Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

I remember on time when I Gassho'd to a fellow Buddhist in a public setting, and a person who saw us asked me if I was "praying to Jesus" and asked if he could join us (I forget the rest of the circumstance). I believe I said something like, "No, we are Buddhists and that is a way of greetings and respect in Buddhist countries. However, we would be happy to pray to Jesus with you." So, as I remember, we all did.

Do not be surprised if folks in America and elsewhere assume your Gasshos are Christian prayers of some sort. I think it makes little matter if thinks so or what you think, for it is all Expedient Means to express what you wish to express, and the thanks and blessings flow all around.

Gassho, J

SatToday

ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Ongen
      • Jan 2014

What a wonderful question

I also gassho 'in my head' like Shingen. Right after Sesshin though when I'm used to gassho-ing all the time I sometimes, unthinkingly (is that a word?), do it 'out loud' . Usually people smile, and lately I do it on purpose now and then, and like in Jundo's and Kyonin's experience, to my surprise people do gassho back now and then with a funny smile. Somehow gasshoing out-loud i feel communicates something extra, more heartfelt than the usual 'have a nice day' to the cashier at the grocery store.

Gassho!

Ongen
      Sat Today
      Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Comment

• Risho
        • May 2010

Ha, this is good timing. Last night we went to dinner at a local Japanese steakhouse where they do all the tricks with cooking. I love it! This is an annual tradition where we go for my and my sister in law's birthday; at the end they hit a portable, hanging metal drum (I don't know what it's called). They give us paper chef's hats and sing happy birthday to us in English and Japanese. At the end I gassho'd -- it was great! hahah

Gassho,

Risho
        -sattoday
        Email: risho.treeleaf@gmail.com

Comment

• Ryan379
          • Oct 2015

Thank you everyone for reading and replying
          I use it a lot at work, especially with colleagues. I've occasionly added a (half jokingly) namaste, and funnily enough it's started to catch on! A few of my work mates have started giving me a gassho back and a namaste! So in that respect I feel it's broken down a lot of feeling self-conscious about the practice and makes it a bit more fun as well

I've also found it encourages me to be more courteous and mindful about how I interact with others if I give them a gassho as I say hello (or namaste ), thank you, goodbye etc. especially if I find myself feeling impatient or irritated by the individual (and working as a carer for 34 individuals with dementia impatience, stress and irritation do, unfortunately, arise from time to time), so I'm definitely finding it a beneficial practice so far

Gassho

Ryan

Sat Today
          Last edited by Ryan379; 11-01-2015, 12:11 PM.
          Breathe...Relax...Let Go...

Comment

• Entai
            • Jan 2013

I try to gassho in my mind during the day. I also have something I do at the end of the day where I give a full prostration bow to three things or people who seemed challenging or difficult during the day. I find that throughout the day, when I come across a difficult person or situation, I think to myself, "this is going to be one of my 3 for the day". I do a mental bow at that moment and see what else the day brings.

Gassho, Entai
            #SatToday

泰 Entai (Bill)
            "this is not a dress rehearsal"

Comment

• Ryan379
              • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Entai
              I try to gassho in my mind during the day. I also have something I do at the end of the day where I give a full prostration bow to three things or people who seemed challenging or difficult during the day. I find that throughout the day, when I come across a difficult person or situation, I think to myself, "this is going to be one of my 3 for the day". I do a mental bow at that moment and see what else the day brings.
              I like the idea of the prostrations to difficult or challenging people don circumstances, might be something I try working with

Thanks everyone again

Gassho

Ryan

#SatToday
              Breathe...Relax...Let Go...

Comment

Working...