Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jakuden
    • Jun 2015

The Practice of Sangha by Thich Nhat Hanh

This wonderful writing by Thich Nhat Hanh came up in my FB feed today! Just had to share. I am so grateful for the opportunity to be part of a Sangha!

Thich Nhat Hanh explains that sangha is more than a community, it’s a deep spiritual practice.

Here is an excerpt:

In my tradition we learn that as individuals we cannot do much. That is why taking refuge in the sangha, taking refuge in the community, is a very strong and important practice. When I say, “I take refuge in the sangha,” it does not mean that I want to express my devotion. No. It’s not a question of devotion; it’s a question of practice. Without being in a sangha, without being supported by a group of friends who are motivated by the same ideal and practice, we cannot go far.

If we do not have a supportive sangha, we may not be getting the kind of support we need for our practice, that we need to nourish our bodhichitta (the strong desire to cultivate love and understanding in ourselves). Sometimes we call it “beginner’s mind.” The mind of a beginner is always very beautiful, very strong. In a good and healthy sangha, there is encouragement for our beginner’s mind, for our bodhichitta. So the sangha is the soil and we are the seed. No matter how beautiful, how vigorous our seed is, if the soil does not provide us with vitality, our seed will die.

And what is the sangha? The sangha is a community of people who agree with each other that if we do not practice right mindfulness, we will lose all the beautiful things in our soul and all around us. People in the sangha standing near us, practicing with us, support us so that we are not pulled away from the present moment. Whenever we find ourselves in a difficult situation, two or three friends in the sangha who are there for us, understanding and helping us, will get us through it. Even in our silent practice we help each other.

We don’t have to bring just joy when we come to the sangha; we can also bring our suffering with us. But we have to walk on the path of joy with our suffering, we have to share joy with our brothers and sisters. Then we will be in touch with the seeds of happiness in ourselves, and the suffering will grow weaker and be transformed. Allow yourself to be supported, to be held by the sangha. When you allow yourself to be in a sangha the way a drop of water allows itself to be in a river, the energy of the sangha can penetrate into you, and transformation and healing will become possible.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday
  • Myosha
    • Mar 2013

Hello,

Thank you for the link.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Comment

• Gukan
      • Nov 2015

Ah that's lovely. Thank you for the link.

Lib, sat today

Comment

• Mp

Lovely, thank you Jakuden. =)

Gassho
        Shingen

#sattoday

Sent from my mobile, cause I am out & about! =)

Comment

• CK732
          • Aug 2015

Jakuden,

Thank you for the link.

Gassho

Nanto Sat2Day

Comment

• Washin
            Treeleaf Unsui
            • Dec 2014

Thank you for the link, Jakuden.
            Gassho
            Washin
            st
            Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
            Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
            ----
            I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
            and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Comment

Working...