Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ongen
    • Jan 2014

Disturbing sect

Hi all, I ran into this article. Didn't know anything about this sect, so I thought I would put the info here so anyone who also didn't know could take it in.
    Just in case you meet or know someone who gets pulled into this thing.

Gassho

Vincent

My name is Tenzin Peljor / Michael Jäckel. I was 29 when I met the New Kadampa Tradition (NKT) in December 1995. At that time the general public didn’t know about any controversy relating to the NK…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Hi Vincent,

I am a complete outsider to Tibetan Buddhist issues, but I believe it can be said that this is a very complicated affair and very connected to internal Tibetan politics, with various sides. Perhaps some of our members with more experience with Tibetan Buddhism will offer comment.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-23-2014, 06:21 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Nameless
      • Apr 2013

Wow! Thanks for the heads up.

Gassho, John
      Sat Today

Comment

• Kokuu
        Treeleaf Priest
        • Nov 2012

Hi all

I was a member of this group and lived in their Canterbury centre for a short while before becoming aware of their nature. I am not sure they are exactly a cult but they do have some worrying qualities about how they interpret the dharma, especially with regard to their ongoing dispute with HH Dalai Lama.

The NKT is headed by one single 'Geshe' (sources say he never actually completed his Geshe studies) who was asked to teach in the UK by the reputable FPMT organisation. He ended up splitting off from there and taking over their main centre in Cumbria by deceptive means. Members of the NKT are advised only to read books by 'Geshe' Kelsang Gyatso and the bibliography of his books only contain reference to his other books. He has since been expelled from his own school.

Several prominent members of the NKT have been involved in sexual scandals which have been brushed under the carpet and covered up with misinformation such as the perpetrator going away for a period of solitary retreat.

The NKT does not have links with other Buddhist organisations and considers itself the only pure lineage of the Gelug school of Tibetan Buddhism. They have called HH Dalai Lama a dictator because he speaks out against one of their practices that has a history of inciting vioence against other Tibetan schools. This speaking out is done under the cover of other organisations such that the NKT is not directly implicated. Similarly, as the NKT has gathered a negative reputation, it carries out activities under the name Modern Buddhism. Whereas I have no problem with peaceful protest, even if I disagree with it, their activity in turning up outside all of His Holiness's public talks and shouting slogans such as 'False Dalai Lama Stop Lying' seem to be against the notion of Right Speech. They even go inside his talks and disrupt them.

The dharma taught by the NKT is not all bad but is the most rigid and literal form of Tibetan dharma I have encountered. For those interested in Gelug teachings in the west, FPMT are a much more reliable organisation supported by HH Dalai Lama and with many genuine Tibetan teachers involved in their teaching programmes.

I know several people who have been badly harmed by this organisation (one former nun was thrown out of the centre where she lived with her children for refusing to cover up part of a scandal) and also some very lovely dharma practitioners who are still in it.

All in all, the NKT is best avoided in my opinion but do not believe all that is written about it either. Tenzin Paljor has a particular axe to grind as do many (understandably) upset ex members. Their influence on Tibetan dharma in the west has not been positive and their continued growth in the UK and attempts to control dharma on university campuses is worrying. Many of their classes are run by peoiple with very limited experience of the dharma.

If anyone requires further information, let me know.

Gassho
        Kokuu
        #not sat yet

Comment

• Myosha
          • Mar 2013

Hello,

Amazing.

Thank you for the link.

Gassho,
          Myosha sat today
          "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Comment

• Daiyo
            • Jul 2014

Hi,

When I was looking for a place to learn and practice buddhism, I came across the NKT Argentina facebook page.
            A Jonang tibetan teacher warned me about they being rather sectarian (although he considered so all gelugpas), so I started to read several articles about them and the controversy with His Holiness and the Dorje Shudgen practice.
            As I wanted to know some more, I wrote them asking for their opinion or explanation about the subject but they never answered in any way.

That prevented me from visiting them and I think now that I was fortunate, because I kept looking and after some time found and followed the Soto Zen buddhist tradition.

Gassho,
            Walter

#SatToday
            Gassho,Walter

Comment

• Shinzan
              • Nov 2013

Regarding cults and the abuse of spiritual power, I will mention two books:

Combatting Cult Mind Control, by Steven Hassan

The Guru Papers, by Joel Kramer & Diana Alstad

These are good general treatments of the subject, but again, read them with your own discernment.

_/\_ Shinzan
              sattoday
              Last edited by Shinzan; 12-22-2014, 04:40 PM.

Comment

• Byokan
                Treeleaf Unsui
                • Apr 2014

Hi Kokuu,

Thank you for sharing your experience and insight.
                Metta for all. May everyone find their way.

Gassho
                Lisa
                sat today
                展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
                Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Comment

• Meikyo
                  • Jun 2014

Thanks for the heads up and to Kokuu for additional information.
                  All the best to those implicated in this.

Gassho
                  Aske
                  #SAT TODAY!
                  ~ Please remember that I am very fallible.

Gassho
                  Meikyo

Comment

• Ongen
                    • Jan 2014

Thank you all, and Kokuu for this more in depth info.

Gassho

Vincent

Sat today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Comment

• Kyonin
                      Treeleaf Priest / Engineer
                      • Oct 2010

Hi Vincent,

Kadampa Buddhism is starting to be very popular here in Mexico. They are opening a lot of centers and teaching people to meditate. I was in contact with a couple of their members and while I can't consider it a cult, I can say they have a very special way to see life.

I didn't join specifically because the way they treat women. They tend to separate them and what I think we need is to break walls and to include everyone.

But that's just me and I admit I didn't researched much.

Gassho,

Kyonin
                      #SatToday
                      Hondō Kyōnin
                      奔道 協忍

Comment

• dharmasponge
                        • Oct 2013

Well I have to say I am surprised. I never thought I would see sect bashing in here. How disappointing
                        Sat today

Comment

• dharmasponge
                          • Oct 2013

The Dalai Lamas banning of a particular practice has created a virtual apartheid in parts of Tibet and India. People cannot get medical assistance if they don't carry a card to state that they have renounced the practice he himself practiced for decades. Nor can their children gain an education etc.....

I respectfully suggest those who have thrown a boot in here by thanking the OP for a heads up thoroughly research the facts themselves before subscribing to one side or another.

I am not an NKT member nor am I particularly interested in their activities. What I do know is that what the Dalai Lama has done is categorically wrong and is the cause of suffering for many.

The description I have read here about the NKT is the standard party line stuff that's been around for years....it's full of conjecture and fabrications as well as being riddled with inaccuracies - has overtones of The Emporers Clothes!!

If anyone wants an unbiased level headed take they can contact me too.....
                          Last edited by dharmasponge; 12-24-2014, 10:59 PM.
                          Sat today

Comment

• Jundo
                            Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                            • Apr 2006

Thank you Tony.

It is dangerous to speak from rumor and limited information.

Gassho, Jundo
                            ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Daiyo
                              • Jul 2014

Thank you Tony. Wise reflection.

I've limited myself to tell my very short non-experience but perhaps failed to keep my words impartial.
                              Anyway, I don't care much because I'm not practicing in either tibetan tradition and don't know a thing about then.

Sometimes it's healthier to keep one's mouth shut.

Gassho,
                              Walter.

#SatToday
                              Gassho,Walter

Comment

Working...