At home in this tradition. Is there a study program?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • voylinux
    • Mar 2016

At home in this tradition. Is there a study program?

Hello everybody:

It's been about four months since I discovered this amazing sangha thanks to Kyonin. I will never thank you enough, Kyonin.

I have been a zen student for 10 years now. Nine of them in the Kwan Um School of Zen, my first tradition.
    But since I left my sangha about a year and a half ago, I had been like lost, and had somehow lost the hope to find a way to be able to recover my daily practice, the joy of a sangha, of this great zazen practice.

Really feel as this practice is for me the best way of life. I took the five precepts in the KUSZ about 8 years ago and two years later I took the ten precepts and spent two years studying to be a Dharma Teacher. Actually I did not finished it, as I didn't have my confirmation ceremony. Anyway, the point is that all this hard practice time and study I still feel like a beginner. An absolute beginner. I still feel I am nobody to be able to teach anyone ore give advice about, zen, buddhism or zazen.

Of course, this my fault not a school one. That is for sure.

The thing is since Kyonin showed me that sangha, something amazing has happened. I really feel I have found my place.
    Both because of the sangha and the teaching.

My daily practice and my joy for it have really come to life again. Now I feel the same wish for search and peace in practice that brought me to Zen in the first place, and my wife and two sons feel I am really well again. I feel at home with this sangha and the teaching of this tradition has been a great discovery. I never thought of the practice with this aproach.

I would like to know if there is somewhere in the forums where I can find a study program or something simillar about this tradition, teaching, precepts ... etc. I would really like to commit to the study of this tradition and teaching together with my daily practice.

Anyhow, thank you Jundo and everybody here for keeping this amazing and unique sangha alive.

Sat today.
    Please help me keep my cup empty so I can always learn.

Pablo.
  • Mp

Hello Voylinux,

Well, there is a ton of information if you want to study this tradition. Here are a couple of threads that can provide you with some good Dharma to chew on.

Because our primary practice is Shikantaza, have a look at all these wonderful resources Jundo has put together: http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/forum...IKANTAZA-ZAZEN.

Or maybe you are looking for knowledge in relations to the Buddha and his teachings? Then why not check out http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/forum...-Buddha-Basics and http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/forum...isattva-Basics.

Year after year we study the precepts in more detail during Ango and Jukai ... but if you would like to understand the precepts in more detail, check out http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/forum...yoki-Too%21%29.

Jundo has also put together a great recourse on Zen and Buddhist related materials, here is that list http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...REELEAF-SANGHA.

If you are looking to develop or deepen your practice at home, why not check out the Home Liturgy thread http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...t-home-liturgy.

I hope this gets you going, but please do let us know if you have any additional questions. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Comment

• voylinux
      • Mar 2016

Thank you Shingen.

I think this is just what I was looking for. There is a lot of wonderful material to study.

Gassho.

Enviado desde mi Aquaris E5 HD mediante Tapatalk

Pablo.

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by voylinux
        Thank you Shingen.

I think this is just what I was looking for. There is a lot of wonderful material to study.

Gassho.

Enviado desde mi Aquaris E5 HD mediante Tapatalk
        Your very welcome, glad it helps. =)

Gassho
        Shingen

s@today

Comment

• Kyonin
          Treeleaf Priest / Engineer
          • Oct 2010

Hi Pablo,

I'm glad you are happy here at Treeleaf. At the beginning I felt just like that. This here is home

Shingen just posted a great answer not only for you but for anyone new to Treeleaf. There's some fantastic dharma treasures to be discovered here.

I will only point to 3 things, just to compliment the answer.

1. Never forget our main focus is zazen. No matter where you are, what you do and regardless of what you read, please try to sit zazen diligently.

2. Life is our temple! All you do in life, from eating to go and wait in line at the bank, everything is part of our practice. The good and bad... all is part of the same package called life.

3. Please use your name in your signature. Pablo is better than voylinux

Enjoy and gassho,

Kyonin
          #SatToday
          Hondō Kyōnin
          奔道 協忍

Comment

• voylinux
            • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Kyonin
            Hi Pablo,

I'm glad you are happy here at Treeleaf. At the beginning I felt just like that. This here is home

Shingen just posted a great answer not only for you but for anyone new to Treeleaf. There's some fantastic dharma treasures to be discovered here.

I will only point to 3 things, just to compliment the answer.

1. Never forget our main focus is zazen. No matter where you are, what you do and regardless of what you read, please try to sit zazen diligently.

2. Life is our temple! All you do in life, from eating to go and wait in line at the bank, everything is part of our practice. The good and bad... all is part of the same package called life.

3. Please use your name in your signature. Pablo is better than voylinux

Enjoy and gassho,
            Kyonin
            #SatToday
            Hi, Kyonin!

Don't worry, I will not dedicate my sitting time to reading. Practice is practice, I already understand that. But there is something strange and great happening. After so many years of practice I find this other tradition, so different to me ... I want to deepen in that aproach to practice. So rich and at the same time so simple.

About your points:

1. Don't worry. Sitting everyday is the core. I will not stop sitting for reading.

2. You are so right .. and at same time this is sometimes so difficult to rember.

3. I think I have configued it correctly now. I just have to replicate the correct configuration in the mobile app I use to read the forum from my phone.
            Last edited by voylinux; 06-28-2016, 01:56 PM.

Pablo.

Comment

• Ongen
              • Jan 2014

Hi Pablo,

Welcome to Treeleaf You're not the only one who found a home here!

Gassho

Ongen
              Sat Today
              Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Comment

• Kyosei
                • Feb 2012

Hola Pablo

Sea bienvenido amigo!

Abrazo!

Gassho
                _/|\_

Kyōsei

強 Kyō
                声 Sei

Namu kie Butsu, Namu kie Ho, Namu kie So.

Comment

• voylinux
                  • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Marcos
                  Hola Pablo

Sea bienvenido amigo!

Abrazo!

Gassho
                  Muchas gracias Marcos.

Thank you very much, Marcos.

Pablo.

Comment

• derek12261984
                    • May 2016

This is a great threat especially for beginners like myself. Thank you Shingen, it's very much appreciated.

Gassho
                    Derek

Sat today
                    "Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."

Gassho

Derek

Comment

• Meian
                      • Apr 2015

Shingen - I had a vivid dream last night about a set of black mala beads. Long story, but it compelled me to search for this thread again and locate the resources you listed above. Have now screenshot it for future reference - thank you for putting these resource links in one post

Gassho,
                      Kim
                      Sat today

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
                      鏡道 |​ Kyodo (Meian) | "Mirror of the Way"
                      visiting Unsui
                      Nothing I say is a teaching, it's just my own opinion.

Comment

• Meian
                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Ongen
                        Hi Pablo,

Welcome to Treeleaf You're not the only one who found a home here!

Gassho

Ongen
                        Sat Today
                        Yep. Same here

Gassho
                        Kim
                        Sat today
                        Originally posted by Shingen
                        Hello Voylinux,

Well, there is a ton of information if you want to study this tradition. Here are a couple of threads that can provide you with some good Dharma to chew on.

Because our primary practice is Shikantaza, have a look at all these wonderful resources Jundo has put together: http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/forum...IKANTAZA-ZAZEN.

Or maybe you are looking for knowledge in relations to the Buddha and his teachings? Then why not check out http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/forum...-Buddha-Basics and http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/forum...isattva-Basics.

Year after year we study the precepts in more detail during Ango and Jukai ... but if you would like to understand the precepts in more detail, check out http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/forum...yoki-Too%21%29.

Jundo has also put together a great recourse on Zen and Buddhist related materials, here is that list http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...REELEAF-SANGHA.

If you are looking to develop or deepen your practice at home, why not check out the Home Liturgy thread http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...t-home-liturgy.

I hope this gets you going, but please do let us know if you have any additional questions. =)

Gassho
                        Shingen

s@today

鏡道 |​ Kyodo (Meian) | "Mirror of the Way"
                        visiting Unsui
                        Nothing I say is a teaching, it's just my own opinion.

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by allwhowander
                          Shingen - I had a vivid dream last night about a set of black mala beads. Long story, but it compelled me to search for this thread again and locate the resources you listed above. Have now screenshot it for future reference - thank you for putting these resource links in one post

Gassho,
                          Kim
                          Sat today

Awesomesauce ... glad to help! =)

Hey Derek,

You are very welcome, glad it has helped. =)

Originally posted by derek12261984
                          This is a great threat especially for beginners like myself. Thank you Shingen, it's very much appreciated.

Gassho
                          Derek

Sat today
                          Gassho
                          Shingen

s@today

Comment

• Rich
                            • Apr 2009

Pablo, that Treeleaf has helped you deepen your practice is wonderful. Will echo what you and others have said that maintaining a consistent daily practice is very important.

SAT today
                            _/_
                            Rich
                            MUHYO
                            無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Comment

• Matt
                              • Oct 2012

Hi Voylinux,

Glad you found Treeleaf! Thank you for sharing your story.

Gassho,
                              Matt
                              #SatToday

Comment

Working...