X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Bids
    I don’t know where exactly I picked it up but over the years I heard/read different sources claiming 20 minutes as being the time needed for certain changes to happen in the brain - I think thats about calming, quieting, lowering anxiety levels and the like which I realize is not what we seek/non-seek in shikantaza, but well, sought after or not it seems there are actual neurological changes in that length of sitting time.
    These days I sit mornings and evenings 30mins, more that that just becomes torture due to painfully stiffening muscles.

I sat today.
    Gassho, greetings and love.

Nadi
    Yes, long Zazen has value, short Zazen has value.

Sometimes I sit for a week in a monastery, getting up at 4am and sitting all day ... day after day ... and the trip is profound with lasting effects.

Sometimes I sit 30 or 40 minutes ... and there are times when one truly settles in ... right into an experience of no "I", just Sitting Sits Sitting.

Sometimes (in fact, the way of Zazen I cherish these days, with lessons of its own lasting and profound) is the Zazen of instantaneously bringing forth "Shikantaza Mind" right amid the craziness of life ... when the baby is crying, the doorbell ringing, the ambulance on its way, the client demanding, the post office line creeping, the traffic jamming, the sun shining, the wind blowing, the rain falling ... such "Zazen" lasting a minute or just a few seconds, and "Sat" whether sitting, standing or running for the train ...

... the same Just As It Is, Timeless Wholeness of Buddha shining in and as all Dharmas, all things.

Long Zazen is Zazen, Short Zazen is Zazen ... do not neglect either.

Gassho, J

SatToday (Both Long and Short).
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-04-2015, 02:50 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Bids
      • Mar 2008

Thanks for your reply and bringing it so beautifully together Jundo.
      Gassho, Nadi

sat, on and off the cushion

Comment

Working...