Sitting zazen in a chair

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yugen

Joyo,
    I have no conception of pain of that type ...... I could never imagine. Have you seen the video clip hat was going round a year or so ago, where a couple of husbands had e - stim belts put around their waists and increasingly powerful muscular contractions were induced to simulate labor? They were incapacitated with pain.... And it wasn't even back labor......

My wife had 48 hours of back labor with our first son and (before she met me) she was a professional ballerina with Russian teachers - this woman knows more about pain than I ever will!

Puts it all in perspective - nine bows to you!

Yugen

sat2day

Comment

• Joyo

Yugen, your poor wife. I know so well the pain she went through. I have never seen that video. I would never recommend anyone wearing one of those, ouchie!!!!

Gassho,
      Joyo
      sat today

Comment

• Mài
        • Aug 2014

I also have knee problems and had a replacement about two years ago. I have been sitting for some time now in a chair, but on my zafu: I put it on the edge of the chair. With my feet on the floor I have a stable tripod and have no problem with my old back or knees sitting for an hour or so. The mind of course is another issue.

sat today
        Gassho
        Mai

Comment

• Kakunen

Hai! Joyo-san!

Always thank you! I am Mr K! Sorry ,, I can not write English well!!

When we sit Zazen,I think that important thing is make a sacrum straight.
          When you feel fine at such way of sitting,maybe that is right way of sitting.

In Antaiji some people at injure,they sit in a chair!

Comment

• KellyRok
            • Jul 2008

Hi Joyo and all,

I do sit in a chair sometimes as well. I don't find it changes my zazen in any negative manner, it just ensures my spine won't dislike me as much when I get up . When I first started sitting, I would sit Burmese, but after pulling my spine out of place multiple times I needed to find a better solution. Because of the curve in my lower lumber region, I'm already badly unbalanced.

So now, I sit seiza on a high mountain seat or I sit on my exercise ball. Have you tried that? I find it is great for keeping your balance without putting unnecessary strain on your back or knees. Because it forces you to use your core to stay balanced, you won't have trouble with falling asleep and it keeps your sacrum straight.

I hope you can find some relief.

Gassho,

Kelly/Jinmei
            sattoday

Comment

• Kaishin
              • Dec 2010

I'll second Kelly's recommendation for seiza. I turn a big zafu on its edge to sit on. But here's the key for me--I keep my lower legs on a zabuton, BUT I let my feet hang off the edge. This takes all the pressure off the ankles. Pretty much every position causes me a different sort of pain, so I rotate among several different kinds.

Hope you find some comfort!

-satToday
              Thanks,
              Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
              Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Getchi
                • May 2015

Thankyou all for the tips, my wife has cmpacted disc in her spine and I have a pretty ruined knee joint, so im grateful for the ideas here

Im also comforted that the idea for Treeleaf is living so well - a Zendo for all who may be to injured or far from formal sitting groups. Wonderful!

I do recommed seiza chairs personally, though im managing to sit on a cushion half lotus on a few sheepskins, which is nice too!

Gassho
                Geoff
                SatToday
                Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Comment

• chankin
                  • Jul 2015

I do my sitting in a wheelchair. I had my leg off a couple of years ago. As long as I keep my back straight and unsupported it works well.
                  Colin

sat today
                  Last edited by chankin; 08-10-2015, 12:46 PM. Reason: I forgot to say" sat today"

Comment

• Joyo

Originally posted by chankin
                    I do my sitting in a wheelchair. I had my leg off a couple of years ago. As long as I keep my back straight and unsupported it works well.
                    Colin

sat today
                    Thank you, Colin. You're dedication is a true inspiration to me.

Well, I'll be honest, for anyone here who could benefit from my experience...my back is so bad I've even found sitting in a chair for extended periods of time difficult. I read through Jundo's post that gave instructions on how to sit with a chair. I used my zafu to support my lower back while I kept my spine straight....and....I was in a lot of pain after sitting through part of zazenkai this past week. So, what I do (which is not the traditional way to sit at all) is to sit on my bed, with my zafu supporting my lower back, my legs are in Burmese, and I still straighten my back. So far, this has been the best. Hope this helps anyone, if they need it.

Gassho,
                    Joyo
                    sat today

Comment

• broahes
                      • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Joyo
                      Thank you, Colin. You're dedication is a true inspiration to me.

Well, I'll be honest, for anyone here who could benefit from my experience...my back is so bad I've even found sitting in a chair for extended periods of time difficult. I read through Jundo's post that gave instructions on how to sit with a chair. I used my zafu to support my lower back while I kept my spine straight....and....I was in a lot of pain after sitting through part of zazenkai this past week. So, what I do (which is not the traditional way to sit at all) is to sit on my bed, with my zafu supporting my lower back, my legs are in Burmese, and I still straighten my back. So far, this has been the best. Hope this helps anyone, if they need it.

Gassho,
                      Joyo
                      sat today
                      Have you ever tried rotating between sitting and laying vs just sitting. I have a friend with a bad back.. He alternates sitting, standing, and laying.. according to how he feels. He has cut his sessions in half but has twice as many sessions.. Still getting in the same amount of time per day. Just a thought. Is this a permanent situation or something you will be dealing with for a long time to come?

Much healing metta and peace your way Joyo.

Gassho,
                      Brooks sat today.
                      "The victorious ones have said that emptiness is the relinquishing of all views. For whomever emptiness is a view, that one has achieved nothing." - Nagarjuna

Comment

• Joyo

Originally posted by broahes
                        Have you ever tried rotating between sitting and laying vs just sitting. I have a friend with a bad back.. He alternates sitting, standing, and laying.. according to how he feels. He has cut his sessions in half but has twice as many sessions.. Still getting in the same amount of time per day. Just a thought. Is this a permanent situation or something you will be dealing with for a long time to come?

Much healing metta and peace your way Joyo.

Gassho,
                        Brooks sat today.
                        Thank you, Brooks, I think I will try your suggestion. I've never thought of alternating, but I do find that being in any position for longer than about 15 min gets uncomfortable.

I don't know if it will always be this bad, but it is long term issue. I had a couple of bad falls off a horse when I was younger, and then I was pregnant with a huge baby 10 years ago and there were complications in labour etc. etc. and my back has never been the same since. I'm getting treatments now from 2 different types of massage therapists, and I've changed my yoga to gentle workouts only so I'm hoping this will provide some relief long-term.

Thank you for your post. Really appreciate it!!

Gassho,
                        Joyo
                        sat today

Comment

• Seishin the Elder
                          • Oct 2009

What Jundo said......don't fetishize your Zazen practice. It can be done just as "really" on a zafu, on a bench, in a chair, a barcalounger, an Adirondack chair on a porch overlooking a lake (Mmmmmm)....just sit, ....or even walk (Kin Hin) is good too.

Gassho,

Seishin/Kyrill

Comment

Working...