Buddhism Through Its Scriptures

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jakuden
    • Jun 2015

OK here's a question for regarding "open canon" vs. "closed canon." It seems that we are learning that Mahayana Buddhism has an open canon, the final word has not been said, the final interpretation has not been given. How does that apply to what we learn here at Treeleaf about the way of Soto Zen? Obviously there must be some flexibility in how it is taught, as we here know as fans of Jundo's teaching style. However, Jundo is also clear about what is and what isn't called Soto Zen. How far does the flexibility go?

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Jakuden
      OK here's a question for regarding "open canon" vs. "closed canon." It seems that we are learning that Mahayana Buddhism has an open canon, the final word has not been said, the final interpretation has not been given. How does that apply to what we learn here at Treeleaf about the way of Soto Zen? Obviously there must be some flexibility in how it is taught, as we here know as fans of Jundo's teaching style. However, Jundo is also clear about what is and what isn't called Soto Zen. How far does the flexibility go?

Gassho,
      Jakuden
      SatToday
      How many ways to cook noodles?

There is an "open canon", yet as in any religion, so many people (most?) who say "but my Sutra/Teacher/Practice is the best and ultimate and most authentic". Buddhism, Zen and even Soto Zen/Shikantaza teachers and groups come in a variety of flavors with different emphasis and spicing. I am just one cook, and what comes out of this kitchen may not suit the tastes and nutritional needs of all folks (Gee, I would probably get a lot more "followers" if I threatened folks with eternal damnation unless they followed the ultimate and most authentic words out of my mouth, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I just happen to believe that what we undertake here has to be beneficial and helpful to most folks who do not know how to find by sitting still).

Gassho, J

SatToday
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Kaishin
        • Dec 2010

I just finished the Day 4 lesson. I must say, the presentation is very strange. The professor has an interesting, albeit oblique way of approaching the material. I think I would be totally lost if I were coming in with no prior exposure to Buddhism (and from the comments, it seems like a lot of people are lost).

Interesting, too, in the last section about bringing scriptures into the world, the examples are mostly of--for lack of a better term--evangelical branches of Buddhism, focusing on Nichiren or other devotional approaches. Being so embedded here for so long, it is striking to hear practitioners talk about how they gained material goods, or cured cancer, from devotion to a certain sutra or chant. Almost seems antithetical to our practice here. I must be honest that it is hard for me not to judge these practices as misguided. But I must remember that the way we practice here is seen by many in the same way, as a twisting of Buddhism, heretical even (the old mahayana/hinayana conflict).

-satToday
        Thanks,
        Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
        Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Nindo

That's too bad that people are lost. I haven't come far in this course yet, but I'm really put off by how the professor just stares into the camera and reads a prepared text. I took "Buddhism and Modern Psychology" on coursera, and found it much more engaging.

Gassho
          Nindo

Comment

• Kaishin
            • Dec 2010

p.s. I've since done some searching on other Buddhist-based practices. There are some interesting things out there, to say the least

Thanks,
            Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)

Comment

• Jundo
              Treeleaf Founder and Priest
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Kaishin
              p.s. I've since done some searching on other Buddhist-based practices. There are some interesting things out there, to say the least

http://www.buddhamaitreya.org/Buddha...ya-The-Christ/
              I thought about taking our Sangha in that direction, revealing my true identity and some prophesies. I have decided to stay boring instead.

Gassho, J

SatToday
              ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Kaishin
                • Dec 2010

Ha! Thank you for being boring
                Thanks,
                Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)

Comment

• Byrne
                  • Dec 2014

It's cool to stay boring. It's cool to be fantastical. Buddhism is cool. I didn't come to Buddhism to win the "I'm right" award. I came to it because my life was tough. Some things aren't cool. Abuse ain't cool. I worry most about the stuff that isn't cool.

Gassho

Sat Today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Jakuden
                    • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Kaishin
                    I just finished the Day 4 lesson. I must say, the presentation is very strange. The professor has an interesting, albeit oblique way of approaching the material. I think I would be totally lost if I were coming in with no prior exposure to Buddhism (and from the comments, it seems like a lot of people are lost).

Interesting, too, in the last section about bringing scriptures into the world, the examples are mostly of--for lack of a better term--evangelical branches of Buddhism, focusing on Nichiren or other devotional approaches. Being so embedded here for so long, it is striking to hear practitioners talk about how they gained material goods, or cured cancer, from devotion to a certain sutra or chant. Almost seems antithetical to our practice here. I must be honest that it is hard for me not to judge these practices as misguided. But I must remember that the way we practice here is seen by many in the same way, as a twisting of Buddhism, heretical even (the old mahayana/hinayana conflict).

-satToday
                    Ok I thought it was just me. Admittedly, my education was 8 years of pretty much nothing but hardcore Science, so I figured I just had no clue how a subject like this would be taught. The way you put it as a very "oblique" way of approaching the material is exactly it. They made a big deal about "learning via inferring" vs. learning via observation, so I assumed that was what we were supposed to be doing, but I don't think I am very good at inferring...

Gassho,
                    Jakuden
                    SatToday

Comment

• Nindo

I just got through Day 4. This course has material from very different scriptures all in a wild mix, from the pali canon to more esoteric Mahayana sutras. I have encountered sutras I've never heard of before. For me it is interesting and there are some thought provoking questions, although I am not participating in the forum. I am wondering though whether somebody without any knowledge of Buddhism, or non-theist religion, would get any understanding about the core teachings of Buddhism. If I was a theist and read the texts about Buddha living for millions of years and being worshipped by thousands of spirits, and then saw the videos of people fervently chanting sutras with hands in gassho, I would get the impression that Buddha is a god-figure in Buddhism that people pray to.

There hasn't been anything about morality and ethics yet. Given that many theists in our societies believe that ethical behaviour will only come from fear of god, I think it is very important to introduce the ethical foundations of a non-theist religion. I hope this course will still get there.

Gassho
                      Nindo
                      sattoday

Comment

• Kyonin
                        Treeleaf Priest / Engineer
                        • Oct 2010

Hi Nindo,

I just finished Day 4 as well. I am doing the discussions but not going deep into them. I was wondering about ethics as well, especially after watching the Soka Gakkai video where we can see how they vigorously chant.

So far the course has been an eagle's eye view about scriptures without going too deep into philosophy. For me that's fine, but I wonder if a person new to Buddhism would be confused.

Let's wait and see the rest of the material.

I am enjoying it, though.

Gassho,

Kyonin
                        Hondō Kyōnin
                        奔道 協忍

Comment

• Jakuden
                          • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Nindo
                          I have encountered sutras I've never heard of before. For me it is interesting and there are some thought provoking questions, although I am not participating in the forum.
                          I had never heard of the Sutra of Golden Light:

"There are two things that you want to note in particular.
                          First is that this scripture enters into the world in a dream heard by someone who then recites it in front of the Buddha. That is to say, the Sutra of Golden Light is taught by the Buddha after he heard it from someone else, who in turn had heard it in a dream.
                          Second is that the Sutra emerges from a drum heard within the dream. In ancient India, drums were often beaten in a city to announce that an amnesty had been declared, freeing those who had already been conficted for wrong doing. With this in mind, we can say that Sutra of Golden Light enters into the world like a drum declaring an amnesty for all who hear it"

Interesting stuff! And yes some of the questions are thought provoking, they help to look at things from a different angle that probably wouldn't have occurred to me. My answers are totally lame, but I am using the discussion forum as more or less a placeholder so I know what I have done... I find reading other people's answers more interesting than answering myself as there are so many perspectives.

Gassho
                          Jakuden
                          SatToday

Comment

Working...