Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jishin
    • Oct 2012

Hey crazy talk,

Form is emptiness and emptiness is form. Sure. But I still need to shit somewhere.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Comment

• Byokan
      Treeleaf Unsui
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Jishin
      Hey crazy talk,

Form is emptiness and emptiness is form. Sure. But I still need to shit somewhere.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
      Do it with a smile, my friend.

54c75067b01c0.jpg

Gassho
      Lisa
      sat today
      展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
      Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Comment

• Jishin
        • Oct 2012

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Comment

• Ryan379
          • Oct 2015

Perhaps a toilet is just a toilet, crapping is just crapping and bowing is just bowing, with no significance other than what we project onto them?

As Jishin says; we all need somewhere to crap. Rather the toilet than the sofa!

Gassho

Ryan

Sat Today
          Breathe...Relax...Let Go...

Comment

• Byokan
            Treeleaf Unsui
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Kairu
            ...I have been contemplating putting every fiber of my being Into the practice, but have been hesitant because I don't know if its necessary or not. Even today I bowed to a toilet I was about to clean at work, but almost felt as though I shouldn't have to because "I'm just a layman".

I have met some Buddhists in my lifetime who live as though their home is a monestary, and I have met those who treat the practice casually (but not without seriousness).

What is the way way? I'd sure like to....
            Hi Kyle,

I got all ecstatic about the potty and forgot what I originally wanted to say in response to your question. Just this: practice your own practice. Sit your own sit. Live your own life. No two people ever walked through the same dharma gate.

You're asking what is necessary? Necessary for what? To get to... enlightenment, or Buddhahood, or nirvana, or some other spiritual destination or state? In fact, you cannot go to IT, no matter how hard you try. IT is already here, and expressing ITself through/as you. All Buddhism does is help us remove obstacles and impediments to let IT flow freely, naturally. If monastic life helps you to remove obstacles, then live monastically. If practicing in the “normal” world helps you to remove obstacles, then practice in the “normal” world. Neither is better, and each is right in its own time. Living gently, cultivating awareness and compassion, walking the Eightfold Path, practicing the Precepts, wherever and however you live, are all ways to remove obstacles. Doing these things, your life and your actions will come to express the Buddha/Dharma/Truth more authentically, more appropriately. Your actions, and “every fiber of your being,” will align with your true Buddha nature.

Ok, um, actually, there aren’t really any obstacles. But we have to realize this, once, again, and 10,000 times.

Or not. I don’t know anything, this is just my current understanding; hopefully you will find something useful in it.

Gassho
            Lisa
            sat today

p.s. Ryan, yes I agree, the toilet, the zafu, and the sofa are all the same, and yet, should never be confused. Crap happy!
            展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
            Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Comment

• Jundo
              Treeleaf Founder and Priest
              • Apr 2006

Lovely. A lot of wisdom on this bathroom wall.

Gassho, J

** Although images like that can get you in trouble in some places. Buddhism comes in many beautiful varieties, suited to varied practitioners. Chan/Zen folks always tended to be respectful and irreverent at once, finding the Sacred which shines through both sacred and irreverent.

Buddha Toilet In France Causes International Fracas

A small hotel in the Burgundy region of eastern France did what legions of Pier 1 and World Market shoppers have done and used the image of Buddha for decorating purposes, devoting one of its individually themed rooms to the spiritual figure. And they found out that the motif isn’t so innocent when an embassy contacted the management to complain, according to the International Herald Tribune. The biggest problem was that Moulin de Broaille, the hotel, extended the image to the room’s toilet seat, a placement that is offensive to many Buddhists. A Bangkok newspaper reported that followers in Thailand were “enraged” and wanted Buddha dethroned. The French embassy in Bangkok and Thailand’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs became involved after ...
              Last edited by Jundo; 11-27-2015, 01:45 AM.
              ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Jishin
                • Oct 2012

His hair looks like a bunch of little turds.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Comment

• Geika
                  Treeleaf Unsui
                  • Jan 2010

I see no reason why not to live in monastery or retreat-like fashion, walking in shashu around the house, bowing, wearing the rakusu, chanting, etc. I also don't do that sometimes. It's usually when I am alone or doing housework, but I try to wear the robe even if not wearing it.

Gassho, sat today
                  求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
                  I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

Working...