X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

A Story by Yugen

Our Priest in training Yugen just told me a story about something he did to help someone in need. He did not want to write about it, as he felt it perfectly natural and not something he wanted to be seen taking any credit for. I told him that I wanted him to write about it, maybe to inspire others.

I will hold this thread for him until he can get something written (he is sick with the flu today).

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

I have had to really push Yugen to say even the following, as he thinks of it as just what any human being should do. The only reason he is letting me mention it is because I insisted that it might inspire someone else in a like situation. I will just add to his message below that the person was in shockingly bad and broken physical shape such that many folks might have wanted to look away from the terrible scene (Yugen was one of the first on the scene, way before the police and ambulance, and other folks were standing in shock), and Yugen took action and certainly saved the person's life (he has heard they are pulling through). I am going to leave this thread locked as Yugen really is not looking for any messages of praise.

------------------

Hi Jundo,
    I really don't want to write about this - it's not about getting credit or recognition. I was lucky to be in a place where I could help - I was fortunate to be given this opportunity. What I would like to do is simply say "being present at the scene of a road accident and rendering assistance made me mindful that there are very real and immediate things we can do to alleviate the suffering of others - it's as simple as taking a CPR or first aid course - working a suicide hotline - serving hot meals in a community meal program - sitting down next to some one who is sitting on the curb with their head in their hands -

As I worked with the injured person I could not avoid getting their blood on me - I did not have sterile gloves and the EMTs had not arrived - my first aid kit normally in the car was at home being replenished - I am amazed and grateful at the clarity and calmness I felt, the presence to do the right thing and not be shocked by the sight before me. And when the EMTs cleaned me up, and warned me of the hazards of exposure to bodily fluids, all I could think of was that this person's blood was my blood, and that there was no separation between us. It was a risk I took and I would do it again in similarly urgent circumstances.

It wasn't til I got home that my hands shook and I cried silently. Life and death on a beautiful summer afternoon when the shadows lengthen

This really really is not about me and I don't want to be the focus. What is relevant for me is I have never felt more urgently the call to relieve suffering in a real and immediate way.

Deep bows
    Yugen

PS - note to self - carry gloves in car
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-28-2015, 03:50 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

Working...