Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Myozan Kodo
    Friend of Treeleaf
    • May 2010

I think sometimes I'm going to start dressing as a woman.

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Myozan Kodo
      I think sometimes I'm going to start dressing as a woman.
      Of course you can.

We have several members of this Sangha who are transgender or cross-dressing, by the way. It makes no difference.

Avoid bright colors and patterns, and wear loose fitting clothers.

Gassho, J
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Myozan Kodo
        Friend of Treeleaf
        • May 2010

Hi,
        My point is how one dresses is a matter of personal choice. It does not matter. I do not intend to offend my transgender brothers and sisters. My apologies if my comment can be misread as intolerant. It is meant, rather, to support personal choice in these matters.
        Deep bows,
        Myozan

Comment

• Kyonin
          Treeleaf Priest / Engineer
          • Oct 2010

I sometimes sit with my Luchador mask.

IMG0167A.jpg

Not really. But would be fun.

Gassho,

Kyonin
          Hondō Kyōnin
          奔道 協忍

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by Kyonin

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1277[/ATTACH]

Gassho,

Kyonin
            That and Jundos speedo makes for a awesome outfit!

Gassho
            Shingen

Comment

• Biko
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Kyonin

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1277[/ATTACH]

Gassho,

Kyonin
              OMG this mask is scary! Hahahaha
              Gassho, Jeffrey
              "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."
              Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Comment

• Biko
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Jundo
                Of course you can.

We have several members of this Sangha who are transgender or cross-dressing, by the way. It makes no difference.

Avoid bright colors and patterns, and wear loose fitting clothers.

Gassho, J

I love Tree Leaf more and more each day. Some of the finest people I've had the good fortune to know have been trans.

Gassho, Jeffrey
                "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

Comment

• Biko
                  • Sep 2013

Thrifting Score!

I found a nice almost new Gi today whilst out thrifting. It was on the Halloween rack and fits me perfectly. $3 well spent.
                  Gassho, Jeffrey

CYMERA_20131002_192821.jpg

Comment

• Anshu
                    • Aug 2013

Hello,

I agree with everyone . In fact it is important to have a clothing to practice the way ... but it is also important not to have specific clothing

Until now I did not even have rakusu, but I'm sewing a kesa five bands in Nyohoe tradition, that I will wear on European clothing as Gudo Nishijima on the picture.
                    In my case, my wife sewed me a clothing resembling samue, which is very comfortable to sit. I use it, but not every time, otherwise I'm usually in jeans and shirt.

Just like to practice zazen, if we have a special place it's good, if we just practice next to (or in) the toilet it's good too.
                    I practice zazen in a special room at home, but also in the hotel room when I'm traveling, and last week in a train station, in front of an advertising board.

I wish everyone a deep practice, with or without traditional clothing.

Gasshô
                    Anshu - Henri
                    Last edited by Anshu; 10-07-2013, 01:21 PM.
                    Le secret consiste donc seulement à dire "OUI" et à se jeter dans le vide. Dès lors, il n'y a plus de problème. Il s'agit d'être soi-même dans l'instant présent, toujours soi-même, sans s'accrocher à son vieux moi.
                    Shunryu Suzuki Roshi

Comment

• Jundo
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Anshu

Just like to practice zazen, if we have a special place it's good, if we just practice next to (or in) the toilet it's good too.
                      I practice zazen in a special room at home, but also in the hotel room when I'm traveling, and last week in a train station, in front of an advertising board.
                      Lovely Anshu. All such places are the Pure Land when perceived as such.

Gassho, J

Comment

• kidbuda
                        • Dec 2011

A good time to mention these guys again ...

I recommend that you should wear CLOTHES, although even that is optional. Once I was invited to teach at the nudist Zendo in Florida (I just missed the opportunity, would do it next time). I think they put towels on top of the Zafus. :

Gassho, Jundo

JAJAJAJAJAJAAJJ ! loved the image! I had a Tai Chi teacher who worked at the "Centro Budista de la Ciudad de México/Mexico City Buddhist Center" and when we made an appointment there he said: Te veo en el centro nudista / See you at the nuddist center. It was always hilarious to hear that and to see people´s reaction.

And in a more serious tone I agree with: Use clothes, not to have fixed ideas on to what to wear when doing zazen and avoid difficult clothing ( spike boots, chains and tight jeans make sitting quite a challenge...I´ve tried) But it would be fun if we all wear Luchador mask´s as Kyonin for a Zazenkai. XD

Gassho

kb
                        Dancing between stillness and motion I find peace.

Comment

• YuimaSLC
                          • Aug 2012

I have a couple of samue (one bought in Japantown San Francisco, just as a reference of where they might be available) and find them very comfortable and appropriate to wear for zazen, for kitchen work (with an apron) and housework. I have yet to wear them for yard work. I have had interest in the past about clothing that fits the design paradigm of "form follows function". Have never believed much in suffering-for-your-fashion. And some of us, including me in past behaviors, should be-aware of whether we are motivated by less wholesome issues such as "being different than everyone.....hey look at me....I'm doing special practice".

I also bought a pattern for samue at a fabric store in Tokyo (all fabric stores in Japan seem to sell patterns for samue). So once I get a chance to take a look at it (with the aid of my very technically adept seamstress spouse) I can share thoughts on how the pattern helped.

Comment

• Jundo
                            • Apr 2006

I think that one can dress like Bozo the Clown if the heart is sincere. Much better than dressing like the High Grand Monk of Kyoto if one's heart is insincere or "look at me".

Today's "Beach Party Bingo" Zazenkai was about that. Very comfortable clothes too, although one must put the ants crawling up the leg out of mind. Most don't bite ... they crawl up, they eventually crawl back down.

I think it okay to sit Zazen naked too. Maybe someday soon.

Gassho, J

Comment

• Biko
                              • Sep 2013

I think that one can dress like Bozo the Clown if the heart is sincere.
                              And sometimes I do! I've always been a "colorful" dresser. Haha

Gassho, Jeffrey

Comment

Working...