Zazen: Half-lotus and ankles

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • orangedice
    • Oct 2014

I just started doing half-lotus myself. The first time I did it too long and was limping around my room trying to get my leg to wake back up. XD

- June

Comment

• Ernstguitar
      • Feb 2013

Dan,
      I'd like to hear how the bench works out for you after some time. I've debated getting one for quite some time. Does anyone know an inexpensive place to order from?
      I do my zazen now for five years on the bench. Both knees are pretty demaged. It works wounderful and I stretch my knees like I would sit full lotus. So, I have also the triangle and it is very stabile. I bought one in amazon and a second I did myself. If you want the size etc. I can send you, how my bench is made. It is important, that your feet do not hurt because the bench, if it is to low.

Gassho
      Ernst

Comment

• Shinyo

Thanks Ernst. I might try to make one.

Gassho,
        Shinyo

Comment

• Ernstguitar
          • Feb 2013

This is the original:

If you cannot see it on the photo, here is the link:

So I can put my feet beside and not between the bench foot. The wood is 4cm thick.
          Size: 18cm in the back and 14cm front is the foot
          13cm x 32cm is the plate, where you sit. That is all.

I am not shure if you want it right now. So, just in case I post it. Maybe there is some use.

Gassho

Comment

• Biko
            • Sep 2013

I sit with a seiza bench. It's wonderful but you need to get the correct size for your body type. Opt for taller rather than shorter or you will kill your knees and ankles. They are really easy to make if you have access to some simple power tools. Most lumber stores will even cut your boards for you.

Here's a plan:

If you buy one I would recommend the ones from Zen Mountain Monastery. They are hand made by the monks.

Buddhist meditation supplies from Zen Mountain Monastery. We offer high quality zafu and zabuton meditation cushions, statues, malas, books, clothing, and more.

Gassho,
            Jeffrey
            "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."
            Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Comment

• Shinyo

Thanks for the links Jeffrey!

Gassho,
              Shinyo

Comment

Working...