A ReMINDer from Jundo on Zazen ... "In the Zoneless Zone"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heisoku
    • Jun 2010

I find the same Joyo. A day without zazen just doesn't sit right, but at least when I don't sit these days when I am ill, for example, something of zazen is there. A wholeness of nothing that let's things just be...difficult to express but it's like the silence that befalls an empty room and the room becomes.
    Gassho Heisoku
    #Coughingtoday.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Comment

• Kyonin
      Treeleaf Priest / Engineer
      • Oct 2010

Hi guys,

I admit that back in the day as a teenager I began experimenting with guided meditations because I wanted to be different, to hack the mind in order to either become a Jedi or a better student. Neither happened.

Over the years I've learned and verified once and again that the more I seek, the less I find. It doesn't matter if it's answers, enlightenment or peace.

A few years back I just started to sit and to drop everything. I became a witness of the torrent of thoughts, rather then the main character in them. Granted, sometimes it's not easy not to engage, but I just sit to morph into life.

Sometimes my sessions are peaceful and time just goes away. Sometimes I worries come to me. Sometimes the neighbor's baby is too noisy.

But it's all life, all in the same deck of cards.

I now just sit dropping all expectations.

Gassho,

Kyonin
      #SatToday
      Hondō Kyōnin
      奔道 協忍

Comment

• Joyo

Thanks Kyonin and Heisoku, interesting thoughts, lots to learn from what you had to say. Lots to learn and non-learn that is

Dropping all expectations has been my biggest challenge. When I started my spiritual path, I had a certain amount of expectations. Also, my childhood religion was works-driven. So it's felt backwards, almost like learning to write with my right hand (I am left) to practice a path with no expectations.

I have to say, this whole thread has been wonderful to read!! Thanks everyone.

Gassho,
        Joyo
        sat today (with a racing mind, and in the midst of it all, there was the silence that befalls an empty room)

Comment

• Jakugan
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Joyo
          Thanks Kyonin and Heisoku, interesting thoughts, lots to learn from what you had to say. Lots to learn and non-learn that is

Dropping all expectations has been my biggest challenge. When I started my spiritual path, I had a certain amount of expectations. Also, my childhood religion was works-driven. So it's felt backwards, almost like learning to write with my right hand (I am left) to practice a path with no expectations.

I have to say, this whole thread has been wonderful to read!! Thanks everyone.

Gassho,
          Joyo
          sat today (with a racing mind, and in the midst of it all, there was the silence that befalls an empty room)
          I'd have to say dropping expectations has been a big challenge for me too. All my life before seems to have been centered around expectations, wanting more or less. Last night I caught my mind fighting internally with myself as I sat and I could physically feel the tension. But when I remembered to just let go the struggle just went away. It is illuminating for me to realise how many of my problems are self imposed. Thanks for sharing.

Gassho,

Simon

Sat today

Comment

• Rich
            • Apr 2009

This moment is complete as it is.

Sat today
            _/_
            Rich
            MUHYO
            無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Comment

• Jundo
              Treeleaf Founder and Priest
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Joyo

Dropping all expectations has been my biggest challenge.
              And by dropping all expectations and craving to "find something", we thus truly Find the Jewel. "Dropping all expectations" is insufficient if it means merely dropping all hope, all drive, and just giving up. The True "Dropping All Expectations" is the total satisfaction of "nothing more in need to find".

Funny how that works.

Originally posted by Rich
              This moment is complete as it is.
              Yet most people do not realize how Complete this moment truly is, and thus are trapped in lack and incompleteness (and all the greed, anger and ignorance that goes with it). Saying "life is complete as it is" is not so if by that one means that "greed, anger and ignorance" are fine as they are. Only by dropping and seeing through the greed, anger and ignorance does one first really realize the true meaning of "This moment is Complete as it is".

Funny how that works.

Gassho, J

SatToday
              Last edited by Jundo; 05-04-2015, 12:58 AM.
              ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Joyo

I get that, Jundo. I really do. Thank you

Gassho,
                Joyo
                sat today

Comment

• Troy
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Jundo
                  And by dropping all expectations and craving to "find something", we thus truly Find the Jewel. "Dropping all expectations" is insufficient if it means merely dropping all hope, all drive, and just giving up. The True "Dropping All Expectations" is the total satisfaction of "nothing more in need to find".

Funny how that works.

Yet most people do not realize how Complete this moment truly is, and thus are trapped in lack and incompleteness (and all the greed, anger and ignorance that goes with it). Saying "life is complete as it is" is not so if by that one means that "greed, anger and ignorance" are fine as they are. Only by dropping and seeing through the greed, anger and ignorance does one first really realize the true meaning of "This moment is Complete as it is".

Funny how that works.

Gassho, J

SatToday
                  Thank you Jundo

..sat2day•

Comment

• Rich
                    • Apr 2009

Which came first - seeing this moment complete as it is or seeing through the greed anger and ignorance. 😊

Sat today
                    _/_
                    Rich
                    MUHYO

Comment

• Myosha
                      • Mar 2013

Yes

Gassho
                      Myosha sat today
                      "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Comment

• Risho
                        • May 2010

Thank you Jundo!

Gassho,

Risho
                        -sattoday
                        Email: risho.treeleaf@gmail.com

Comment

• Theophan
                          • Nov 2014

Thank You Jundo

Gassho
                          Theophan
                          Sat Today

Comment

• michaeljc
                            • May 2011

Originally posted by shikantazen
                            Nice words, but words are just words. If results/progress doesn't happen these words are not going to help. You have to be cut for this spiritual stuff (not just Zen, but any kind of meditation). For some people (like me), it simply doesn't work. I have spent years with this meditation stuff and my life hasn't changed. I should be a man and leave all this. But am not able to. Afraid to let go of this crutch even though it is good for nothing (not Sawaki's "good for nothing", really good for nothing).

Gassho,
                            Sam
                            Sat Today
                            I have only just come across this post. I find the varying influence of Zazen interesting. I am often in the situation where 'lay' people ask me about my practice and have no real benchmark on how it may affect them. It is too easy to expect that Zazen will influence them as it does myself. There is danger in this. One is only left with the advice to try and to form their own conclusions.

m

Sat 2-day
                            Last edited by michaeljc; 05-08-2015, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• Rich
                              • Apr 2009

Well, it may not work but it's the most real and authentic thing to do.

Sat today
                              _/_
                              Rich
                              MUHYO

Comment

• shikantazen
                                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Rich
                                Well, it may not work but it's the most real and authentic thing to do.

Sat today
                                Well put. Gassho, Sat2Day

Comment

Working...