Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eika
    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Jundo

I also like longer sittings. In fact, for Rokatsu (Buddha's Enlightenment Day), I am thinking to do one, intense, Jundo Patented, 'Zen-athon'© ... maybe 4 hours of 55 minute sits, back to back, broken only with 5 minute Kinhin (optional).
    At the end of the summer I took a trip to Windhorse Zen Community in western North Carolina. They are a group of folks who migrated south from the Rochester group (Kapleau's folks I believe). They would sit for 40–45 minutes with a pause halfway through to simply move your legs, shift your weight, stretch, etc. The 'break' was only about 30 seconds and there was no talking or significant moving. I know their tradition is a bit of Rinzai and a bit of Soto combined, but I was curious as to whether or not this mini-leg-rest is common in Soto practice.
    Any ideas?

Bill
    [size=150:m8cet5u6]??[/size:m8cet5u6] We are involved in a life that passes understanding and our highest business is our daily life---John Cage

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by DontKnow
      I was curious as to whether or not this mini-leg-rest is common in Soto practice.
      Any ideas?

Bill
      I do not know it. Anyone else?

Gassho, Jundo
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Drut
        • Jun 2007

On the subject of "Insta-Sittings", airplanes are great for me. The roar of the airplane makes it impossible for me to understand anyone unless they are speaking right into my ear (hard of hearing) so I forgo the complimentary smoked almonds and bottled water and "sit". I'm comfortable, I don't personally have the falling asleep problem and I can trust that my body is safe or if not then it would be a reeealy good time to practise. Sitting like that for an hr. (o.k. maybe that isn't an "Insta.") is something I wish I could do every day. It turns what some might see as an ordeal into a genuine treat. We are very lucky to have this.

Comment

• Jundo
          Treeleaf Founder and Priest
          • Apr 2006

http://treeleafzen.blogspot.com/2007/07 ... zazen.html
          ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

Working...