Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ishin
    • Jul 2013

A Pain in the Neck

Please don't misconstrue the following as a plea for attention or sympathy.

Two months ago I hurt my shoulder and neck badly, with severe nerve impingement. This not only made working, driving and sleeping difficult, it made sitting near impossible. My respect goes out to those who can sit in chronic pain. I guess I am either a whimp or a poor practitioner, but I simply could not sit. I even tried lying down and "sitting with the pain". Sorry, no go.

Instead I tried to channel my situation into working with the precepts, reading and allowing it to teach me a little about compassion for others.

What I did notice however, is that when we are in pain, rather than sit with it, our inclination is to try to avoid it. I found myself becoming a workaholic at home and work, just trying to keep myself busy doing something, watching TV, playing video games, etc. Anything to distract myself from just sitting with it. And isn't this just a perfect description of what we all do on some level every day; distracting ourselves from just sitting, just being with what is.

What's your neck pain?

What keeps you from just sitting?

Gassho
    Sat Today ( Finally)
    Grateful for your practice
  • Eishuu

When I was very ill with severe ME I mostly focused on the precepts, compassion and chanting rather than meditation partly because I couldn't concentrate at all but also because of the pain. I didn't sit for years. Now, I'm still in chronic pain but it is less than it was and I do sit (or lie) daily. Zazen has really helped me let go of a lot of the mental and emotional reactions to the pain and I think I'm more accepting of it - it's part of my experience. And like you say, pain can teach you a lot...about compassion for others and yourself and about dukkha. I've also tried to make friends with the pain by realising that the pain is my body healing itself...in a way it's my body being compassionate towards itself.

I think at some level having had pain for a long time my body/mind has adjusted somewhat. I think maybe it's more difficult to be suddenly thrown into pain that you''re not used to.

Having said that sometimes I still spend a lot of the rest of the day distracting myself, and I think that's okay. I think it's the mind's way of protecting me from an experience that might be unbearable if I focused on it the whole time.

Anyway, I know you're not asking for sympathy, but I am sorry you are in pain. It sounds like the injury is pretty bad. I don't think you're a whimp at all.

Gassho
    Lucy
    Sat today

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

I am glad that you are a bit better. As we recite in Metta, "May you be healthy, and at ease in all your ills."

All of life is filled with barriers to sitting. The selfish little "self" simply does not wish to sit with what is, demanding instead to sit with what it wants, wishes and demands. For such reason, sitting when one certainly does not wish to sit ... and learning to wish for and allow what is ... is a powerful Practice. More powerful, in fact (although all sittings are lovely and just what they are), than sitting on an ideal day, in perfect peace in a lovely postcard setting.

(Here, by the way, "sit" can mean recline or any position that body may allow due to health). When moaning and rolling around on the floor, that "sitting" is just Buddha moaning and rolling.

Gassho, J

SatToday
      Last edited by Jundo; 06-16-2016, 03:16 AM.
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Mp

Hey Ishin,

Nice to hear from you. =)

Distraction in my view only makes matters worse. Sometimes we may not be able to deal with it at that moment, but coming to terms or understanding with what that is, is important. I feel pain is no different - again each situation is a little different for everyone, but sitting with what is, even pain really is the best approach. Now, just as Jundo has pointed out, sitting may not mean on one's rear end ... there are many ways folks can "sit". Find what works for you so both your body and mind may find a sense of equanimity. =)

Gassho
        Shingen

s@today with a sore knee from too much suwari waza

Comment

• Tai Shi
          • Oct 2014

Elgwyn here (Tai Shi)
          I have chronic pain--that means it is relentless and as it happens it is in the cervical vertebrae. Basically my neck is rotten. I can hardly move my head without tortuous pain--the pain is less in the morning. My doctor is going to kill the nerves coming out of the upper spine, between C 2 and C 4, so that I can get some relief. It is possible the pain will return in 6 months--but the is a long time for me, and the procedure can be repeated. All I can do is practice, and use a variety of meditations. Some designed specifically for pain. I will continue "just sitting," because it is important to me. I must wait until 6-28-16, and I will still suffer unbearable pain until the procedure works which can take up to 3 weeks, but it may only take a few days--we cannot tell what will happen.

Elgwyn
          Tai Shi
          std
          Gassho
          Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

• Jakuden
            • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Ishin

What's your neck pain?

What keeps you from just sitting?
            Originally posted by Jundo

All of life is filled with barriers to sitting. The selfish little "self" simply does not wish to sit with what is, demanding instead to sit with what it wants, wishes and demands. For such reason, sitting when one certain does not wish to sit ... and learning to wish for and allow what is ... is a powerful Practice. More powerful, in fact (although all sittings are lovely and just what they are), than sitting on an ideal day, in perfect peace in a lovely postcard setting.
            Thank you for this, a wonderful question with an excellent answer! Ishin, thank you for the lesson.

Originally posted by Elgwyn
            Elgwyn here (Tai Shi)
            I have chronic pain--that means it is relentless and as it happens it is in the cervical vertebrae. Basically my neck is rotten. I can hardly move my head without tortuous pain--the pain is less in the morning. My doctor is going to kill the nerves coming out of the upper spine, between C 2 and C 4, so that I can get some relief. It is possible the pain will return in 6 months--but the is a long time for me, and the procedure can be repeated. All I can do is practice, and use a variety of meditations. Some designed specifically for pain. I will continue "just sitting," because it is important to me. I must wait until 6-28-16, and I will still suffer unbearable pain until the procedure works which can take up to 3 weeks, but it may only take a few days--we cannot tell what will happen.
            Wow Elgwyn that sounds a little scary, but also very promising... wishing you relief for a long period after the procedure. I will sit for you, Ishin and all beings in chronic pain.

Gassho,
            Jakuden
            SatToday

Comment

• Ishin
              • Jul 2013

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful kind comments.

Elgwyn, my heart goes out to you , and I hope you can find some relief. I am inspired to sit regardless and will continue to find a way to do so even if it means Khinin.

Gassho
              Ishin

Sat Today
              Grateful for your practice

Comment

Working...