Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ryumon
    • Apr 2007

Quote of the day

"Most of the trouble of the world comes from people trying to get something they do not have but think will make them happy, or trying to get rid of something they think prevents them from being happy. Can we just be content with this situation? Can we appreciate and respect ourselves and the world enough to be as we are?"

Taigen Dan Leighton, Zen Questions

(Posted from my iPhone; please excuse any typos or brevity.)
    I know nothing.
  • Taikyo
    Friend of Treeleaf
    • Nov 2012

As you stop interfering, being in the way,As you stop controlling
    As you give up any hope
    It speaks
    Taigu
    Gassho

David

Comment

• Taigu
      Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage Priest
      • Aug 2008

Or is it ... Leighton?

Whatever, I am lossssssssst ( too many "s" , sorry Boss)

Same good old teaching.

Please, read this book, Zen questions, a great read and a wonderful ride.

Gassho

T.

Comment

• Mp

Thanks Kirk ... And as Taigu says, this book is a wonderful ride! Just finished the book for the second time ... The ride is that good.

Gassho
        Shingen

Comment

• Myosha
          • Mar 2013

"Stop speaking, stop thinking, and there is nothing you cannot understand."

Hsin-hsin Ming ( ?- 606 )

Gassho,
          Edward

"Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Comment

• Mp

Where ever you go, there you are.

Gassho
            Shingen

Comment

• Joyo

well, here's a good one, although I am far from finding Zen while scrubbing the toilet, or cleaning up my dog's crap

The practice of Zen is to eat, breathe, cook, carry water, and scrub the toilet — to infuse every act of body, speech, and mind — with mindfulness, to illuminate every leaf and pebble, every heap of garbage, every path that leads to our mind's return home.

~ Thich Nhat Hanh

Comment

• Heisoku
                • Jun 2010

This is all there is. - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.
                Heisoku 平 息
                Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Comment

• Nindo

Originally posted by kirkmc
                  "Most of the trouble of the world comes from people trying to get something they do not have but think will make them happy, or trying to get rid of something they think prevents them from being happy. Can we just be content with this situation? Can we appreciate and respect ourselves and the world enough to be as we are?"
                  Thinking of the people of Egypt, Syria, Afghanistan; people in poverty and oppression all over the world ... what would they say to this quote?
                  I don't know what to say or do about the discord, the rub I feel with this quote ... yes it's so true, but .... maybe just sit with metta?

Comment

• Dosho
                    • Jun 2008

"Everybody's changing and I don't feel the same." -Keane

Comment

• Heion
                      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Nindo
                      Thinking of the people of Egypt, Syria, Afghanistan; people in poverty and oppression all over the world ... what would they say to this quote?
                      I don't know what to say or do about the discord, the rub I feel with this quote
                      I wonder too, this is something I have thought about before.

The quote is marvelous though, I always like quotes.

Gassho,
                      Alex
                      Look upon the world as a bubble,
                      regard it as a mirage;
                      who thus perceives the world,
                      him Mara, the king of death, does not see.

—Dhammapada

Sat Today

Comment

• Jundo
                        Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                        • Apr 2006

I don't know what to say or do about the discord, the rub I feel with this quote ... yes it's so true, but .... maybe just sit with metta?
                        Hi Nindo,

I feel that your confusion comes from a great, great misunderstanding about the quote. It arises perhaps from looking at this as an "either/or" view, without piercing that samsara is enlightenment.

One can seek, yet be without seeking ... both views AS ONE, NOT TWO. One can want and need, yet be free of want and need ... AT ONCE. One can go and move forward, yet experience that there is no place in need of going or from which one can go. One can totally accept-without-accepting all. One can do a job, step by step, all while knowing that each single step is a complete and fulfilled arrival.

This is especially true when it comes to our small needs, food, shelter, health care and the like. The Buddha, in all his enlightenment, rose every morning to seek food to fill his bowl, a dry place to sleep to get out of the rains. He sought to preach peace where he found war. He sought advice from a physician when ill, sought the companionship of good friends in the way.

We can also work to make this world better, to bring food, shelter, health care, peace to all ... even as we realize, Not Two, that there is "nothing in need of change". People, in their own lives can seek and strive ... knowing the Way of Moderation ... simultaneously knowing the Way of No Seeking, No Striving.

Nindo, all it takes is a change of attitude to see the world so, Not Two. Like one, the other ... and that which sweeps away, sweeps in one and other.

Changing the world, nothing to change (and no one or thing to do or be the changing) AT ONCE!

Gassho, J

PS - Besides the hard work, a bit of Metta cannot hurt either.
                        Last edited by Jundo; 07-10-2013, 03:38 AM.
                        ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Nengyo
                          • May 2012

<this is not a zen answer. Please defer to Jundo for appropriate zenness>

I can't answer for everyone, however, many of the people I met in Afghanistan were quite happy and kind. Except in the areas that were currently experiencing heavy fighting, they seemed to go about life as usual. I spent many days in Afghanistan sitting under fruit trees, eating fresh fruit, drinking tea, and watching children play, talking with their fathers about the world. Life is life...even in combat zones, even when sleepy, hungry, and scared. So, I think many Afghanis would enjoy that quote especially as it applies to the farmers, stuck between foreigners (us and the taliban) fighting for power and riches, while they simply wish to happily walk their grazing sheep with their sons early in the morning.

I say metta for my friends there frequently.
                          If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Comment

• Jundo
                            Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by catfish
                            <this is not a zen answer. Please defer to Jundo for appropriate zenness>

I can't answer for everyone, however, many of the people I met in Afghanistan were quite happy and kind. Except in the areas that were currently experiencing heavy fighting, they seemed to go about life as usual. I spent many days in Afghanistan sitting under fruit trees, eating fresh fruit, drinking tea, and watching children play, talking with their fathers about the world. Life is life...even in combat zones, even when sleepy, hungry, and scared. So, I think many Afghanis would enjoy that quote especially as it applies to the farmers, stuck between foreigners (us and the taliban) fighting for power and riches, while they simply wish to happily walk their grazing sheep with their sons early in the morning.

I say metta for my friends there frequently.
                            ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Taikyo
                              Friend of Treeleaf
                              • Nov 2012

One doesn't have to look far to find poverty and oppression, just look around in local cities towns, villages, streets and homes. And one doesn't have to be wealthy or comfortable or to be one of the affluent in society to be discontented or disatisfied. Poverty and oppression is both structural and personal and often the way to help towards mitigating both is change one's self. It seems to me by practice, by keeping the precepts and practicing metta and dhana, we help others. Not meaning to preach or seem 'superior' here, just this is the way it seems to me.

Gassho

David

Comment

Working...