Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maya k
    • Aug 2017

Dear Chuck,
    we usually pick friends "mind to mind" just hung out with who ever u feel good with and don't over question it.

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Maya k
      Dear Chuck,
      we usually pick friends "mind to mind" just hung out with who ever u feel good with and don't over question it.
      One of the wonders of this Forum sometimes ... a question asked 3 years ago is responded to today!

Welcome Again, Maya.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Myogan
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Jundo
        One of the wonders of this Forum sometimes ... a question asked 3 years ago is responded to today!

Welcome Again, Maya.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
        And yet still timely.

Gassho
        Sat
        Marc Connery
        明岩
        Myo̅ Gan - Bright Cliff

I put the Monkey in Monkeymind

Comment

• Meitou
          • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Myogan
          And yet still timely.

Gassho
          Sat
          More so than ever! FB can be a great teacher, it can be a beast. Over the years I've learnt to make it work for me but it's been a long journey.
          I still get really shocked at the vitriol, the hate fuelled responses and while I generally don't get involved, I do try to reflect on what those people might be going through in their lives outside the computer. Are they alone, do they have no-one to talk to or more importantly listen to them? Are they frustrated, do they feel powerless, are they afraid? I come back to this time and again because I do believe that every one of us has Buddha nature, even if it's heavily obscured, and to remember that is to remind myself to be kind and compassionate. But it hits me hard when I read some of the Buddhist groups on FB. I know some of you are in the Soto Zen group (and thank you Jundo for your always measured responses) and it upsets me to think that these days FB might be the first place people look for information and advice. How sad then that an awakening interest should be met with some of the comments I've seen.
          Something I learned from doing an NVC course (non violent communication) is that reaction is no basis for response. Giving myself time to understand my reaction not only helps to understand the reactions of others but helps me to respond with more equanimity.
          And if all else fails, just walk away!
          Gassho
          Frankie

satwithyoualltoday
          命 Mei - life
          島 Tou - island

Comment

• Eikyo
            • Feb 2016

This is a great topic to explore. I've loved reading all of your thoughts and responses.
            My personal take on this is that it can be as toxic to avoid taking a stance on politics as it is to dig one's heels in on a certain view. Politics matters and affects people's lives, it's up to each of us to decide whether to engage in it or not however I feel that as Buddhists we have a lot to contribute to the manner in which politics is done.
            I'm a very active member of the Labour party in England and have found it largely male dominated and with an aggressive manner of holding meetings and discussions. Since taking a leading role I have been working to change this and sometimes that means directly challenging people when they are not using skillful means. It's possible to disagree strongly and do it in a way that doesn't compromise your ethics.

There are some wonderful Buddhist teachers from minority ethnic and LGBT backgrounds that have some useful words to say about out responsibility to NOT be non-dualistic when it comes to challenging things that are wrong. If I can dig out the articles (if it's not been recycled yet!) I will post it here for you guys.

Gassho,
            Dee

Comment

• FaithMoon
              • Jul 2015

Dee that sounds very interesting.
              sat today!

Comment

• Saijun
                • Jul 2010

Hello everyone,

Am I the only person reminded of Joshu's cat?

Anything one can say is a lie, is limited, is incorrect. But, we have to say something.

Hands in gassho,

Saijun

ST/LAH
                To give up yourself without regret is the greatest charity. --RBB

Comment

• Daiyo
                  • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Frankie
                  More so than ever! FB can be a great teacher, it can be a beast. Over the years I've learnt to make it work for me but it's been a long journey.
                  I still get really shocked at the vitriol, the hate fuelled responses and while I generally don't get involved, I do try to reflect on what those people might be going through in their lives outside the computer. Are they alone, do they have no-one to talk to or more importantly listen to them? Are they frustrated, do they feel powerless, are they afraid? I come back to this time and again because I do believe that every one of us has Buddha nature, even if it's heavily obscured, and to remember that is to remind myself to be kind and compassionate...
                  You are right. FB can be a teacher and a beast.

For the past 2 years, starting from a presidential change in my country, I've felt the need to somehow defend my beliefs. Politics have created a strong separation in my country with even families and friends not talking to each other or breaking links.
                  I've taken active part on many arguments and also lost friends.
                  But started to see, perhaps late, that I'm suffering and causing a lot of suffering out of the need to fuel my ego by "being right".
                  I've made vitriolic statements against acquaintances, relatives or friends, ignoring that people are being manipulated by the media and politicians and most probably me too.

The positive side to this is that I've reached a point where I understood that I need to step back and put some distance between me and the news, to stronly commit to revive practice. I know I've fallen many times, but never before felt right in the heart the need to stop arguing.

I hope I will be able to keep my commitment by replacing the time I spent on facebook with reading books or sitting more steadily.

Gassho,
                  Daiyo

Sat Today.
                  Gassho,Walter

Comment

• Byrne
                    • Dec 2014

Seeing how delusional and easily led so many of my friends and family are has only brought light to how hopelessly delusional and easily led I am. Thanks Facebook.

Gassho

Sat Today

Comment

Working...