• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZenO
    • Oct 2024

Life Of Master Dogen

Hello All,

Im new here and just wanted to say Hi .

As Im here thought I would share this film with you, don't know if its been posted before??

Gassho

Owen
  • Juki
    • Dec 2012

I have a copy of this on DVD. I like the film quite a bit, even though it takes a few liberties with some of the biographical details of Dogen's life. But it is certainly worth seeing. The scenes of Dogen in China are great.

Gassho,

William
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by William Anderson
      I have a copy of this on DVD. I like the film quite a bit, even though it takes a few liberties with some of the biographical details of Dogen's life. But it is certainly worth seeing. The scenes of Dogen in China are great.

Gassho,

William
      I too enjoyed it, but yes, some stretching of details were there.

Gassho
      Shingen

Comment

• Jundo
        Treeleaf Founder and Priest
        • Apr 2006

Actually, it came up just earlier today, along with some other Zen and Buddhist films ...

If you haven't already seen this film, I hope that you will take the time to see it. www.imdb.com/title/tt1212007/ (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1212007/) It streams on Netflix currently (who knows for how long because, you know, it's Netflix). For anyone who can't access Netflix, I would go as far as to say you wouldn't

Below is my short review of the Master Dogen movie.

Hi, Please keep an eye out for the new bio-movie on Master Dogen ... titled "ZEN" ... Probably only available in Japanese for awhile, but looks pretty good (as such movies go). The preview below is chock full of Dogen-isms that you'all should be familiar with from hanging around here at Treeleaf ... ... such

Gassho, J
        Last edited by Jundo; 04-25-2013, 04:43 AM.
        ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Taigu
          Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage Priest
          • Aug 2008

yes...well...nice fiction with a lot of goodies.

The awakening moment is...hilarious.

Denpo ceremony is very faithful to the real procedure, and the shiho ( trnasmission silk document) seen on the screen is a faithful copy of the real one ( I have it as a copy coming from Nishijima).

Good moments and wonderful words uttered by the Kabuki actor who plays Dogen.

gassho

Taigu

Comment

• Geika
            Treeleaf Unsui
            • Jan 2010

I watched this movie a few months ago and liked it. I think it is a good way to introduce someone specifically to this branch of Buddhism, if they have the interest. A bit corny at parts, but I know I'm an extreme cynic so I'm starting to just watch movies and keep my mouth shut.
            求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
            I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

Working...