Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kokuu
    Treeleaf Priest
    • Nov 2012

I hope at least we get an accurate translation. Don't want to end up like this! http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ekqxtappOs...Larsen_enl.JPG!

Comment

• MyoHo
      • Feb 2013

Mu

Comment

• Shokai
        Treeleaf Priest
        • Mar 2009

Oh, you mean something like:
        馬臀 - Umaden - Horse Buttocks
        合掌,生開
        gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by Karasu
          I hope at least we get an accurate translation. Don't want to end up like this! http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ekqxtappOs...Larsen_enl.JPG!
          LOL ... Me either!

Gassho
          Shingen

Comment

• Jakuden
            • Jun 2015

Pondering Dharma names, this thread popped up and gave me a chuckle...

Gassho,
            Jakuden
            SatToday

Comment

• Myogan
              • Aug 2015

Interesting thing with the Japanese characters, called kanji, is that the same Kanji has similar but different meanings depending on context and placement within the word. For example the 岩 in 明岩 in Japanese can stand for rock, Boulder, crag, cliff, anchor.

gassho
              sat
              Marc Connery
              明岩
              Myo̅ Gan - Bright Cliff

I put the Monkey in Monkeymind

Comment

• Washin
                Treeleaf Unsui
                • Dec 2014

Interesting thread to read and reflect on.
                Thank you for digging it up, Jakuden.

I'm given the name "Washin" (Harmonious, Cooperative Mind-Heart) where I sense
                presence of some traits of my character (cooperative, collaborative.. don't know but some say)
                as well as something to strive for (harmony, balance, no extremes -- the middle way..)
                So, here we have Washin, sitting and "washing colors with white"
                I really like it.

Gassho
                Washin/Sergey
                sat-today
                Last edited by Washin; 01-13-2016, 02:40 PM.
                Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
                Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
                ----
                I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
                and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Comment

• Chiko
                  • Oct 2015

I found this interesting article recently on this very topic. It helped me approach the subject of dharma names with some humility:

"It’s not that you get a new name — it’s that the rug is pulled out from your old one. Nothing has been replaced, only lost. A name is a powerful thing. If your name is Susan, you’re probably always been Susan. That name is one of the first words you heard, one of the first words you learned to identify with a signifier. You most likely cannot imagine notbeing Susan. You know where Susan went to high school, who her best friends are, what she likes and what she avoids. You know Susan’s favorite color. You know how she walks, what flavor ice cream she always chooses. There’s a good chance that you know what Susan wants.
                  But if Susan is given the name Daiji, and if she uses it, suddenly there’s a disconnect. It’s jarring to be called by another name, especially when that name is attached to a particular practice, a specific way of being. Susan might always get mint chocolate chip, but Daiji doesn’t know what to order. Daiji and Susan are not really from the same place; they have a shared history, but Daiji’s is very short, very fresh in comparison (some priests celebrate their ordination day as their birthday — by that system, I’m a much younger man, with a much broader future). Daiji is all possibility. Specifically, Susan does not know how to live the precepts, how to fulfill vow. But that’s OK, because Daiji is the one who took on that responsibility, who was entrusted with saving all beings and cutting through all delusion. Daiji, if we’re lucky, might just see a way."

Chiko (Matt)
                  SatToday

Comment

• Washin
                    Treeleaf Unsui
                    • Dec 2014

It’s about moving beyond being this person or that person, about expanding beyond what any one individual can aspire to.
                    Good read.. Thank you for sharing, Chiko.

Gassho
                    Washin/Sergey
                    ST
                    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
                    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
                    ----
                    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
                    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Comment

• Jika
                      • Jun 2014

I personally find the new Dharma name uncomfortable: as if it was clothing I have to grow into.
                      Hanging on me a bit clumsy, like the rakusu.
                      Others seem to look better with theirs...
                      And I was afraid my parents would perceive it as a rejection of the name they chose for me.
                      But everyone is very happy, my aunt even called to say she heard what a beautiful name I'd been given.

Well, with my Sangha's help, I'll do my best to take care of this flower to heal and grow.

Gassho
                      Jika
                      #sattoday
                      治 Ji
                      花 Ka

Comment

• Frank
                        • Dec 2015

Danny..clothing to grow into....well said.
                        so happy for you and your family support

Gassho
                        Frank
                        Sat Today

Comment

• Jishin
                          • Oct 2012

Jukai names

Originally posted by Zuhair

[FONT=Georgia]"It’s not that you get a new name — it’s that the rug is pulled out from your old one. Nothing has been replaced, only lost.
                          Not one effing think has changed about me when I got my dharma name. Nothing gained or lost.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
                          Last edited by Jishin; 01-14-2016, 12:08 AM. Reason: none

Comment

Working...