Risho
    -sattoday
    Email: risho.treeleaf@gmail.com

Comment

• Byokan
      Treeleaf Unsui
      • Apr 2014

Shinzan,

wow. Everything you just said is golden. Thank you so much for this. I will try to remember this forever.

Right now I am writing "stay" on a piece of paper and putting it in my pocket. Sounds silly, but.

Gassho
      Lisa
      sat today

p.s. Jundo tells me sit, you tell me stay... if a dog can do it maybe I can too Come to think of it, dogs don't tell stories, either. hmmm....
      展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
      Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Comment

• Shinzan
        • Nov 2013

Thanks, Kokuu, for the Hirshfield poem. Sweet and sour......
        _/st\_ Shinzan

Comment

• Ongen
          • Jan 2014

Beautiful writing, beautiful words and thoughts. Kokuu, Lisa, Shinzan, Jundo, Rich, Kyonin, Martyn,

It's all true.

Gassho

Ongen
          Sat Today
          Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Comment

• Kaishin
            • Dec 2010

So, home a few days after surgery and been thinking a lot about your post. Perhaps I've been lucky in my life, but this pain is the worst I've ever had and I'm very grateful for modern pain relievers. If I have a choice, I would most assuredly choose to go out in comfort. Jundo and I spoke the night before my surgery, and he said that this practice won't help with the pain and the worry and the fear at all. Also, this practice will help completely with the pain and the worry and the fear. The Buddha's tear cradled by his upturned smile. I can glimpse that, though it can't really be put into words.

Wanted to also highlight something from your blog post:
            She is practical on balancing the need for practice with using modern media as a respite from a world of pain and struggle.
            -- I will say that I've been watching tons of stand-up/sketch comedy shows and movies, and this is very beneficial. Humor is strong medicine (even though it hurts to laugh right now!) We are lucky to have such access to these modern media so readily (they must be used properly, like anything of course). Comedians are great healers.

Sorry for the jumble of thoughts.

-sat(lay)Today
            Thanks,
            Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
            Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Joyo

Originally posted by Kaishin
              Wanted to also highlight something from your blog post: -- I will say that I've been watching tons of stand-up/sketch comedy shows and movies, and this is very beneficial. Humor is strong medicine (even though it hurts to laugh right now!) We are lucky to have such access to these modern media so readily (they must be used properly, like anything of course). Comedians are great healers.

Sorry for the jumble of thoughts.

-sat(lay)Today

Kaishin, thank you for this, did I ever need to hear it!! I mentioned in another thread here, I have pneumonia. I have been sick for 2 weeks, have been in bed most of that time. I've been too sick to read, knit, or journal. I have to admit, I have not used some of my time wisely. My mind always gravitates to dark things, watching serious documentaries, reading sad news stories etc. Even reading the comments on yahoo news......omg, they are terrible!! I have also spent time listening to Jundo's videos, but I need to focus more on doing this, and other positive things. So today, I will start fresh, and be more mindful and aware of what I am putting into my mind.

If you have any comedy recommendations, feel free to let me know. This is heading into unchartered territory for me, a comedy? I'm not sure I know what that is lol!! =)

And, glad to hear you are on this side of surgery. It should only get better from here =)

Gassho,
              Joyo
              sat today

Comment

• Jinyo
                • Jan 2012

Hope the pain eases soon Kaishin

Gassho

Willow

Sat today

Comment

• Jinyo
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Joyo
                  Kaishin, thank you for this, did I ever need to hear it!! I mentioned in another thread here, I have pneumonia. I have been sick for 2 weeks, have been in bed most of that time. I've been too sick to read, knit, or journal. I have to admit, I have not used some of my time wisely. My mind always gravitates to dark things, watching serious documentaries, reading sad news stories etc. Even reading the comments on yahoo news......omg, they are terrible!! I have also spent time listening to Jundo's videos, but I need to focus more on doing this, and other positive things. So today, I will start fresh, and be more mindful and aware of what I am putting into my mind.

If you have any comedy recommendations, feel free to let me know. This is heading into unchartered territory for me, a comedy? I'm not sure I know what that is lol!! =)

And, glad to hear you are on this side of surgery. It should only get better from here =)

Gassho,
                  Joyo
                  sat today
                  So sorry you are ill Joyo - comedy wise The Big Bang Theory cheers me up every time

Gassho

Willow

Comment

• Myosha
                    • Mar 2013

Hello,

" . . . any comedy recommendations . . ."?

Jim Gaffigan - currently the funniest, family comedian around. ( Google-video, Youtube, the usual suspects )

Be better!

Gassho
                    Myosha sat today
                    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Comment

• Rich
                      • Apr 2009

A man went to a ranch to buy a horse, pointed at one and said "My that's a beautiful pony there, what kind is it?"
                      "That's a palomino said the rancher."
                      "Well, I'd like to buy that pony 🐎" said the man.

"I gotta tell you" said the rancher "it was owned by a preacher man. If you want the horse to move you say Good Lord. If you want the horse to stop you gotta say Amen."
                      "Let me try that horse" said the buyer.
                      He mounted and said "Good Lord"
                      The horse promptly moved out and was galloping up the mountains. The man was yelling, Good Lord, Good Lord and the horse ran faster and faster.
                      _/_
                      Rich
                      MUHYO
                      無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Comment

• Kaishin
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Myosha
                        Hello,

" . . . any comedy recommendations . . ."?

Jim Gaffigan - currently the funniest, family comedian around. ( Google-video, Youtube, the usual suspects )

Be better!

Gassho
                        Myosha sat today
                        I'll second that--very funny, and a real rarity these days in that his comedy is very "clean". Louis CK is another favorite, but he is completely dark and filthy Obviously everyone's tastes are different, but I can almost always find something I like looking through Comedy Central's site/YouTube for stand-up comics or sketch shows.

I know what you mean about getting sucked into "the darkness"--it's easy to do, so I try to avoid that stuff completely.
                        Thanks,
                        Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
                        Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Rich
                          • Apr 2009

Suddenly he came to the edge of a cliff and yelled, Whoa, whoa.
                          That didn't work and he remembers and yelled AMEN. The horse stopped right at the edge of the cliff.
                          And wiping his brow with relief the man said "Good Lord!"

😊
                          SAT today
                          _/_
                          Rich
                          MUHYO

Comment

• Rich
                            • Apr 2009

Ok, the first one got broken up so maybe the punch line doesn't work ??

Here's a short one.

A young lady went to her priest for advice. She said to the priest 'Should I marry a fellow who lies to me'
                            'Yes, unless you want to remain unmarried forever ' said the priest.

SAT today
                            _/_
                            Rich
                            MUHYO

Comment

• Jakugan
                              • Jan 2013

I have to say that Kokuu's blog resonated with me. I don't have an illness but my wife has a chronic condition for which she has been hospitalised more than once and on many occasions the doctor didn't know what they could do to help her. Watching her go through severe pain, sometimes screaming for hours on end in the worst times brought me to the edge and all I could do was sit there, sometimes crying, other times arguing as the stress became too much for both of us and I felt guilty for letting these emotions get the better of me.
                              But then Jundo's comments remind me to not fight the suffering but be with it. I think it feels habitual to resist these feelings and in a desperate attempt to reject them they become worse and overbearing. Sitting doesn't make these things go away but it helps me to see the sunlight shining through the cracks when times are bad. Thanks for sharing.

Gassho,

Simon,

Sat today

Comment

Working...