X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Dear David,

Welcome again. We can always use an anarchist around here (as long as not the bomb throwing kind), and until the point that I, as the resident Authoritarian Dictator-for-Life-, order complete obedience and compliance. ;-)

Actually, the rigid, militaristic "boot camp" of Zen training is useful (I think), but only for short periods of time (I think). The reason is that, like any "boot camp", the physical discomforts, psychological stresses and need to leave our personal likes and dislikes at the door and "tow the line" are each beneficial in teaching us how to find "freedom within confinement". I have helped teach at some Zen Sangha at maximum security prisons in Florida, and the life for the inmates there can be like a Zen monastery. We learn that "inner freedom" has little relation to outward restrictions, humiliations and unplesantries.

(On a related theme, I will be giving a talk in a couple of days about a book and movie called "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"

It is a true story about a fellow who was suddenly paralyzed save for the ability to blink one eye. His sharp mind, humor and great spirit, however, brought him freedom. A wonderful, uplifting tale that demonstrates the resources we may have within us).

Anyway, back to our main topic: The only trouble I find with that "boot camp" mentality is that some Western Zen Buddhist groups try to be "more Japanese than the Japanese", and have created some artificial, stereotypical image of what Zen training and a Zen teacher is supposed to be. It can come to be cultish, with the Zen teacher as some infallible awakened being handing out Zen-like pronouncements and bits of "Wisdom". Anyone who resists the group is not "enlightened". That kind of silliness. (It happened in a certain lineage in Europe, at the San Francisco Zen Center under Baker Roshi, and other places).

In any event, while I feel the captain has to keep the ship on course, and run a tight ship with a clean galley and all ropes properly knotted, I don't believe in that kind of exaggerated "Zen" thing. I am certainly not Captain Bligh (permission to mutiny and set me adrift in a lifeboat if I ever act that way). If I see a student getting too comfortable, I will push them to doing things they might resist from time to time (I wish we had more folks around here taking their Samu seriously, with outside volunteer work if they have time!!). But, there is no need to live full time or long term in a rigid monastery to know the true fruits of our Zen Practice, I think. Having a job in an office with a boss and co-workers, and a wife/husband and bills to be paid and health concerns, etc., can be just as "confining" and an excellent environment for Zen Practice.

So, to make a long story short: Do not flee from confining circumstance, nor run toward them. Do not run toward anarchy for anarchy's sake. Just come to be yourself, doing your own Practice, in a world which is a mixture of liberties and restrictions. Know that true freedom has nothing to do with external circumstances.

Gassho, Jundo the Great, President for Life and Grand High Poobah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• will
      • Jun 2007

Hi David. Welcome.

Gassho Will
      [size=85:z6oilzbt]
      To save all sentient beings, though beings are numberless.
      To penetrate reality, though reality is boundless.
      To transform all delusion, though delusions are immeasurable.
      To attain the enlightened way, a way non-attainable.
      [/size:z6oilzbt]

Comment

• louis
        • Aug 2007

Hello David.
        Look forward to hearing more from you.

Comment

• Lynn
          • Oct 2007

Greetings, David! Nice to have you "here" and "there." Do join us for our latest book club offering...I think you'll enjoy it and it would be great to have your input.

In Gassho~

*Lynn
          When we wish to teach and enlighten all things by ourselves, we are deluded; when all things teach and enlighten us, we are enlightened. ~Dogen "Genjo Koan"

Comment

• david

Welcome again. We can always use an anarchist around here (as long as not the bomb throwing kind), and until the point that I, as the resident Authoritarian Dictator-for-Life-, order complete obedience and compliance.
            Dear Jundo the Great, president for life and so on... and to all:

the anarchist thing was about 15-17 years ago. Today I'm just a "meditator" who tries to involve his practice in ALL aspects of his life: as a husband, as a father, walking, cykling, swimming and trying to do while sleeping (!)...
            I do keep on questioning, not accepting things easily but rather proving what I consider worthy and listening until my ears drop off, not to miss anything, again and again.

Do you know how I usually finish my morning meditation? my 4 year old daughter gets up and sits on my lap, she says she is meditating with me. It's just Buddha preaching the Dharma.

Anyway, no anarchy-thing but sane inquiry.

And again, thank you all for your warm welcome. I have received my copy of Opening... and will come back later with commentaries.

Comment

Working...