Dogen’s Circle of the Way

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joyo

Steven, I can relate to your feelings that arise during zazen. I have, recently, realized by sitting, that my greatest "enemy" is the one within, my inner demons. In sitting, I must sit with this, and it can be very painful and difficult. However, as I continue to sit with these painful feelings and memories, I am becoming more aware of it, and it slowly loses it's grip on my mind.

It's interesting, though, because as the inner demons slowly lose their power, the people that used to scare and intimidate me, no longer have the same control over me that they used to. It's a very slow process though, no instant fix. But, as Jundo said, there's a peace that comes that booze, valium etc. etc. could never replace.

Gassho,
    Joyo

Comment

• Ishin
      • Jul 2013

Right! I was never a BIG drinker, but I have almost completely want to drink anymore. I am not suggesting that moderate drinking is bad, nor am I suggesting this is THE cure for over drinking, but for ME I just have noticed there seems to be no more desire to do it.

Gassho
      C
      Grateful for your practice

Comment

• Jundo
        Treeleaf Founder and Priest
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Joyo
        Steven, I can relate to your feelings that arise during zazen. I have, recently, realized by sitting, that my greatest "enemy" is the one within, my inner demons. In sitting, I must sit with this, and it can be very painful and difficult. However, as I continue to sit with these painful feelings and memories, I am becoming more aware of it, and it slowly loses it's grip on my mind.
        I believe that is what is referred to as "Mara" in traditional imagery, the "enemy emissaries" of the various fears, doubts, lack of energy, distractions, depressions, cravings that seek to drag us away during Zazen (and other times in life) ... as depicted in old images like this of the Buddha just prior to his "Ah ha" (and said to have returned at various times even later in his life) ...

I like this picture, because the emissaries look a bit bored and frustrated that they are not getting anywhere with this guy!

Here is an even older image. Notice that in the first centuries, they did not even depict a Buddha image ... just an empty seat ...

Gassho, J
        Last edited by Jundo; 02-21-2014, 02:52 AM.
        ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• TimF
          • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Clark
          My Kung Fu Sifu hates the belt system. The reason is he finds people begin to learn and train with an agenda. The agenda turns away from self development, and perfection of the art to the endless quest to just get to the next level. People then train martial arts just to get a belt. So many people train martial arts to become a black belt, they either get frustrated that they aren't attaining belts at the rate they thought they would, or eventually they do get a black belt and then they quit. Few of his students just train to train, but those are the ones that make it a part of their life and see the most benefit, because they just train for the sake of training.

Gassho
          C
          Which is exactly why I love taking Tai Chi. Our Sifu makes no mention of advancement at all, and the closest thing to it is the numbering of the forms. However, even when you "get to the end" of the forms, you then go back to the "beginning" and begin to refine them...to make them your own, if you will.

I completely agree with your Sifu!

Gassho,
          Tim
          "The moment has priority". ~ Bon Haeng

Comment

• Kokuu
            Treeleaf Priest
            • Nov 2012

Dogen's Circle of the Way podcast from Upaya with Brad and Kaz Tanahashi:

Episode Description: In this joint public talk offered on the first day of a sesshin (intensive meditation retreat), Sensei Kaz begins by introducing Brad Warner and then speaks a little about what a…

Gassho
            Andy

Comment

• Ongen
              • Jan 2014

Personally I think a goal is a great starting point! Is there any other starting point?

I love that Alan Watts video, Jundo, It hits the right note!

Anyway, I was in this sucky job, and I set the goal for myself to find a better job. But since there weren't any jobs in my country at that time (and still so) I quickly forgot about that, and set a new goal to make my job a better one. Later, out of frustration- "it ain't gonna happen anyway", I forgot about that goal too and simply did the job, trying not to think anything about it. Eventually I noticed the suckyness would not stick to my mood and thoughts anymore. And now, much later, I find myself doing the same job, but the suckyness is gone. I feel this applies to virtually anything. Just letting go dissolves it all, without really changing it. Funny stuff

Gassho

Vincent
              Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Comment

Working...