Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Troy
    • Sep 2013

Age criteria for practising zazen.

I find it fascinating and wonderful that we have so many people that have been practicing for such a long time. I have only been practicing a couple years maybe three I can't remember for sure. I am humbled, deep bows.

I think the appropriate age to start Zazen is a little different for everyone. To me it is basically when one is able to understand the concept enough to get started. At the temple close to me, they have a children's service for very young children that probably could not understand an abstract concept like Zazen. However, the teacher will sound a bell and they will listen quietly until the sound dissipates. A meditation of sorts for kids.
    Last edited by Troy; 03-03-2014, 12:12 AM.

Comment

• monkeymind
      • Dec 2013

Keep practising. The skills and habits you develop now will deepen as you get older and become part of your life. Then you will see the value of having started at a young age.

Comment

• Ishin
        • Jul 2013

My son sometimes sits with me. I neither encourage, nor discourage this. If he asks to sit, I give him a pillow. He is 9. My daughter who is 21, also started sitting. I never said one word to her about my practice. She just started doing it.
        Gassho
        C
        Grateful for your practice

Comment

Working...