BUMP - Celebrate the BUDDHIST HOLIDAYS with Your Family!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

BUMP - Celebrate the BUDDHIST HOLIDAYS with Your Family!

I would like to give this a bump at this time of year, as we commence ROHATSU (the week through December 8th celebrating the Buddha's Enlightenment).

These are some ideas for bringing the meaning of this time of year into your homes and families, and for children. I would really like to see us develop this more. Please visit out "BUDDHIST FAMILY HOLIDAYS" WEBPAGE, where we present ideas for family celebrations of some traditional Buddhist Holidays including Rohatsu. These are ideas to involve the entire family, and especially kids as a way to introduce them to the meaning of the holidays and basic Buddhist teachings in a positive, lasting way.

MORE DETAILS HERE ... in our Forum and Buddhist Family Holidays Webpage:

Gassho, Jundo

------------------------

Hi,

At the following "BUDDHIST FAMILY HOLIDAYS" WEBPAGE sponsored by our Sangha, we present ideas for family celebrations of some traditional Buddhist Holidays. These are ideas to involve the entire family, and especially kids as a way to introduce them to the meaning of the holidays and basic Buddhist teachings in a positive, lasting way. We hope to introduce these "child oriented" ideas in addition to preserving all the weight and tradition of our ancient practices (they are not meant to replace traditional holiday events and ceremonies, but to supplement them so that our children understand).

The ideas on our "Buddhist Family Holidays" webpage are a work in progress ... and, we hope, will be further developed and grow with your input. Thus, there is a place for your ideas and comment on each subject, and we look forward to your input and contributions. You may discuss them here as well. Particularly, notice our "holiday song writing" and "story writing & art" sections, where we hope to receive submissions from all our Buddhist musicians, writers, artists, animators and the like who wish to create works that may, we hope, become a beloved part of these holidays for years to come.

For now, our project is centered on the holidays of "Vesak" (commemorating the Birth of Baby Buddha in the spring) and "Bodhi Day/Rohatsu" (commemorating the time of the enlightenment of Buddha, traditionally in December). In the future, we may add other holidays as well.

Please put some or all of the ideas into practice in YOUR HOUSE, and report to us on how it all goes ...

Our webpage is ...

Gassho, Jundo

Last edited by Jundo; 12-02-2014, 05:39 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Anshu Bryson
    • Aug 2014

I baulked at the mention of "Buddhist children" on the website. IMO, there should be no such thing as 'Buddhist children', but rather 'children of Buddhist parents'...

Gassho,

Bryson

sat today

Comment

• Daiyo
      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Bryson Keenan
      IMO, there should be no such thing as 'Buddhist children', but rather 'children of Buddhist parents'...
      Just being curious, Bryson, why not?

Gassho,
      Walter

#SatToday
      Gassho,Walter

Comment

• Jundo
        Treeleaf Founder and Priest
        • Apr 2006

I baulked at the mention of "Buddhist children" on the website. IMO, there should be no such thing as 'Buddhist children', but rather 'children of Buddhist parents'...

Gassho,

Bryson

sat today
        Hi Bryson,

Actually, I rather feel the same so changed the phrase (I found it once) to "children of Buddhist parents". I too believe that I am introducing my children to Buddhist values, perspectives and practices in our household, but they are free to walk their own path when older. They are "Buddhist" in the way that their upbringing has been imbued with such teachings.

I am not even really a fan of the word "Buddhist", but use it as a convention for people who seek to learn from and walk the Path of the Buddha Dharma, the Teachings. It is a label that we use to describe ourselves like "tall" or "Canadian" or "baseball fan" because we may be those things. There is some small truth there, but labels are ultimately limiting.

We had some threads in the past about kids and Zen Practice, and whether kids should sit Zazen ... and why my son and daughter used to think daddy was bad because he was always sitting "time-outs" in the corner!

-----

Every home is different, but in our house Leon sits with me for about 10 minutes now and then ... before either dashing off or falling asleep. He used to sit with me more when smaller, not so interested now at 10. My daughter joins me from time to time,

I do not think that we need to insist that our young children sit Zazen. It is best just to create a loving home in which lessons of Wisdom and Compassion, the Precepts and other teachings of the Buddha are naturally passed down to our children. Let them learn about Zazen from seeing the place and effect that Zazen has in our lives Then, years from now, when they are grown ... maybe they will turn to it too (your child saying years from now, "That Practice had a positive effect on mom and dad, and they were good parents ... maybe I should try that too").

Now, when my daughter plops down in my lap, she is always welcome. If my son is making noise, I ask him kindly to stop while I am sitting. However, ultimately, the noise is "just what is" and we sit with it, all the Buddha's chanting.

In the meantime, one issue for me is those times I have to give a "time out" to Leon or Sada, and have them sit in the corner. It looks too much like Zazen. In fact, when Leon was younger, he asked my wife if papa was "bad all the time, because he is always sitting in the corner"! I think he now understands the difference!

Our house naturally blends a variety of religions and customs. Most Japanese practice both Shinto and Buddhist Traditions, a time for each. My wife's family are Nichiren Buddhists, and I am the "Zenny" of course, and we respect both ... a time and place for each. I also throw in some Jewish Traditions to respect my background and family, and "Santa Claus" and "Christmas" is all around the stores and kids' TV even here in Japan ... no problem.

One thing I would like to do is find some new ways to introduce our children to Buddhist and Zen Traditions. I came up with this a couple of years ago, "Buddhist Family Holidays", to recognize our own holiday traditions in the Spring and at the end of the year (there are other holidays which might be added too for other times of the year, like Bodhidharma's Birthday. Right now the two holidays we have begun with our Buddha's Birthday in the Spring and Buddha's Enlightenment Day, Rohatsu, in December). I thought it a great way to get the kids involved. However, nothing ever came of the program and it is rather neglected, just sitting there. The next holiday, Rohatsu, is at the end of the year and so there is plenty of time.

I am looking for someone who can volunteer to really take the lead on it and make it take wing. Write me privately if you think you can.

Gassho, Jundo Dad

SatToday

PS - WOULD ANYONE WITH KIDS (AND A SENSE FOR KIDS) LIKE TO TAKE CHARGE OF OUR "BUDDHIST FAMILY HOLIDAYS" PROGRAM AS THE LEADER, AND HELP MAKE IT FLOURISH? YOU WOULD BE IN CHARGE OF GETTING OUR SANGHA MEMBERS (SPECIFICALLY THE ONES WITH KIDS) TO JOIN IN, AND HELPING TO DEVELOP THE VARIOUS ACTIVITIES THAT GO WITH EACH HOLIDAY. WRITE ME PRIVATELY IF SO.
        Last edited by Jundo; 12-03-2014, 02:21 AM.
        ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Anshu Bryson
          • Aug 2014

Hi Walter,

I am just not a fan of the religious indoctrination of children (in any particular religion); I think that children should learn about life, have an opportunity to learn from a range of wisdom traditions, and make decisions about their own world view when they are old enough to do so for themselves. I am not saying don't share your own traditions with your children, or don't celebrate Vesak or Christmas or whatever with your kids; I am just uncomfortable with the 'labelling' of children is all...

Gassho,

Bryson

sat today

Comment

• Anshu Bryson
            • Aug 2014

Dear Jundo,

Mine was only a personal opinion, rather than a criticism, but thank you for looking at it. I agree wholeheartedly with your comment about the Buddhism/Buddhist label as well...

Gassho,

Bryson

sat today

Comment

• Daiyo
              • Jul 2014

Hi Walter,

I am just not a fan of the religious indoctrination of children (in any particular religion); I think that children should learn about life, have an opportunity to learn from a range of wisdom traditions, and make decisions about their own world view when they are old enough to do so for themselves. I am not saying don't share your own traditions with your children, or don't celebrate Vesak or Christmas or whatever with your kids; I am just uncomfortable with the 'labelling' of children is all...

Gassho,

Bryson

sat today
              Thanks for taking the time for answering, Bryson.

I agree with you.
              I also don't want to indoctrinate my children. In fact, they go to a catholic school because in Argentina, I think about 90 percent of the population is catholic.
              Even more now that the pope is Argentinian (who would have said?). But I also think it's good for them to know what does their daddy do sitting, burning incense and bowing, and share short non-invasive practices with them.

Gassho,
              Walter.
              Gassho,Walter

Comment

Working...