Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shoka
    • May 2014

Rakusu Network and Fukudenkai

As we welcome a new group of dharma sisters and brothers, we would like to invite them to join us in continuing sewing practice.

On occasion we have members who would like to take Jukai but are unable to sew a rakusu, in these cases one is sewn for them by another member. If you have already sewn a rakusu please consider joining the Rakusu Network. This is a group of people who if the need arises would volunteer to sew a rakusu for someone else.

How it works:

A few weeks after Jukai is announced, Jundo will let Ongen and myself know if there is any need for a rakusu to be sewn. We will send out an announcement to volunteers who are closest geographically to see if anyone is available to sew at that time. The volunteer will be responsible for sewing along in the rakusu sew-a-long forum and completing the rakusu with all approvals. At the end Jundo will send the panel and bloodline documents to you. Then after attaching panel, you will forward the rakusu to the participant.

In the spirit of faceless giving and receiving you will not know who you are sewing for until the end of the project. Our hope is that we will have people all over the world ready to sew, so that the rakusu won't have to travel as far and won't have expensive postage and long shipping times.

If you would like to join please comment here or PM Ongen or myself.

Additionally in an effort to continue the sewing practice beyond just Ango, we will be continuing regularly scheduled Fukudenkais. Currently there is a session on Tuesdays at 8:30 PM GMT+1 and we will be adding another on Wednesdays, at 6:30 PM PST GMT -8.

Sewing is part of the practice here at Treeleaf, so we hope you will continue.

Don't know what else to sew? What about a case for the rakusu (Here) or a set of Oryoki clothes (Here). Zafu or zabuton, blankets for the homeless shelters. Google and see what useful items you could make with your new skills.

Gassho,

Shoka
    sattoday
  • Geika
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Jan 2010

I really need to sew! The kesa has been a lesson in speedbumps. Sewing with the group sounds lovely. My work schedule seems to be changing every week, but hopefully I can start to overcome my shyness and join some live events around here.

Thank you for the update, Shoka, gassho.

Sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• Mp

This is wonderful Shoka and will participate when I can. =)

Gassho
      Shingen

#sattoday

Comment

• Jakuden
        • Jun 2015

Ah, my first instinct is to jump right in and volunteer, but when I look at my Rakusu, I see all the errors and imperfections and think, who would want a Rakusu with all those crooked stitches and messy chalk lines.... ??

Gassho,
        Sierra
        SatToday

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by Sierra529
          Ah, my first instinct is to jump right in and volunteer, but when I look at my Rakusu, I see all the errors and imperfections and think, who would want a Rakusu with all those crooked stitches and messy chalk lines.... ??

Gassho,
          Sierra
          SatToday
          Perfectly imperfect, sounds perfect to me. =)

Gassho
          Shingen

#sattoday

Comment

• Sekishi
            Treeleaf Priest
            • Apr 2013

You walked right into that one Sierra! ^_^

Gassho,
            Sekishi
            Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by Sekishi

Gassho,
              Sekishi
              =) *hehehe*

Gassho
              Shingen

#sattoday

Comment

• Shoka
                • May 2014

Originally posted by Sierra529

Gassho,
                Sierra
                SatToday
                Sierra,

I did a rakusu with white thread and continually thought, "OMG! I have to tear those out." I probably redid enough stitches on that one to make another rakusu. But the process taught me an important lesson.

I had a running coach who always said, "don't sign-up or rule out doing a marathon right after you have finished one." He said it took time after finishing something like that before deciding to do another.

See how you feel in a couples weeks. We'll still be here sewing.

Gassho,
                Shoka

sattoday

Comment

• Nindo

I would like to be a volunteer on stand by. My fingers were itching during this ango.

Gassho
                  Nindo
                  sattoday

Comment

• Jakuden
                    • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Sekishi

Gassho,
                    Sekishi
                    Ya I sure did! lol

Originally posted by Shoka
                    Sierra,

I did a rakusu with white thread and continually thought, "OMG! I have to tear those out." I probably redid enough stitches on that one to make another rakusu. But the process taught me an important lesson.

I had a running coach who always said, "don't sign-up or rule out doing a marathon right after you have finished one." He said it took time after finishing something like that before deciding to do another.

See how you feel in a couples weeks. We'll still be here sewing.

Gassho,
                    Shoka

sattoday
                    Good advice. In the meantime, Dosho lives just down the road from me, relatively speaking, so he would be a much better choice anyway

Gassho,
                    Sierra
                    SatToday

Comment

• Byokan
                      Treeleaf Unsui
                      • Apr 2014

Awesome, Shoka!

Please add my name for volunteer rakusu sewing. I'd be really happy to sew for someone.

Gassho
                      Lisa
                      sat today
                      展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
                      Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Comment

• Washin
                        Treeleaf Unsui
                        • Dec 2014

Great idea, Shoka.

I'd like to be a Rakusu sewing volunteer in the area of need.
                        Never knew I might turn out to be an able sewer and could even like the whole thing.
                        I'll be happy to sew for other members.

Gassho
                        Sergey
                        sat-today
                        Last edited by Washin; 01-11-2016, 07:16 AM.
                        Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
                        Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
                        ----
                        I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
                        and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Comment

• Washin
                          Treeleaf Unsui
                          • Dec 2014

In the meantime I'm near to finish with my Oryoki clothes
                          Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
                          Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
                          ----
                          I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
                          and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Comment

• Ongen
                            • Jan 2014

Great to see enthousiastic reactions
                            Thank you all!

Ongen

Sat Today
                            Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Comment

• Jika
                              • Jun 2014

but when I look at my Rakusu, I see all the errors and imperfections and think, who would want a Rakusu with all those crooked stitches and messy chalk lines.... ??
                              I can relate - I used to work on a second rakusu during Tuesday Fukudenkai, a twin to the first one, and I am full of self-criticism.

The Jukai rakusu I received from Jundo has imperfections, but I love it as it is.

But sewing for another person feels more difficult. Good practice

Please add me for my area or wherever needed.

Gassho,
                              Jika / Danny
                              治 Ji
                              花 Ka

Comment

Working...