X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Mac
    • Apr 2016

Good and bad

Greetings Dear Friends,

I have a simple question, which, admittedly, has been bothering me for a while now. Often, when sitting, I worry that I am not ' doing it right' or that it's ' not any good' and equally sometimes I think ' I'm doing it right' and ' that was a good session'. Recently, I have begun to think that there isn't a good or bad, it's all just sitting, just as it is. I am struggling, somewhat, to accept this view, as my mind won't give up the idea of good and bad even though somewhere deeper is telling me that just sitting, irrespective of what the mind tells me, is perfect, just as it is. I would be grateful if anyone would comment.

Gassho,
    John
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Hello John,

This is my little essay on this topic. Would you look at it and see if it helps?

Right Zazen and Wrong Zazen
    Hi, I BELIEVE THE FOLLOWING TO BE SO VITAL, FOR NEW AND OLD, THAT I AM GOING TO MAKE A SPECIAL REPOST. It is the "there is good Zazen, and bad Zazen ... but never any bad Zazen" post ... _________________________________________________ Hey All, I would like to repost something that I think is important to

There is no "good vs. bad" sitting, and yet there is, and yet "good sitting" involves sitting without thinking "good and bad."

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Jishin
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by John Mac

I have a simple question
      What is your simple question?

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Comment

• Mp

Hello John,

When you sit, just sit ... whether good or bad, just sit. =)

Gassho
        Shingen

s@today

Comment

• John Mac
          • Apr 2016

Hello all,

Thank you for the replies. Jundo, I will have to read your essay several times, but so far I have got the gist. The goalless goal....I hope that I am right in thinking that this quandary of good and bad is at the essence of practice?
          Jishin- point taken!

Gassho,
          John

Comment

• Jakuden
            • Jun 2015

I asked a question once on the thread about setting timers for Zazen; for awhile, I was frequently resetting the timer for more time, because I felt I hadn't done "good" Zazen. Don't know what ideal state I was looking for, but apparently I felt sometimes that I didn't achieve it! With help from Jundo and everyone else here, I have come to accept whatever comes, whether it be blue sky and smooth sailing, or lots of clouds and turbulent waves. When the bell rings, I get up without judging.

Whatever happens during Zazen is just scenery. It does seem like sitting under certain conditions, in perfect quiet during hours of sesshin at a Monastery, for example, can lead to a lot of "blue sky" smooth sailing... whereas Zazen before or after a busy day, or in a noisier environment, results in a more active mind filled with planning and judgements... but really the blue sky is always there behind the clouds, regardless of what the mind is doing.

It sounds like you are already there, just having a little issue with your "small self" that wants to label and judge everything. I don't know if that ever really ends! I think just the awareness of this tendency is a big help, though, because then we can take this awareness out beyond Zazen and see how our small self tries to judge and label everything all the time. The more we learn to let go of judging our Zazen, perhaps the more we learn to at least think twice about all the other judgements we make also.

Gassho,
            Jakuden
            SatToday

Comment

• Joyo

Originally posted by Jakuden
              I asked a question once on the thread about setting timers for Zazen; for awhile, I was frequently resetting the timer for more time, because I felt I hadn't done "good" Zazen. Don't know what ideal state I was looking for, but apparently I felt sometimes that I didn't achieve it!
              Gassho,
              Jakuden
              SatToday
              You too, hey. Sometimes I now make myself sit for only a few min. because it is good for the ego. We always want to practice, practice, practice to get better. That way of thinking doesn't work with zazen.

Gassho,
              Joyo
              sat today

Comment

• John Mac
                • Apr 2016

Hello all,

Thanks Jakuden for the reply, makes perfect sense, the small self is still in action -worrying all the time. Since I have begun practice in earnest, I have become much more aware of the small self in action in my daily life which has led to a much more 'spacious' life.

Gassho,
                John

Comment

• Toun
                  • Jan 2013

I guess we have the tendency to approach the Zafu with our opinions, expectations, judgments, anxieties and worries. These things can also become amplified by our sense world.

Yet once we sit, we can observe the mind and its complicated nature and notice how it fabricates all kinds of thoughts, feelings, fears and emotions. We learn to recognize and acknowledge all of these moments for what they simply are, and then let go. The more we commit ourselves to the act of sitting the more we can become explorers of our own existence and see the true nature of the mind...a crystal clear blue sky.

My only advice is to simply sit and after considering all things... just continue to sit.

Kind regards
                  Gassho
                  Mike

Sat2day

Comment

• Jundo
                    • Apr 2006

Mountains, grasses, stones and walls do not sit thinking "good or bad." They never ask: Am I an "adequate" mountain or am I "walling" right? Nor do they ask where they begin and the world ends.

Only people do that.

Sit as a mountain sitting, sit like a wall.

Master Dogen from Fukanzazengi ...

Put aside all involvements and suspend all affairs. Don’t think about “good” or “bad”. Don’t judge true or false. Your mind, intellect, and consciousness are spinning around – let them have rest. Give up measuring with thoughts, ideas, and views. Have no designs on becoming a Buddha. ... Sitting immovably in the mountain-still state, "Think about this concrete state beyond thinking." "How can the state beyond thinking be thought
                    about?" "It is different from thinking." This is just the pivot of Zazen.

Our way is to think non thinking, beyond "good and bad" yet alive in a world of good and bad.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Comment

• John Mac
                      • Apr 2016

Good Evening friends, again, thank you all for the replies, all of which are appreciated. Jundo, ' am I an adequate mountain'....that nails it for me. I begin to see.

Gassho,
                      John
                      Sat today

Comment

• Byokan
                        Treeleaf Unsui
                        • Apr 2014

Yes, oh beautiful, thank you all for sharing this.

And, can you see... the blue sky... it’s not only behind the clouds. It comes forward AS the clouds.

There’s nothing hiding behind something else. It’s all right here. Look, look! And stop looking. Everything you’re looking for is all the stuff that seems to be in the way. Look again!

Sorry for spouting nonsense!

Gassho
                        Byōkan
                        sat today
                        展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
                        Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Comment

• Jundo
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Byokan

And, can you see... the blue sky... it’s not only behind the clouds. It comes forward AS the clouds.

There’s nothing hiding behind something else. It’s all right here. Look, look! And stop looking. Everything you’re looking for is all the stuff that seems to be in the way. Look again!
                          Yes.

Then those clouds and hindering stuff are yet are not just as before.

Gassho, J

SatTidat

Comment

• Rich
                            • Apr 2009

Giving up the mind is not that easy so maybe just watching it from a distance will do for now.

Sat today
                            _/_
                            Rich
                            MUHYO
                            無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Comment

• Oheso
                              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Byokan
                              Everything you’re looking for is all the stuff that seems to be in the way.

O

who sat today
                              and neither are they otherwise.

Comment

Working...