat today

Comment

• Kyosei
        • Feb 2012

Thank you Will for this topic.

Thank you Jundo for the answers.

I found them very clear and very specific.

May I ask something?

What it means to "bring the attention" exactly? sometimes I move my eyes and this "brings me back" from thoughts. Sometimes I inhale... sometimes I hear (without focusing specifically) a sound coming from outside... What "mental" attitude should one do to - not moving phisically from posture (not even moving the eyes) - bring the attention to that "open awareness"?

When we "perceive" the objects and surrounding environment without thoughts arising can we say it is "open spacious awareness"? (I mean, when doing zazen or not)?

Gassho
        Last edited by Kyosei; 07-13-2016, 03:14 PM.
        _/|\_

Kyōsei

強 Kyō
        声 Sei

Namu kie Butsu, Namu kie Ho, Namu kie So.

Comment

Working...