Anyone ever used a meditation journal?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Koushu
    • May 2016

Lol that would be my conversation, I prefer Jungian thought over boring academic, clinical or Freudian thought.

Sent from my X9 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Jishin
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Yuukisugiyama
      Lol that would be my conversation, I prefer Jungian thought over boring academic, clinical or Freudian thought.

Psychology is fine. Lots of people here like to talk about it, particularly since Buddhism and psychology share a lot of ideas. Lots of people that hang out here work in academics/clinical setting regarding psychology. I don't like it since I use it all day long at work - I am a psychiatrist. I rather be a silly willy with my funny-not-so-funny zen talk.

Gassho, Jishin, ST

Comment

• Koushu
        • May 2016

Lol. I just was certified in Jungian Psychotherapy, but I'm most interested in dreams, symbols and non-thingness. My life has been a journey that is now condensing down to my spiritual practice on one hand and my practice (rather study of) TCM, transpersonal psychology, the martial arts and various meditations.

I hope in time to distill my passions in an effort to help sentient being even if it be one tiny ant to escape samsara.

Comment

• Matt
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Jundo
          Our small self, the body-mind, is always filled with countless desires ... the desire to be somewhere else, be getting somewhere, achieving some prize, some distant goal. Our body-mind is always judging this or that as somehow inadequate to what the body-mind wants, its likes and dislikes, needs, regrets and dreams.

Thus, when there is sat an instant of Zazen as wholeness in just sitting, the only place to be and act to do in that instant in all of reality that is required to fulfill life as life
          Thank you for this teaching, Jundo.

Deep bows,
          Matt
          #SatToday

Comment

• Jishin
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Yuukisugiyama
            Jungian Psychotherapy
            I been looking for Carl for a while. If you find him be sure to tell him I like to get grab some tea with him. You are invited too off course.

Gassho, Jishin, ST

Comment

• Mitty-san
              • Jul 2016

Hi Jishin,

What is the difference between practicing psychiatry and chopping wood?
              _/\_
              Paul

Comment

• Mitty-san
                • Jul 2016

Also,

Sat today.

Gassho,

Paul
                _/\_
                Paul

Comment

• Jishin
                  • Oct 2012

Anyone ever used a meditation journal?

Originally posted by Mitty-san
                  Hi Jishin,

What is the difference between practicing psychiatry and chopping wood?
                  If I say different I am attached to form.

If I say same I am attached to intellectual emptiness.

If I don't answer I am either ignorant or know true emptiness.

If I say practicing psychiatry is just practicing psychiatry, not one thing missing. I give a true answer. Just like the sky is blue and the grass is green.

If I say chopping wood is just chopping wood, not one thing missing. I give a true answer. Just like the water is wet and clouds are white.

If I answer with appropriate action then I utilize truth for the benefit of sentient beings. I decrease suffering by being a doctor and I chop wood to stay warm so I can help sentient beings.

Which answer do you want?

Be careful how you answer.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
                  Last edited by Jishin; 07-20-2016, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• Myosha
                    • Mar 2013

yep

Hello,

Funniest "As-if" thread ever.

Thank you.

Gassho
                    Myosha
                    sat today
                    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Comment

• Jishin
                      • Oct 2012

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Comment

• Mitty-san
                        • Jul 2016

Originally posted by Jishin
                        If I say different I am attached to form.

If I say same I am attached to intellectual emptiness.

If I don't answer I am either ignorant or know true emptiness.

If I say practicing psychiatry is just practicing psychiatry, not one thing missing. I give a true answer. Just like the sky is blue and the grass is green.

If I say chopping wood is just chopping wood, not one thing missing. I give a true answer. Just like the water is wet and clouds are white.

If I answer with appropriate action then I utilize truth for the benefit of sentient beings. I decrease suffering by being a doctor and I chop wood to stay warm so I can help sentient beings.

Which answer do you want?

Be careful how you answer.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
                        Hi Jishin,

I think the best answer is all of this.

Or perhaps I should say your answer is just your answer.

In a less Zennish sense perhaps, I suppose I can relate. After writing software all day I'm ready for a change of pace, such as learning about Psychology. I suppose someone who chops wood all day wouldn't mind practicing psychiatry or writing software in their free time too. A rancher might spend the weekend in their townhome. While someone who lives in the city might want to escape for the weekend. I suppose that's why everything is just what it is.

PS: Perhaps this will suffice for your Carl Jung tea party: https://www.amazon.com/Carl-Finger-P...9075821&sr=8-3

Paul

Sat today.
                        _/\_
                        Paul

Comment

• Kyonin
                          Treeleaf Priest / Engineer
                          • Oct 2010

Hi Paul,

I think keeping a meditation journal is fine at the very first days of zazen practice. Not because we need it for the practice per se, but just to tell the mind that the new activity has come and it's time to adapt to discipline.

Back in the day, when I was a teenager and started sitting, I kept a journal. I think that lasted for about a week. Then I simply dropped the interest.

About shikantaza, I agree with the wise folks here, maybe is not that useful.

Gassho,

Kyonin
                          #SatToday
                          Hondō Kyōnin
                          奔道 協忍

Comment

• Jishin
                            • Oct 2012

Hi Paul,

I like Carl's finger puppet very much. [emoji3]

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Comment

• Careless Voice
                              • Apr 2016

Hello everyone,

Has anyone ever kept a meditation journal? From my experience and Psychology research I've seen it can be super helpful in better understanding and moving past any issues that recur during meditation, whether related to problems in life that keep clouding the mind during Zazen or issues more directly related to the meditation practice itself. However, I haven't heard of it specifically in the Soto Zen tradition. Perhaps it's one of those things some people do but it's not emphasized in Soto Zen.

Gassho _/\_
                              I have never created one. It is useless and only feeds the ego.

Kyle,
                              Sat2day

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Mitty-san
                                • Jul 2016

Thanks for the additional comments on journaling.

When I first started with a meditation journal, everything was about my meditation experiences, but slowly more-and-more it became journaling about the content of my thoughts during meditation, especially the stronger recurring ones. Eventually, I didn't really write anything about the meditation and it just became a regular journal I'd write in whenever. It drifted into what a lot of you have recommended.

In a more general sense though, like some of you, my memory isn't the best so if something seemingly important pops up, making a quick note of it somewhere can get it out of my head quickly.

Jishin, there used to be a Jung action figure on Amazon too. One of my Psychologist friends would battle his Jung and Sigmund Freud action figures. Jung would rip the oedipus out of Siggy.

Gassho,

Paul

Sat Today on this SATurday.
                                _/\_
                                Paul

Comment

Working...