Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daijo
    • Feb 2012

8 Form Moving Meditation

As I have been unable to get a functioning camera in the zendo, we're moving to plan B. I will be teaching the 8 Form Moving Meditation over Google+. If all goes according to plan, it will be recorded and accessible here for all to view and practice as they can.

The "live" version will be tomorrow morning Feb. 9th at 9:30 AM EST (U.S.) Those in the tree leaf circle will get an invite if they wish to meditate "live". I dont know how much interest there is, or how many people can even make that time schedule. But as with everything else here at Treeleaf, anytime is the right time. I will try to figure out how to link it to this thread when we begin. If any of our more tech savvy Treeleafers wants to shoot me a message on how this is accomplished that would be great.

For those how didn't follow this discussion on the previous thread, I've copied a basicc description ofthe 8 Form Moving Meditation from Dharma Drum.

"Dharma Drum’s Eight-Form Moving Meditation was developed by Master Sheng Yen of Dharma Drum Mountain as a means of allowing people living stressful and busy lifestyles to enjoy some of the benefits of Chan meditation. The system, based on many years of practice and personal experience, has incorporated the essence of Chan meditation into a series of simple physical exercises. In addition to physical exercise, practice of the Eight Forms helps you relax your body and mind, so that you can develop a healthy body and a balanced mind. Dharma Drum’s Eight-Form Moving Meditation is a set of easy-to-learn exercises that can be practiced almost anywhere and at anytime. This system of “meditation through motion” is beneficial to both body and mind, and once acquired through diligent practice, can be performed whether walking, standing, sitting or reclining, so that you are always mindful of being relaxed in body and mind. By practicing the Eight Forms, you will always be composed and at ease, and at every moment enjoy the bliss of meditation and the joy of the Dharma.

Now I don't know about all of that "always composed and at ease, bliss" stuff, but I do know it's a peasant way to start out the day. I also find it particularly useful just before a long period of sitting, like our monthly 4 hour Zazenkai. So, I hope you enjoy it, please join live if you can.

Gassho,

Daijo

• Nameless
    • Apr 2013

That's awesome Daijo! And remarkably weird, I just heard about 8 form moving meditation from a friend yesterday. Never knew of it before. Won't be able to make it live, but I'll definitely join in with the recording!

Gassho, John

Comment

• Myosha
      • Mar 2013

Hello,

Would like to learn about this.

Thank you.

Gassho,
      Myosha
      "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Comment

• Kokuu
        Treeleaf Priest
        • Nov 2012

Thank you, Daijo. I would like to learn this also.

Will be 14.30 for UK people which will be a nice start to the afternoon.

Gassho
        Kokuu

Comment

• Heisoku
          • Jun 2010

That's great! I had a look and it is quite similar to the Taoist 8 brocade qigong. But anything that helps people learn about and 'feel' their body is wonderful. Gassho. I will have a look tomorrow.
          Heisoku 平 息
          Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Comment

• Jinyo
            • Jan 2012

Thank you - will be interested to learn about this.

Gassho

Willow

Comment

• Daijo
              • Feb 2012

Well. Never mind, Because I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make this work. I guess it isn't meant to be.

Comment

• Koshin
                • Feb 2012

Dont worry, I don't know how to help you, I do not know G+ that well...but sooner or later it will work, I think it would be a great sharing

Gassho
                Thank you for your practice

Comment

• Taigu
                  Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage Priest
                  • Aug 2008

WHAT IS THIS???

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

DO YOU THINK THE BUDDHA DHARMA IS A JOKE?

Now, let me put you in the picture. For many years Jundo and myself have tried to get the message across that SHIKANTAZA is our practice and NOTHING ELSE.

no Daijo, it is not meant to be.

I only believe in shaving one s head, sitting and wearing the Buddhist robe.

Everything else doesn' t matter.

I am getting my arse to America this summer to get people together so they can help each other and deepen their practice. So is Jundo as he is touring is Native land to inspire people.

Why? and for who?

Put your gimmicks down, sit and join us.

And you can call me anything and think I am stupid and a bully, and you are right, as long as it is about my lineage, don't you mess with it!!! It is my role and responsability to tell people that they should not interfere further.

your stuff, it can be great, whatever, has nothing to do with Treeleaf.

gassho

Taigu
                  Last edited by Taigu; 02-09-2014, 02:57 PM.

Comment

• Myosha
                    • Mar 2013

Thank you.

Gassho,
                    Myosha
                    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Comment

• Jundo
                      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                      • Apr 2006

Hi Taigu,

Hmmm. Well, I am interested to see what it could be. For example, William made a Yoga lesson for us (and let me know he is making an expanded version) to help folks stretch and get some flexibility for long Zazen sittings. I think that is great and very helpful ...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zMKuhWolut8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DzMKuhWolut8 This link will take you to the video that my teacher training friends were kind enough to help me with. The stretches are all pretty basic, but they are designed to loosen up the back, legs and shoulders after sitting. You do not even need a

... much the same as you, Taigu, and many others find the "Alexander Technique" of body movement and excellent practice for "loosening up" the body for Zazen ...

I have recently had difficulty when doing any type of meditation. I get these symptoms ether on their own or sometimes in concert: *headache (right in the middle of my forehead) *pain in the left side of my chest *pain in my lower jaw I am not sure what I have done or doing to cause this but it has really made sitting

So, not knowing what this is, I thought the "8 Form Moving Meditation" might be something like that, to help folks loosen up. So, I asked Daijo to show us just as a demonstration.

I have to admit that, yes, if it is some meditation which promises "you will always be composed and at ease, and at every moment enjoy the bliss of meditation" ... hmmm ... that is not Shikantaza it seems, which is richer than all that. Shikantanza affords a Bliss much better than "constant bliss!"

Gassho, J
                      Last edited by Jundo; 02-09-2014, 05:14 PM.
                      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Daijo
                        • Feb 2012

Yes, and I assure you that I am very careful about anything that I post here. I would never introduce so much as a book recommendation without first asking Jundo, or you Taigu. I never intended for this to be something I thought should be part of practice at treeleaf. It's not something I practice regularly, I may have done this 5 times in my life. I simply find it to be a nice exercise to warm up the old limbs and settle the mind a little bit. Nothing more, nothing less. I've also never had it explained to me as a magic trick for feeling composed or at ease,etc.... When I saw those words in one of many descriptions I found, I laughed a little and then posted them here. Not intending to promote that notion at all.

As I said, I just think it's a nice bit of mild exercises. That's really all it should be taken as and I meant no offense.

(Oh, and Taigu, I took no offense either)

Gassho,

Daijo

Comment

• Daijo
                          • Feb 2012

Having said all of that......I cant figure out how to film it anyway, so back to fetching wood and carrying water.

Comment

• Dosho
                            • Jun 2008

I can probably help you with that Daijo...just didn't see your message last night asking for assistance.

Gassho,
                            osho

Originally posted by Daijo
                            Having said all of that......I cant figure out how to film it anyway, so back to fetching wood and carrying water.

Comment

• Daijo
                              • Feb 2012

A question for our teachers...not to stir the pot but,

If our understanding is right, and our practice is "strong" shouldn't we be able to practice something like this and still be "just sitting"? Obviously without all of the "peace and ease in every moment" nonsense.

I really don't see something like this, with the right understanding, as being all together different from samu, or oryoki, or kinhin. All things which are not literally "just sitting". But all things that are most definitely "just sitting".

And again, I am not suggesting these silly stretches be anything more than silly stretches for those who inquire about "sleeping limbs". I'm really asking this on a more general level. If we have the right understanding, and the right effort, is not everything we do, shikantaza?

Gassho,

Daijo

Comment

Working...