• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Announcement: Special Zazenkai SUNDAY JUNE 5th with BRAD WARNER

Dear All,

I am pleased to announce that a most honored guest, my Dharma Brother, a fellow student of Nishijima Roshi, and the bass player of Zero Defex, BRAD WARNER, author of a slew of books such as HARD CORE ZEN, SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP, and his latest and (if you ask me) best yet, DON'T BE A JERK and other Practical Advice from Dogen, Japan's Greatest Zen Master will be offering a very special Zazenkai and Talk next month, on SUNDAY JUNE 5th, LIVE. Please come sit with us and shut up.

DON'T BE A JERK is Brad at his best. Here is my little review at Amazon:

ShoboGONZO

I am pretty impressed and tickled by the whole thing. This book is just a brilliant interpretation. As he says, it is not meant as a line by line rewriting, and more of a quick thumb nail glimpse with a good bit of humor and fairly free interpretation. Nonetheless, Brad manages to convey the heart and sense of each passage. Just wonderful, a takes a kind of genius to pull this off. I think what he has done is just a blast and really funny too, while still being poignant and amazing.

more here ...

A little about Brad for those who don't know ...

HOW TO JOIN OUR ZAZENKAI LIVE:

The festivities will begin at 10am California time Sunday June 5th (that is New York 1pm, London 6pm and Paris 7pm, all on Sunday June, 5th). Our sitting schedule will look like this ... perhaps 30 minutes of Zazen, a Talk by Brad for 30 minutes or so, and some Questions from our participants. I anticipate the the event will be about 90 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the Talk and Q&A.

Of course, the Zazenkai will be recorded and available to sit 'real time' at any time thereafter.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO PARTICIPATE LIVE 'TWO-WAY' BY GOOGLE+ HANGOUT:

I will try to have TWO HANGOUTS going simultaneously on two separate computers and separate wifi routers . If you feel you are a person who would like to attend, are familiar with Google+, and have a reliable computer and good internet connection, please post in this thread that you would like to attend and can commit to attend at that time. (If you have any question on how to sign up for Google+, please PM SHUGEN or SHOKAI and we will do our best to get you up to speed)

We have 8 seats in the main Hangout, and up to 9 seats available in the second Hangout. We will also accept a waiting list of folks in case there is need. I will announce Hangout assignments a day or two before the actual event, and provide further instructions for getting in.

If you wish to sit live, but only One Way instead of Two Way, the Zazenkai will be livecast on Youtube for one way viewing, and I will be accepting Questions for Brad via email during the Zazenkai, if you have. Remember, our way is "Not One Not Two Way!"

It would be great to fill our hangouts and have a big turnout. I NEED AS MANY FOLKS AS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY THOSE FAMILIAR WITH HANGOUTS, WHO CAN COMMIT TO JOIN US LIVE FOR THIS ZAZENKAI! If you are interested and commit can come, please post in this thread. It will be worth your time.

Please make sure you state clearly "have Google+ and hope to sit in Hangout TWO WAY" if so, or ONE WAY. Otherwise I will be confused about who is joining one way.

SO ... please attend, and DON'T BE A JERK!

Gassho, Jundo

Last edited by Jundo; 05-16-2016, 11:46 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • TyZa
    • May 2016

Awesome! I'll definitely be there. Thank you for setting this up.

Gassho,
    Tyler.

Comment

• Jika
      • Jun 2014

For many reasons, I am very, very happy that Brad is doing this (and you made it possible).

People will be queuing, so I'd say I'll be one-way, live.
      I've got the latest book for birthday, but have neither finished it nor cool questions to ask.

Gassho
      Jika
      #sattoday
      治 Ji
      花 Ka

Comment

• Tai Shi
        • Oct 2014

I'd like to go--will give it a shot

Thank you for this.

Taishi
        sat today
        Gassho
        Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

• Mp

Wonderful, wonderful! Thank you Jundo for making this possible ... I will for sure be there live! =)

Gassho
          Shingen

s@today

Comment

• Jundo
            Treeleaf Founder and Priest
            • Apr 2006

Everyone, be sure to confirm "one way" or "two way" if you plan to attend.

Gassho, J

SatToday
            ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Washin
              Treeleaf Unsui
              • Dec 2014

Great! Thank you, Jundo. I intend to participate live, either two or one-way depending on the seat
              provision. I do enjoy reading his latest book now and think I'll finish it by then.

Gassho
              Washin
              sat today
              Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
              Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
              ----
              I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
              and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Comment

• Toun
                • Jan 2013

Thank you Jundo!
                I will participate "one way".

Gassho
                Mike
                Sat today

Comment

• Doshin
                  • May 2015

Jundo,

I will participate one way so others may engage, however if there are empty seats needing a smile I will slide in.

Gassho
                  Doshin
                  sattoday

Comment

• Mp

Opps, sorry about that ... I will two way if seats allow. =)

Gassho
                    Shingen

s@today

Comment

• TyZa
                      • May 2016

I will participate "one way."

Comment

• John Mac
                        • Apr 2016

Hi,

I'll be there -one way watching on You Tube. Looking forward to it!

Gassho,
                        John

Comment

• Ryo Do
                          • Dec 2015

Thanks a lot for making this event possible!
                          Will be there one way (like Doshin, could also make it two ways if there are not enough people, but I'm still not very familiar with Google+ hangouts).

Gassho
                          Ryo Do

Sattoday

Comment

• Geika
                            Treeleaf Unsui
                            • Jan 2010

Hopefully be there one way, but I will probably be working, will know more later.

Gassho, sat today
                            求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
                            I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• Jakugan
                              • Jan 2013

I would be happy to sit one way.

gassho

Jakugan

Sat today

Comment

Working...