X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Hi Morgan,

A bit too intellectual and wordy, so this is the time for the old Zen Teacher cop-out "Go Sit, Find Out".

I will say this. Zazen is only on the Zafu cushion. Zazen is -not- only on the Zafu cushion.

Zazen is only on the Zafu cushion. Sitting on the Zafu is observor and observed and all what have ya. We sit as a sacred act, the only place to be and act in need of doing in that moment of sitting.

Zazen is -not- only on the Zafu cushion. Rising up from the cushion, all is observor and observed and all what have ya. It is such whether we perceive it as such or not. However, usually we do not perceive so with our minds filled with divisive thoughts, although sometimes we can such as your beach moment. Thus, one sits because it is genrally more effective to realize such through a Practice such as Zazen.

As to the Mahayana view of time: The sticks are gone, the footprints are washed away. However, sticks and footprints never come or go. What is more, every grain of sand on the beach and all the stars in the sky each reflect that moment of sticks and footprints (Have you ever heard of Indra's Net, in which every realm of reality is like a jewel or mirror, reflecting and containing and manifesting every other event and corner of reality?). Does that blow your mind?

Well, stop thinking about it now ... Go Sit, Find Out!

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-16-2014, 07:09 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• rego
      • Jun 2014

Hello Morgan,

Just wanted to chime that you aren't alone in this! I find that the more I think about it, the less I get it. The more I "do it," I still don't think I get it but it makes more sense? I'm probably not making sense. Whether or not I get it, I do enjoy the time I take to sit every morning. I am still very much a beginner, however.

Thank you everyone, I found many of the replies in this thread really helpful.

Andrew

Comment

• Kyonin
        Treeleaf Priest / Engineer
        • Oct 2010

Hi all.

My case is a little different, I guess. I begun this path because it just felt natural. No questions to ask. I found out I had been a Buddhist all my life without even knowing what Buddhism was.

It was years into practice when questions began, but the more I sat, the questions went away or were answered deep inside me.

Of course I read books and stay in touch with our teachers. Of course I have academic questions.

But at the end of the day, everything drops when I sit... and it seems to extend to all activities

Gassho,

Kyonin
        Hondō Kyōnin
        奔道 協忍

Comment

• RichardH
          • Nov 2011

Hi Morgan... Thursdays are much better. I'll be on the cushion at 7pm. Thanks

Comment

Working...