• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Myozan Kodo
    Friend of Treeleaf
    • May 2010

Rolling Calendar

Hi all,
    I know many of you don't look at the Calendar often, but do look at these threads. So, in addition to the calendar, I thought I'd open up this rolling thread where people can post events that are about to happen ... like "sitting zazen in our Zendo in half an hour", and the like. I hope it is useful. If it isn't, it will simply die off.
    Gassho,
    Myozan
  • Seimyo
    • Jan 2012

Great idea! It might not be a bad idea to park it as a sticky post if it's alright with Jundo.

Gassho.
    Chris

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

Comment

• Shohei
      • Oct 2007

Great idea!

Sitting Zazen in our zendo this evening, Tuesday January 8th, 9pm AST.

Gassho
      Shohei

Comment

• Mp

Diddo ... great idea Myozan.

Gassho
        Michael

Comment

• Shugen
          Treeleaf Unsui
          • Nov 2007

Kojip sits every morning at 6:30am EST (GMT -5 I think). I join him about half the time. If I don't drag my lazy carcass out of bed in the morning, I sit in the evening around 9pm. I'll be sitting tonight I do believe. (Sorry I'm going to miss your sit Shohei!)

Shugen
          Meido Shugen
          明道 修眼

Comment

• Myoku
            • Jul 2010

Hello everyone,
            I'm not sure its a great idea. Myozan has a good thought, he says "in addition" and for imminent sitting, but will it stay this way OR being used for all kind of zazen times announcements ? Moreover ... isnt the Calendar generally more suited ?

When I look at a thread, I need to read many posts, wheras in the Calendar I see it at a glance whats happening today,

Moreover, here I see a couple of timezones I dont know and where I need to look up a timezone website how that translates into my local time, whereas the calendar shows every single item right in my time zone.

Finally, for the sitter its easier to just post, not much to do, but the work is for people doing the above mentioned, whereas the Calendar is a bit more work (really it never takes me longer than a few minutes) whereas the potential sitting partners have less work.

Finally 2 (the sequel) one of the ideas of the rework with the Community was to move from Posts + Google Calendar + Treeleaf Calendar to ONE Calendar, as the threefold time announcements not worked too good ( I trust some people found each other, but wouldnt it be better to have one place to look at, I feel YES )

Of course you can do as you like, and thats just me, but I believe if you spend a single minute with the calendar its serving this purpose much better. I know some people hate the calendar, but wouldnt it be a good practice to try it (again) ? Its three steps (see http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?10484), it might take a few time, but it never takes more than a minute for me now.

Gassho
            Myoku

Comment

• Shugen
              Treeleaf Unsui
              • Nov 2007

You make some valid points Myoku. I'm one of those guilty of disliking the calendar (It's difficult for me to do from my phone and I'm not always at a computer)

Gassho
              Meido Shugen
              明道 修眼

Comment

• Myozan Kodo
                Friend of Treeleaf
                • May 2010

Hi all,
                It seems there are a number of views here, as is natural. Some for. Some against.

If people feel this is a bad idea, as I said at the outset, this thread will simply fall into disuse.

If it is useful, then it might be used.

No matter.

Gassho
                Myozan

Comment

• Shujin
                  Treeleaf Unsui
                  • Feb 2010

Hi folks - thought I would chime in. I see the point in both formats. The calendar is great for people who know their schedule in advance. We need this. Posting on G+ or in a thread if your schedule changes frequently can also be helpful. Making a sweeping generalization, I would say that the evening sitters (at least in this part of the world) have to contend with the latter. I'll post my sits on the calendar when I can; please forgive me when I'm relegated to make spur of the moment sitting decisions.

In any event, thank you to everyone who posted. You have made the G+ sitting experience what it is today.

Gassho,
                  Shujin
                  Kyōdō Shujin 教道 守仁

Comment

• Shohei
                    • Oct 2007

Hi all
                    In my case, as Shujin pointed out, I am at the mercy of my wifes schedule and my children's ability to fall to sleep or stall that... drinks, pee break, boogy men etc.
                    So In my case I set up my events in the calendar far in advance knowing full well there will be a chance this will need to be altered last minute once in a while.

The calendar is very key part of the google+ zendo idea and its important to get the sittings posted there. Posting here does not hurt at all, and is a bit more visible so a bit of redundancy to ensure folks know whats going on when is not a bad thing. If folks do not find it too useful it will certainly fade out.

Gassho
                    Shohei

Comment

• Myozan Kodo
                      Friend of Treeleaf
                      • May 2010

Got 40 mins free. So going to meditate on Google+ now for 30 mins. It's 19:10 GMT on Friday evening.
                      Gassho
                      M

Comment

• Shugen
                        Treeleaf Unsui
                        • Nov 2007

Going to re-sit the zazenkai in about 5 minutes.....
                        Meido Shugen
                        明道 修眼

Comment

• Shohei
                          • Oct 2007

Hi all
                          Tonights sitting (9 pm AST) will be shortened to one session of zazen no chanting as I am recovering from the flu and my eldest complained my "noise" kept her up and she couldnt get back to sleep last time :P. So for this sitting only It will be "no-frills"

Gassho
                          Shohei

Comment

• Myozan Kodo
                            Friend of Treeleaf
                            • May 2010

Wednesday Evening Zazen is in two and a half hours time: at 9pm GMT. All welcome. Gassho.

Comment

• Shohei
                              • Oct 2007

Hi folks
                              Early to bed tonight, 30 minutes of zazen only, instead of the multi zazen, kinhin and chanting.
                              Will be on at 8 est/9 ast this evening.

Gassho
                              Shohei

Comment

Working...